• Nov 9th, 2016 7:25 am
Tags:
None
Dec 6, 2012
752 posts
518 upvotes
Montréal, QC

Wal-Mart.com geoblocking us?

I seem to recall that not too long ago I was able to buy things on WM USA website and go pick them in store. Now I cannot check availability, I always have a message saying "Information unavailable", I asked a friend in the US and he told me he can see every info, so WM is geoblocking canadians Disappointed Face
13 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
Magister wrote: I seem to recall that not too long ago I was able to buy things on WM USA website and go pick them in store. Now I cannot check availability, I always have a message saying "Information unavailable", I asked a friend in the US and he told me he can see every info, so WM is geoblocking canadians Disappointed Face
Curious, what were you looking at? Would you be able to share a link as an example?
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
I just tried a few things and I agree with you. It seems that they are blocking us for some reason. I even used my US account and US address for my login and it still would not let me do anything.
RFD 15 73H 1337
Dec 6, 2012
752 posts
518 upvotes
Montréal, QC
I was checking car audio, Pioneer avh-2800bs for instance, because it's really cheaper than in Canada...

I have an account on WM USA and used it last summer for pickup, it was working, but now we are blocked, I guess we will need a VPN to order.
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2006
1078 posts
663 upvotes
Somewhere between Mi…
Thanks Mulroney. Your free trade idea is working out great, for Americans and corporations.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2005
2065 posts
355 upvotes
Ottawa
noway wrote: Thanks Mulroney. Your free trade idea is working out great, for Americans and corporations.
I guess the "wall" is being built at the "mart"?
RFD 15 73H 1337
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Magister wrote: I seem to recall that not too long ago I was able to buy things on WM USA website and go pick them in store. Now I cannot check availability, I always have a message saying "Information unavailable", I asked a friend in the US and he told me he can see every info, so WM is geoblocking canadians Disappointed Face
So turn off location ("geolocation" in Chrome, "location-aware" in Firefox) in your browser settings. Then manually set your local store on WalMart's website. Now you can add stuff to your cart (and presumably order for local pickup, etc. although I didn't try that.)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
noway wrote: Thanks Mulroney. Your free trade idea is working out great, for Americans and corporations.
Vote for Trump - then he can eliminate it completely.

I was just on walmart.com, I can lookup stuff fine but I didnt try ordering anything. We're heading down shortly so wanted to check some pricing..

I can't figure out how to get to target.com at all...keeps re-directing me. Need to get a proxy setup again I guess....
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29710 posts
29129 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
U4IA wrote: I can't figure out how to get to target.com at all...keeps re-directing me. Need to get a proxy setup again I guess....
No proxy needed, If you find yourself on http://intl.target.com/ then click the Canadian flag at the top right of the page. Specify United States and you'll be on http://www.target.com/.
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2006
3164 posts
26391 upvotes
Toronto
I had the same issue with Target.com recently. I had to use TunnelBear - https://www.tunnelbear.com/ - to help me access the USA site. It is a Chrome based add-on that works as a VPN.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 10, 2004
5083 posts
2804 upvotes
Edmonton
bylo wrote:
U4IA wrote: I can't figure out how to get to target.com at all...keeps re-directing me. Need to get a proxy setup again I guess....
No proxy needed, If you find yourself on http://intl.target.com/ then click the Canadian flag at the top right of the page. Specify United States and you'll be on http://www.target.com/.
Thanks, didnt notice that before.... I just typing target.com and it kept redirecting me so I got pee'd off..lol.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31271 posts
17295 upvotes
bylo wrote:
So turn off location ("geolocation" in Chrome, "location-aware" in Firefox) in your browser settings. Then manually set your local store on WalMart's website. Now you can add stuff to your cart (and presumably order for local pickup, etc. although I didn't try that.)
Is that all they did?
Most sites that geolocate us IP based services.
Not that I'm complaining because if that's all it is it's easily bypassed unlike a "real" geofencing solution.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21265 posts
6248 upvotes
Poormond Hill
I guess they don't want Canadians living by the border buy it out before the locals can get them.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Apr 18, 2008
353 posts
104 upvotes
Yes I've experienced that on walmart.com. Needed a VPN to see the item being available.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)