Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Fram Orange Oil Filters $ 3.50 & up

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2009 9:51 pm
Tags:
None
Dec 4, 2008
280 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver

[Walmart] Fram Orange Oil Filters $ 3.50 & up

Guildford Surrey out of PH3614 - $ 3.98
Grandview Hwy - plenty of PH3614
Tough Guard 3614 - $ 5.98

no idea about other model numbers.

most regular ones are on sale (roll back)

Call or check your local Wal-Mart.

=
22 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1119 posts
271 upvotes
Went to the Walmart in Waterloo and same deal was one, picked up enough filters for the next couple of years :)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 22, 2008
6949 posts
7523 upvotes
BC
fram makes some of the lowest quality oil filters.
Dec 4, 2008
280 posts
5 upvotes
Vancouver
yea i stocked up too. i went to like 2 different locations and was only able to pick up one from each location.

then went to the third location and there was plenty... lol

they are okay quality. most people have regular cars so FRAM Orange should be good enough. or you can get FRAM Tough Guard which is also on sale.
Deal Addict
Oct 28, 2003
1325 posts
35 upvotes
So does anyone know if "long life synthetic oil filters" are the real deal, or a waste of money. I run synthetic in my car (the cheap kind usually) and change my oil twice a year. Would synthetic oil filters help out?
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2179 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure relief valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. DuPont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

Fram High Mileage

Yet another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram! Gotta love these guys. It's a Fram Extra Guard with a weird goo cartridge suspended on the clean side of the filter, blocking the outlet. It's supposed to be some kind of additive package, but if you want a high mileage oil, buy a high mileage oil. I don't trust these guys...sorry.
[/QUOTE]

Source
"Our lives are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2179 posts
34 upvotes
Toronto
Filters To Avoid

The following list of filters have known problems. You will see well-known names here and will probably be disappointed. This is because many of these brands have stopped making their own filters and buy from a common manufacturer.

AC Delco Duraguard

AC Delco no longer seems to manufacture oil filters. They are now made by Champion Labs using their new "Ecore" design. See that section below for the details.

Champ (Ecore)

Champion Labs touts their new "Ecore" design as a major advancement in oil filter technology. In my humble opinion, they are a major advancement in cost savings for Champion. I have no data to back this up, but that's what fiber end caps and plastic core tubes say to me. I particularly don't like their "patent pending" bypass valve design, which depends on the stamped leaf spring at the back of the filter to regulate the bypass pressure. One unlucky dent in the back of the can knocks it out of whack, assuming it was correct to begin with.

Fram Extra Guard

Years ago Fram was a quality filter manufacturer. Now their standard filter (the radioactive-orange cans) is one of the worst out there. It features cardboard end caps for the filter element that are glued in place. The rubber anti-drainback valve seals against the cardboard and frequently leaks, causing dirty oil to drain back into the pan. The bypass valves are plastic and are sometimes not molded correctly, which allows them to leak all the time. The stamped-metal threaded end is weakly constructed and it has smaller and fewer oil inlet holes, which may restrict flow. I had one of these filters fail in my previous car. The filter element collapsed and bits of filter and glue were circulating through my system. The oil passage to the head became blocked and the head got so hot from oil starvation that it actually melted the vacuum lines connected to it as well as the wires near it.

Fram Double Guard

Another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram. The filter itself is a slightly improved design over the Fram Extra Guard, but still uses the same filter element. It has a silicone anti-drainback valve, a quality pressure relief valve, and enough inlet holes for good flow. The big problem is that they are trying to cash in on the Slick 50 craze. They impregnate the filter element with bits of Teflon like that found in Slick 50. As with Slick 50, Teflon is a solid and does not belong in an engine. It cannot get into the parts of the engine that oil can and therefore does nothing. Also, as the filter gets dirty, it ends up filtering the Teflon right out. DuPont (the manufacturer of Teflon) does not recommend Teflon for use in internal combustion engines. Please do not waste your money on this filter.

Fram High Mileage

Yet another bad filter idea brought to you by your friends at Fram! Gotta love these guys. It's a Fram Extra Guard with a weird goo cartridge suspended on the clean side of the filter, blocking the outlet. It's supposed to be some kind of additive package, but if you want a high mileage oil, buy a high mileage oil. I don't trust these guys...sorry.

Pennzoil

This filter is a Fram. It is the exact same design as the Fram Extra Guard filter and it is junk. On the up side, it costs $1 less than the Fram version.

Quaker State

This is another Fram Extra Guard that I have seen at K-mart. It used to be a Purolator, but Quaker State is now owned/controlled by Pennzoil...
"Our lives are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2002
2552 posts
403 upvotes
Durham Region
Yup I can confirm this with regular Fram filters! During my last oil change the rubber gasket/seal around the filter was leaking!!! Made me panic.... Worst....filter....ever!
Now the question is which filter to buy....I wish I could afford K&N all the time...
Nov 26, 2003
572 posts
55 upvotes
Well with that list, all filters commonly sold at WM and CT should now be avoided. So how about someone suggesting a reasonably priced oil filter sold at a well known store.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2258 posts
438 upvotes
Toronto West
Lukus wrote: Well with that list, all filters commonly sold at WM and CT should now be avoided. So how about someone suggesting a reasonably priced oil filter sold at a well known store.
partsmaster if you can find em run about $30 for a case of 12 and are made by purolator

I have to get mine from my mechanic but i THINK napa may carry them.
Feedback - Hofo--Heatware--RedFlag[/B]
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
1460 posts
41 upvotes
GTA
cheap_guy wrote: So does anyone know if "long life synthetic oil filters" are the real deal, or a waste of money. I run synthetic in my car (the cheap kind usually) and change my oil twice a year. Would synthetic oil filters help out?
Fram Synthetic or X2 is built for longevity, metal screen and end caps, thicker and larger filtering surface, silicone anti drain back valve (which Tough Guard also have it). Wix filters have been recommended here, you can get it as NAPA Gold. If you want the best filtering it will be Purolator PureONE and AMSOIL EaBP bypass filtering 98.7% @ 2 micron.
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
2771 posts
59 upvotes
Vancouver
For people who want a FRAM Filter, Canadian Tire is offering one free with a purchase of Castrol Oil. Details is in their flyer.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2009
1232 posts
415 upvotes
Burlington
When I was in WalMart in Michigan last summer they had SuperTech oil filters for my car and they were only $2.50 each, and at the time our dollar was about par with USD so I bought a few to try them out.

Why doesn't WalMart carry these filters in Canada? The only choice you have at bigbox stores in Canada seems to be FRAM, they have a huge monopoly!
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2004
1460 posts
41 upvotes
GTA
the SuperTech price is what Fram Extra Guard should be at
Aug 19, 2002
461 posts
235 upvotes
I'd rather stuff my engine full of kleenex than use a Fram oil filter. You should try cutting one open some time, just cheap useless junk.

It's too bad the Motomaster brand switched several years back to being rebadged Fram, they used to be half decent filters.

I use Wix filters nowadays. NAPA carries them, I think. I usually get mine from a local Piston Ring shop.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19791 posts
3421 upvotes
Woodbridge
I know this is RedFlagDeals but I find it very strange when one cannot spend $10+ EVERY 3 months for a High Quality Oil & Filter for their $20k+ vehicle, even if it's just to get them to Point A-to-Point B.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Nov 20, 2006
284 posts
5 upvotes
Waterloo
Fram will work fine, it's just not worth the 4 bucks, go to napa and get their pro select filter which is 3.44 and much better built then the fram.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)