Shopping Discussion

[Wal-Mart] Is this "Return Fraud" or an ok thing to do?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 31st, 2015 11:24 am
Apr 9, 2008
564 posts
257 upvotes
Bby

[Wal-Mart] Is this "Return Fraud" or an ok thing to do?

I purchased a TV from wal-mart last week. I've since taken it out of the box, mounted it on my wall and hooked it into my htpc/home theater setup. A couple days ago I saw the same TV for $50 cheaper plus no tax at superstore. So I bought it.

Now I have two identical TVs, one on my wall and one in the box. I want to return one to wal-mart so I can save $120. Wal-mart is close to my house. Superstore is far.

The way I see it, my options are (in order of easiest to biggest PITA):
  1. Attempt to return the TV from superstore to wal-mart (serial numbers are not printed on either receipt)
  2. Bring both receipts to Wal-Mart to get the price matched, and return the unopened TV back to superstore
  3. Dig the original TV box out of the recycling, tape it back together, pull the new TV out of its box, put it in the old box and return it to Wal-Mart.
  4. Dig the original TV box out of the recycling, tape it back together, take the TV off the wall, put it in the box and take it back to Wal-Mart and keep the new TV from superstore.
Option 54 is a major pain, but probably the most honest and 100% sure to work.
Option 1 may be considered "return fraud" but damn if it isn't convenient, and neither store has to deal with an "open box" item.

What do you guys recommend I do? Do serial numbers get recorded and cross referenced upon purchase/return?
74 replies
Nov 16, 2014
79 posts
13 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
I think option 1 would be most convenient for everyone. You get the TV you want, and Walmart gets to sell a brand new TV.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 3, 2014
6089 posts
4352 upvotes
What is that Option 5 you are talking about?
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2013
3038 posts
1059 upvotes
A small town north o…
Hmmmm...... seems to me Walmart is going to scan the barcode, and if it's the Superstore TV they are going to know it didn't come from their inventory. Things are gonna get mighty awkward for all concerned at this point. It would take a lot of balls to try this, I sure wouldn't do it.
Apr 9, 2008
564 posts
257 upvotes
Bby
I tried option 2 and the electronics department manager was cool with it, but the customer service rep up front would not honor the "no tax" part. The price would have been adjusted to $549+eco fee + tax. So I guess option 4 it is.
Penalty Box
May 12, 2011
3407 posts
487 upvotes
North Vancouver
Nothing wrong with option 1 if it's the same tv.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
Same UPC?

If no2 is no go
Go no1.
And im sure WM too would rather get brand new unit from Superstore than you returning original but used unit.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 23, 2007
5156 posts
1315 upvotes
London
Option 1. Fraud is putting rocks or a broken TV back in the box and returning it. You're return the exact same product here. I don't see why it makes a difference where it came from.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Obviously option #4, so long as WM are okay with the state of the box. If not, option #5 (my addition) - return the RCSS one. You were too quick to open and install the WM unit and to trash the box. Next time you'll be a bit more patient. You don't save the extra money that way, but at least you're still completely covered warranty and fraud-wise. Options 1 & 3 could lead to problems.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
spham wrote: Option 1. Fraud is putting rocks or a broken TV back in the box and returning it. You're return the exact same product here. I don't see why it makes a difference where it came from.
It's not the exact same when the s/n is different. These are TVs, not floor mats.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
importpsycho wrote: Same UPC?

If no2 is no go
Go no1.
And im sure WM too would rather get brand new unit from Superstore than you returning original but used unit.
Option 1, if missed by the CSR, leaves WM selling a TV meant to be sold by RCSS. If the next buyer then runs into problems and tries getting warranty service they will be denied, since their receipt is from WM, not the expected RCSS. So that buyer gets screwed. Are you happy to screw a stranger? What if that stranger is poor, or a pensioner? What if it's a relative of yours? How would you like it to happen to you?

It's best to do the right thing and return whichever unit to the same store you bought it from. Even if you miss out on the best price. You must have been satisfied with the WM deal, right?
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
spham wrote: Option 1. Fraud is putting rocks or a broken TV back in the box and returning it. You're return the exact same product here. I don't see why it makes a difference where it came from.
I agree. Assuming all barcodes are identical, you are returning the identical product you bought. Fraud would be if the product was in different condition some way than the one you originally bought.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2011
3518 posts
689 upvotes
Allenford
liquidnails wrote: I tried option 2 and the electronics department manager was cool with it, but the customer service rep up front would not honor the "no tax" part. The price would have been adjusted to $549+eco fee + tax. So I guess option 4 it is.
while # 1 is best for all round, after reading this, ***** Wm and option 4 is what they deserve :)
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
3252 posts
3029 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
MaxPower19 wrote: I agree. Assuming all barcodes are identical, you are returning the identical product you bought. Fraud would be if the product was in different condition some way than the one you originally bought.
Actually, no. Fraud would be not returning the item you originally bought. Fraud is gaining an advantage through misrepresentation or deceit. You're taking it to the return counter with the Wal Mart receipt, you're misrepresenting that this was the item you bought and the receipt is for that item.

Unless you say something like "I bought the same TV cheaper elsewhere and although this isn't the actual TV it's the same model, barcode, etc and it's in an unopened box..." and the clerk agrees to accept the return on that basis, it is a fraudulent act.

Of course, one could speak to the return manager and say something like "here are my choices - return an unopened TV from another store that I purchased for less (no tax), or return the actual TV I bought but that has been used and therefore is open box...what would you like me to do?"
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2008
2162 posts
965 upvotes
Victoria
ALLCAPS wrote: Actually, no. Fraud would be not returning the item you originally bought. Fraud is gaining an advantage through misrepresentation or deceit. You're taking it to the return counter with the Wal Mart receipt, you're misrepresenting that this was the item you bought and the receipt is for that item.

Unless you say something like "I bought the same TV cheaper elsewhere and although this isn't the actual TV it's the same model, barcode, etc and it's in an unopened box..." and the clerk agrees to accept the return on that basis, it is a fraudulent act.

Of course, one could speak to the return manager and say something like "here are my choices - return an unopened TV from another store that I purchased for less (no tax), or return the actual TV I bought but that has been used and therefore is open box...what would you like me to do?"
Actually no, if you are returning an identical item in identical condition, you are fulfilling all legal terms of exchange.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
5148 posts
1070 upvotes
Id do the first option IF the upcs are the same and there was no s/n indication on the receipt. This way you get your price and walmart gets a brand new tv back. If you are hesitant speak to the store manager and explain the situation; chances are he will match the price if not I'm sure he would gladly take a bnib sealed back. But most likely they will open it to check new or not anyways.
"The first rule of RFD is, you do not talk about RFD."
Banned
May 12, 2004
9756 posts
4136 upvotes
Ottawa
#1 but check the SKU/bar code. Make sure it's not a Walmart only sku you have.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)