Home & Garden

Walkout basement framing for above ground wall

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 7th, 2017 8:44 pm
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
4 posts

Walkout basement framing for above ground wall

I am trying to get some quotes for finishing a walkout basement. The wall that is completely above ground was framed by the builder. Some of the contractors say they will just change the insulation and hang drywall on top of this existing framing. One contractor said that that this is a load bearing wall so he can't hang drywall on that wall. He will be framing in front of the existing framing and hang drywall on this new framing. What is the right way to work on such walls? Is there anything in Ontario code that applies here? I am not sure who is right? Will appreciate some expert opinions on this issue. Thanks in advance for your suggestions
10 replies
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
4 posts
Framing is done using 2X6 studs. Attaching pictures as suggested.
Images
  • 9CE6D1FF-CCF4-4556-87C3-C96F2DCA7A8F.jpeg
  • 3468DFD6-EBCE-4530-B22F-BAB63AFE8495.jpeg
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
822 upvotes
Paris
My parents place was built in 2002 and is a 100% walkout with full windows and a patio door in the back. The foundation is 4' down and protrudes about 12" where the patio door is. 100% drywall hung on that wall and its for sure load bearing (joists run to it).

On the first floor of a 2 story house those are all load bearing walls and drywall is hung on them as well.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1838 posts
760 upvotes
KINGSTON,ON
If you couldn't put drywall on load bearing walls, a big chunk of the walls in your house would have no drywall on them. Now, moving or removing a load bearing wall is another story.
Only issues I can see are the metal support post and waste stack (the black plastic pipe) in the first image and the heat duct in the second. That's the only reason I can see as to why one guy wants to put up another wall. If you are OK with protrusions, those elements can be boxed in.
I'm not sure why the insulation would need to be changed though.
Oct 14, 2010
861 posts
341 upvotes
Barrie ON
What is this wall made of? Didn't they make all 4 of your basement walls from the same material ( either concrete block, or poured concrete).

Isn't this wall just framed and dry-walled because the building code says "Where there is a walkout basement, the wall that contains the exterior door opening and basement walls with more than 50% exposed above grade are treated the same as above-grade walls.".

If my assumptions are correct then the concrete wall is supporting your floor joists and not the stud wall.
[OP]
Dec 5, 2017
4 posts
Thanks for the replies. Three walls are concrete. This wall that’s above ground from bottom up is framed all the way and is insulated. I can see plywood behind the insulation in this wall. Very small portion of the walls adjoining it are framed but that is only a feet from the top. Thanks for your time.
Deal Fanatic
May 12, 2004
9231 posts
3314 upvotes
Ottawa
Anything above grade of your walkout needs to be insulated as any other interior wall so R24 (as of 2012).

How to get there is up to you but 6" of what you have now is R3.14 per inch x 6" so R18.84.

There are 2 ways to get there;
1) rip out what's there currently and get a newer 6" R24 (i.e. Roxul comfortbatts)
2) Build a 2nd 2x4 wall and get that missing R5.x

Required R value was changed in 2012 from R18 (what you have) to R24 (revised code). So I'm assuming your house was built prior to 2012 and at the time was up to code.

Assuming both contractors are working to code, one contractor probably wants to build a 2nd wall to get that missing 5.x, the other wants to rip out what's there sand replace it to get his R-value. Neither are wrong....but you can hang drywall directly on that wall that contractor is full of shit....and his approach is actually much cheaper that's why he's BSing you.
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2007
2980 posts
822 upvotes
Paris
Cas77 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:08 pm
Neither are wrong....but you can hang drywall directly on that wall that contractor is full of shit....and his approach is actually much cheaper that's why he's BSing you.
I only clicked on this thread again as I saw @cas77 reply and he did not disappoint. Totally forgot that angle.
Gbill2004: Thanks but I'll just smell the couch before/if I buy it.

jonnyb: I go in there like PICASSO and toss the glue everywhere, I don't care what house I'm on.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2005
4404 posts
789 upvotes
Kitchener
I'd spray foam it with 2lb closed cell, R6 per inch and with the exterior 1" foam sheeting you'll be above code