None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3742 posts
25 upvotes

Wall mounting TV to concrete+drywall

Hey guys,

Looking to mount a 55 inch tv (49 lb) to one of the condo walls, which is concrete with a drywall layer on top. Any thoughts on how I can go about doing this? Most instructions I was able to find online refer to strictly concrete/drywall/wood walls.

Thanks.
8 replies
Banned
Apr 13, 2009
3874 posts
109 upvotes
Toronto
nsd wrote:
Mar 12th, 2012 3:07 pm
Hey guys,

Looking to mount a 55 inch tv (49 lb) to one of the condo walls, which is concrete with a drywall layer on top. Any thoughts on how I can go about doing this? Most instructions I was able to find online refer to strictly concrete/drywall/wood walls.

Thanks.

Are you sure the drywall is secured directly to the concrete and not metal/wood studs between? Sounds like it would take forever to hang drywall on concrete.

If the drywall is indeed attached to the concrete wall directly, I would imagine you would use the same technique as you would hanging it directly on concrete. Just make sure the lag bolts/anchors penetrate deep enough into the concrete.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2005
3742 posts
25 upvotes
Tbh I am not sure, construction is not my forte :( . What I have seen is the thickness of the drywall - 1 to 1.5 cm tops.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5381 posts
362 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Pretty sure you can just hang it as if it is a concrete wall (this is what we did at one point), but I am not an expert ...
There's a sucker born every minute.
Jan 3, 2008
708 posts
60 upvotes
W.GTA
You need to do a concrete wall installation with the weight that you got, you will need to use a drop-in anchor (best) or Lag shields.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1061 posts
109 upvotes
1cm drywall? I think you best check again, not sure if you should be trying to do this either.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 2, 2008
9741 posts
428 upvotes
To drill into my older apartment concrete walls I had to rent a hammer drill from home depot. Even with that..it was a pain to drill into the concrete and I wasn't even sure if it was working at times.

Very frustrating!
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
7697 posts
320 upvotes
yeah, go to HD, you'll need some really long lagbolts and a very good bit + decent hand drill (won't burn up and decent torque).

That being said it won't be too hard, but you'll need some patience. I installed a heavy gate door and it took some time to install lag bolts on the side of my brick home.

good luck!

-sg
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Addict
Aug 16, 2010
2956 posts
225 upvotes
Aurora
I would say standard Tapcon concrete screws, 1/4 or 3/8 inch diameter and 3 inches long would be perfectly adequate for the job. I think concrete sleeve anchors would be overkill.

By the way, yes, you will need a hammer drill. I have one and it, along with a masonary bit, should drill through concrete like it was butter. Slowtyper, are you sure you had the drill on "hammer" setting? Hammer drills have a setting for no impact function so they can be used as a normal drill - maybe that's what happened to you.
× < >