• Last Updated:
  • Jan 23rd, 2013 8:52 pm
Tags:
None
Aug 29, 2006
628 posts
9 upvotes

Wall Mounting TV's

I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere, but does anyone know of any RFD favourite Plasma Screen Wall Mounters? I have a 5 yr Old 42" Panasonic Viera Plasma (heavy as hell). I want to mount it on my wall, but I live in a condo and not sure if the walls are concrete or metal studs...

Can anyone recommend, including burying cables and speaker wires? Also, I'm looking at a swivel/tilting bracket and saw one on monoprice.com for $42.00 - is it worth it?

Cheers
11 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2006
4156 posts
268 upvotes
Burlington, Ontario
If you are going to mount a heavy TV using an articulating bracket on a steel studded wall, you are going to either have to open the wall up to re-enforce it, or pray that the anchors do not pull through. Hiding wires can sometimes be done providing the wall has enough cavity space in it.

If it's a concrete wall, not usually an issue with lag shields and 5/16" lags. You will not be burying wires on this wall.

We are doing a luxury condo building right now, each suite where a TV is going to be mounted we are backing the wall with plywood and getting all the wiring in place ahead of time before the drywall.
Audio - Video - Data - Security - This is what I do
Feb 2, 2008
409 posts
136 upvotes
Montreal, QC
bwhizz wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:07 pm
... Also, I'm looking at a swivel/tilting bracket and saw one on monoprice.com for $42.00 - is it worth it?

Cheers
Check the shipping costs before deciding. I'm a huge monoprice fan, but for mounting brackets the shipping killed the deal. I ended up buying from Costco.ca (sorry, I'm too lazy to lookup the actual SKU for you).
Deal Addict
Aug 6, 2009
2682 posts
398 upvotes
Aurora, ON
Not sure where you're located but a few months back, after researching here on RFD, I ordered from Cables on Sale ( http://www.cablesonsale.ca/index.php/ )
The stock seems to be monoprice, good quality IMO, for a good price. You order and pick up locally..no customs/duties. In my case the pickup was at a UPS (or purolator?) in Richmond Hill.
The mount I got is very well made (corner mount) and heavy, shipping/handling was $2. As for mounting..I'm in a house and screwed into studs.

Oh, and I didn't bury cables...got some nice wire covers at Sayal in Markham and it looks pretty good to me :)
May 28, 2012
8932 posts
1526 upvotes
Saskatoon
Make sure to check the product specifications...it will tell you the maximum size and weight the mount will hold. Also consider how it will attach on the wall. We have one television that is in a corner and it needed a fully articulating mount using only one stud. It was difficult to find that configuration, and it was really expensive when we did manage to find something suitable. If you don't need anything fancy, I would get it at Costco..they have a few in their warehouse, but there are lots more choices online, and shipping is free. My guess is that a $42 bracket won't work for a 42" television, a heavy plasma one at that.
[OP]
Aug 29, 2006
628 posts
9 upvotes
Thanks guys!

what about recommending someone who can do the install?
Mar 11, 2007
230 posts
34 upvotes
Cost of shipping TV mounts from Monoprice will kill the deal. Alternatively You also can try onlybestrated.com with local pick-up in Mississauga.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2003
3418 posts
426 upvotes
Kingston
Did you find out if its a concrete wall?
I used to live in a Condo and the walls were concrete fire wall behind the drywall. Depending on what kind of condo you live in yours probably are too. Mine was like a townhouse, neighbours were attached so they had to have the firewall between the two houses.

Concrete is easy to mount. If thats what it is I'll post a pic of what I did with my old house to manage the wires. Simple fix with pipe.

After doing a search on Google Im pretty sure all condos have to have concrete walls.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4801 posts
517 upvotes
if you have a specialized tv .... and a specialized wall -- don't buy a $42 bracket and try and diy if you have no idea what you're doing.

my condo has both normal drywall with studs and concrete walls depending on where.

this is mounted on concrete - it wasnt a problem at all

Mar 13, 2011
207 posts
14 upvotes
Heartbreak Ridge
I guess in a condo with concrete walls, you have no choice to run the wires in wall and must use that wire cover system?

When I tap my wall it is solid at certain points but hollow in others. Has anyone managed to fish wires while mounting a tv in a condo?
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2005
4801 posts
517 upvotes
bwhizz wrote:
Jan 23rd, 2013 12:58 pm
what about recommending someone who can do the install?
Building Homes in this thread did my tv install -- very happy with his work.
× < >