• Sep 8th, 2018 3:08 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Oct 3, 2011
43 posts
15 upvotes
OTTAWA

wallet rant

What is it with the state of men's wallets? Lol. I spent 4 hours last night digging through amazon, the bay, walmart, aliexpress, ebay, etc looking for a wallet that meets my requirements and all that came up were really crappy 15-30$ made in china garbage.

made in china good would be tolerable but I'm having issues finding the features I want

I want an outside unshielded pocket so I can put an rfid card in there. I'm traveling in a couple months, so I'd like to stick a commuter card in the outside pocket so I can just wave at the train gates in hongkong and japan without having to pull it out of wherever I'm storing it.

The wallets with the pocket from japan that I've found usually have coin pouches which I don't really want as they add significantly to the bulk of the wallet.

I want an ID flap that does not have a cutout because holes in the window lead to ugly wear marks in whatever card you put in there.

Space for 6ish cards, I have 2 credit cards, atm card and several other cards I usually keep in my wallet like gift cards or points cards.

I hate the pretentiousness of a money clip I don't want cash showing when I open the thing up. Because I'm traveling to predominately cash societies having a sizable wad is going to be needed, it's safe enough in most places I'm going, but I'd rather not advertise how much is actually in my wallet. I also carry a reasonable amount some cash on me here because I'm asian and old fashioned, cash is always going to be key. The cash pocket must also be tall enough to fit cash in it. lol HK money seems to be the tallest I've found, I haven't held taiwan dollars yet so I don't know how big they are, but HKD barely fits in my existing wallet at 3.5" tall.

Everything I've found usually only has 1 or 2 of my wants but not all. Most of the ones that I found that had almost all the features were slimline and had money clips in the middle which is the biggest deal breaker.

I'm probably going to be limiting myself to stuff from the UK or asia given that I'm looking for something that fits tall notes, and more likely asia specifically since they are more likely to want to keep more cash.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Bi or tri-fold is fine
4 replies
Jul 31, 2008
257 posts
73 upvotes
Markham
Two wallet brands I would recommend for travel:
  • Pacsafe. They typically do all RFID, so imagine it may not be for you. However, I have a stash of one of their models I love. My only annoyance is the one I use still looks great, so my stash may last me 100 years. They are carried at MEC.
  • Victorinox. My go to for travel and passport wallets. It is well made, but pricey. I use a passport version for international travel and love it. Very sleek and looking at their line, I think they have some options for you.
Note I do use different wallets for travel and domestic. Bill size, need to carry a passport, etc. Sounds like a hassle but works very well IMHO.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)