• Last Updated:
  • Dec 4th, 2012 9:35 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2002
2627 posts
63 upvotes
Love holiday shopping hours. Wish they would just do this all year round.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1314 posts
305 upvotes
Toronto
I find Wal-Marts 24 hours very convenient. Even during the other eleven months, my local three Wal-Marts are usually open two hours later than all other competitors.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2006
1233 posts
18 upvotes
it can be hit and miss

i went into a walmart at 1 am on a saturday night expecting it to be emtpy.. more or less it was, except for 1 cashier with a line of 20 people
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2008
4728 posts
1023 upvotes
Montreal
hamant wrote:
Dec 1st, 2012 3:55 pm
it can be hit and miss

i went into a walmart at 1 am on a saturday night expecting it to be emtpy.. more or less it was, except for 1 cashier with a line of 20 people
reminds me of that South Park episode
Nov 7, 2006
185 posts
16 upvotes
Grand-Mere
Madevilz wrote:
Nov 27th, 2012 1:56 pm
Is this nationwide? Never seen this in Quebec...
And you won't anytime soon. I guess it happens everywhere but this is a case of typical zealous government regulations. Work hours regulations are very restricted here (remember all those Futureshop 12AM game launches? Never happened here either...). IIRC, the whole ban on store hours outside of "regular hours" dates quite a while back when the two large convenience stores chains (mainly Couche-Tard / Mack's - Based in Laval) worked the government into protecting their business from large grocery chains and retailers. The laws have been relaxed in the last few years but nothing as convenient as one can find elsewhere in Canada or the US.
Deal Addict
Apr 11, 2011
1127 posts
52 upvotes
Flash01 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 10:24 am
And you won't anytime soon. I guess it happens everywhere but this is a case of typical zealous government regulations. Work hours regulations are very restricted here (remember all those Futureshop 12AM game launches? Never happened here either...). IIRC, the whole ban on store hours outside of "regular hours" dates quite a while back when the two large convenience stores chains (mainly Couche-Tard / Mack's - Based in Laval) worked the government into protecting their business from large grocery chains and retailers. The laws have been relaxed in the last few years but nothing as convenient as one can find elsewhere in Canada or the US.
I find it funny you guys start Boxing Day at 1pm until 6pm in Quebec province. That's a lot of missed sales income potential!
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
goob3r wrote:
Nov 30th, 2012 1:45 pm
Love holiday shopping hours. Wish they would just do this all year round.
Yeah cause money and spending is what life is about :facepalm:
Jun 25, 2008
534 posts
217 upvotes
iridium001 wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 3:08 pm
I find it funny you guys start Boxing Day at 1pm until 6pm in Quebec province. That's a lot of missed sales income potential!
Not really. It just compresses it on the day itself and there is probably more sales revenue later in the week. I don't think the overall revenue on boxing week per capita is much different from places where Boxing Day starts at 6AM, to be honest.

I don't mind 1PM either, it gives the employees time to sleep in one day that week (assuming they wake early on Christmas itself).
Deal Addict
May 29, 2005
3843 posts
78 upvotes
Hamilton
Not ALL walmarts are open 24 hrs...... the one in hamilton (barton st e) is open till 1;am starting dec.7th. Im curious to see if the friday deals will be stocked after mignight.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2004
12696 posts
936 upvotes
Toronto
WildWolf wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2012 11:10 pm
Yeah cause money and spending is what life is about :facepalm:
It's not what life is all about, but it helps a lot if you both need a second source of income to go with your regular job, or to buy something late at night for whatever reason. I used to work the early morning shift at Costco (4-9 AM, sometimes 2-10 AM) and I love the fact that the Loblaws near my apartment now is open 24hrs. The Wal-mart supercenter in Oakville is also open 24 hours, and I used it more than I thought I would back when I lived with my parents. There's no sense in restricting people's ability to work or buy when there are people willing to do both.
Could HAVE, not could OF. What does 'could of' even mean?
Deal Guru
Dec 4, 2010
13016 posts
816 upvotes
Piro21 wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 8:58 pm
It's not what life is all about, but it helps a lot if you both need a second source of income to go with your regular job, or to buy something late at night for whatever reason. I used to work the early morning shift at Costco (4-9 AM, sometimes 2-10 AM) and I love the fact that the Loblaws near my apartment now is open 24hrs. The Wal-mart supercenter in Oakville is also open 24 hours, and I used it more than I thought I would back when I lived with my parents. There's no sense in restricting people's ability to work or buy when there are people willing to do both.
I"m a shift worker and it's a nice treat to go into a Walmart and only see less than a dozen people walking around shopping. The workers out number the patrons but that's ok, I'm not in there to steal.

I wish we had more 24/7 stores year round instead of just grocery stores. Walmart should open up more of these stores.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2011
2240 posts
56 upvotes
Toronto
Supercooled wrote:
Dec 4th, 2012 9:06 pm
I"m a shift worker and it's a nice treat to go into a Walmart and only see less than a dozen people walking around shopping. The workers out number the patrons but that's ok, I'm not in there to steal.

I wish we had more 24/7 stores year round instead of just grocery stores. Walmart should open up more of these stores.
Yeah sure, your not :)

24/7 store all year round, no thank you. It's good they close, I wish they would close on Sundays. It's the day of rest, sleep.
A Store, is a Store, is a Store.
× < >