• Sep 28th, 2015 12:53 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2004
4713 posts
252 upvotes
Coquitlam
Mooncakes, the Chinese equivilant to Fruitcake...wait no, i'm thinking of Danish Butter Cookies.
HOW CAN I BE GOING BROKE WHEN I'M SAVING SO MUCH MONEY!?
MY EBAY FEEDBACK
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2006
9124 posts
1224 upvotes
As a matter of fact, there are new "modern" mooncakes with ice cream as filling.

The cheap mooncakes are aweful, that's why I recommend people don't be cheap on mooncakes, esp it's only once a year event.
Spyder187 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2009 6:20 pm
It depends on the filling man. It's like saying you hate all ice cream because you ate durian flavoured ice cream (Which I would personally love).

I've bought the wrong moon cake before and gave it away after eating one of the four.
May 5, 2008
112 posts
7 upvotes
Canada
skyngai wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2009 3:08 pm
That's what my family bought as well. :cheesygri Wing Wah seem to be the best one around from my experience for tranditional mooncake.

Well, yes that's true, but if you eat a WingWah which cost $40 and the HK empire cost $20 one after another, you can actually taste the difference.
Also, I can't take 4 yokes mooncake, it is just too much and so unhealthy. :|

they usually expiry at the end of Nov or at most Dec. They are made for Aug 15 each year(Chinese calendar)
I bought the HK Sovereign Emperor Moon Cakes from RCSS for $12.98 a few days ago, regular $19.98. Expiry Dec 30, 2009.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
3907 posts
654 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
When you taste or compare, you have to do it based on the same filling (ie. lotus seed, white lotus seed). They taste different. You look for the quality of the filling, the quality of the yolk, quality of the skin (I don't like thick skinned ones).
migz23 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2009 3:37 pm
what's the best moon cake in the lower mainland?
The costco ones are actually pretty good, and they are less than $20. It rivals some of the more expensive ones ($30+).

It's also a personal thing: some people like the moon cake drier, some like a certain mix of filling...

Because they will go on clearance, you can buy some of each, share with your friends and family, and give each of them a try.
Jul 27, 2003
234 posts
5 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I like the white doughy kind or the one with the filling with all kind of nuts. My personal favorite is durian filling one. I would suspect I would have to make a trip to Mississauga China Town to get it since I can never find any of them. :?: :?:

FS: Broadxent Creative Company-BritePort 8012-V $5, all modems have been used with Acanac,Teksavvy, Velcom and Electronicbox at one point in last 3 yrs. Bell 2 Wire 2701 model $9 3 of these
Deal Addict
May 27, 2007
2743 posts
289 upvotes
Except the mooncakes I have is around 300cals+ per 1/2 serving. I can eat the whole box and count that as my meal. 600x4cals+ no wonder why diabetes and obesity are the fastest growing epidemics > :( .

I must stop!
[highlight]__RFD iTrader:_______76|||0[/highlight]
[highlight]___HEATWARE:______16|||0[/highlight]
[highlight]_____EBAY:_______142|||0[/highlight]
Deal Addict
Sep 26, 2007
3130 posts
176 upvotes
walmart sells mooncakes

am I the only one ROFL to the thread title?

oxymoron
Russell wrote:
Sep 10th, 2011 12:29 pm
We come here looking for deals. We use the savings on the things we buy to justify buying more things, thus filling our homes with tons of unnecessary consumer products. Such is the key to happiness.

Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2007
2639 posts
51 upvotes
82 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2009 8:16 pm
As a matter of fact, there are new "modern" mooncakes with ice cream as filling.

The cheap mooncakes are aweful, that's why I recommend people don't be cheap on mooncakes, esp it's only once a year event.
I knew this would happen eventually!

so where to buy these ice cream filled mooncakes?
I post, you decide.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2005
1733 posts
40 upvotes
MasterXan wrote:
Oct 4th, 2009 1:19 pm
I knew this would happen eventually!

so where to buy these ice cream filled mooncakes?
T&T had them the last time I was there, there's also custard filled mooncakes and some others aswell.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
7326 posts
679 upvotes
Toronto
Where can you buy the Maxim or Wing Wah mooncakes in the Pacific Mall area?

I checked out the T&T at Warden/Steeles but they didn't have any of the above two brands, and I have no idea if the stuff they had in stock was any good or not.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2005
2079 posts
67 upvotes
Scarborough
anh2003 wrote:
Oct 3rd, 2009 11:36 pm
I like the white doughy kind or the one with the filling with all kind of nuts. My personal favorite is durian filling one. I would suspect I would have to make a trip to Mississauga China Town to get it since I can never find any of them. :?: :?:
I think you're referring to the "mini snowy mooncake", the best is made by Saint Honore Cake Shop Limited of Hong Kong. Quite expensive, about $40 for a box, though you may be able to find them at 50% off at T&T if there's any left. Can someone confirm stock and price?
Banned
Sep 22, 2007
118 posts
Toronto downtown
is available this special offer in Walmart in year 2015 in Scarborough town?
× < >