Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

$88 Bikes

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 23rd, 2014 2:42 am
Deal Addict
Nov 3, 2006
3441 posts
746 upvotes
Winnipeg
FYI, Walmart Retail personnel can buy stuffs from Walmart.ca with 20% off from Apr 24 to 26 using their Associate WIN and discount card... 78 x .20 is around $16 cheaper so around $62 + tax
Jan 7, 2014
247 posts
35 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Mayosandwich wrote: Would rather spend a bit more for a carbon frame raliegh, giant or trek bike.

Carbon frame>aluminum
Please define a bit more
Deal Addict
Dec 10, 2012
3886 posts
1527 upvotes
Canada
For your guy's information, Wm employees don't assemble these bikes. A trained technician comes around about once or twice a week to assemble them and for maintenance/repair/warranty purposes.
Feb 1, 2014
802 posts
98 upvotes
Toronto
Point4ska wrote: Your best bet for a cheap townie bike is to have a budget from $200-500 and look around the used market. Don't get a multi speed, don't get a road bike, and don't get a silly mountain bike with any kind of suspension. All you need is a basic single speed bike, because then you can learn to maintain it yourself (very simple and easy compared to other bikes) which may even lead into further enjoyment of bike culture.
What is their to maintain in a single speed bike beside maybe up to 2 brake levers, your tire pressure, hubs / bearings? Doubt you will learn how to maintain anything with those bikes as they are suppose to be the most simple form of bike riding, thats why some cyclist like them.
Mayosandwich wrote: If youre gonna be doing a lot of riding in the summer, id spend a couple hundred more and find a used one from a reputable bike shop. You could find one with a full suspension in the 300-400 range. It obviously wont be high end but itill blow away any sport chek bike. People would be surprised just how good of deals you can find on used bikes. Buy them in the right season or a model that is a couple years old and you can save a lot. Its kinda like buying a car. Bike shops always get overstocked throughout the year and thats why you see huge sales to move stock to make room for new models. And when it comes to reselling it, you will get a lot more for it.

Just cause its been riden doesnt mean anything, since theyre always tuned up and reconditioned before the shop resales. Ive bought many used bikes from shops before and got some steals and saved quite a bit just because it was a model couple years old. I honestly couldnt even tell that any of them were used, because they were in such great shape and tuned up really well.

Better quality bike = better quality parts = longer life. You can buy a $300 bike that will last you 5 or 6 years or a $100 bike that wont even last two. Then youre gonna be back at square one and shell out more for another bike. Rinse and repeat. How often do you want to replace it? Usually a bike is something most dont want to replace often.
300-400 for a used full suspension? We talking about like airshocks for rear? If not for that price, think most people would be happy with a brand new one from CT and walmart. After all they just gonna hit pot holes and jump off sidewalks with their 35+ lb spring suspension bikes.

I'm not familar with the used bike market, as I would probably never buy a used bike. Even tho it may look good, it could be hard to spot any frame dmg or weak points. Shops also probably won't know how much the original rider abused the bike. For low budget commutes theirs nothing wrong with bikes from walmart and CT, with a proper look over (squeezing the brakes / tighting bolts) its fine for the price.

Otherwise a $400 to $600 hybrid with a seatpost suspension + front would be lighter then a full suspension and offer more flexibility in all riding conditions.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Point4ska wrote: Your best bet for a cheap townie bike is to have a budget from $200-500 and look around the used market. Don't get a multi speed, don't get a road bike, and don't get a silly mountain bike with any kind of suspension. All you need is a basic single speed bike, because then you can learn to maintain it yourself (very simple and easy compared to other bikes) which may even lead into further enjoyment of bike culture.
I agree with this, unless you live in a particularly hilly area. As a bike courier for 14yrs in Toronto, I bought a bunch of bikes before settling on a single speed track bike. Way easier to look after, esp in winter.
Mayosandwich wrote: True but it comes down to the assembly. Do people feel comfortable enough and safe riding a bike knowing that it was either whipped together in 30mins by Walmart graveyard shelf stockers or in some wasteland in god knows what country? Or would you have much more peace of mind knowing it was assembled by the tech guys at a reputable bike shop who take their time and put pride into their work and whoses reputation means everything to them? Even if the bikes were the same price, aside from all the parts and components (even the metal itself) quality not being comparable, a bike will never be put together like one from a shop, not even close.

The guys at bike shops do this stuff because its their passion, bikes is in their blood, a lot of them have been doing it for many years, they treat your bike like if it was their own and put pride into their worksmanship. Whereas walmart staff put together your bike because its what they've been told to do for the day.

Just in case anyone is curious on the assembly process. A good bike shop usually spends about 2 hours to fully assemble an adult bike, cleaning and polishing it after.
Assembly these days is not really building a bike from scratch, more like tightening about 5 bolts, which is extremely easy to check before your first ride.

I don't trust anyone 100% to assemble a bike for me. I bought a bike from a reputable bike store and was nearly killed on it riding home from the store, due to carelessness of the bike mechanic that threw it together.
hesho wrote: why are ppl talking about assembly when it says you have to do it yourself if you order it online?
Because the bike Gods that are preaching about carbon fibre bikes think that you have to assemble them from 50 different parts. Whereas all you have to do is attach the wheel and pedals and tighten a few bolts.
badsha wrote: For your guy's information, Wm employees don't assemble these bikes. A trained technician comes around about once or twice a week to assemble them and for maintenance/repair/warranty purposes.
My stepson, who had no idea about bikes before two weeks ago, is currently doing exactly this. Trained technician, don't think so. But I would agree that after assembling a couple of hundred bikes in a fortnight, they would have more experience that a part-time WM employee and I would prefer it to be done by them.
PapaQBear wrote: These bikes any good? Looking for one for my 12 yr old to ride around the block with his homies.
Perfect. He can trash it and you're only out $80. No need to worry about theft either. But like mentioned before, I would caution him on doing jumps/ off-road stuff on it or doing anything more than just hanging out on it. He could injure himself, as these bikes have very weak components and can fall apart with a bit of stress applied.
aretogj wrote: Are these bikes even good enough as a beater? ....I'm looking for something to ride to the GO station..... I live somewhat walking distance from the train but some mornings I wake up late and miss the train.... bike would help get me there on time... and I don't feel safe parking my Kona there all day long.... No one's gonna steal a walmart 'next' bike with a kryptonite lock on it, right?
GO for it. A few km here and there and they're fine. Might only last you a year or so. Don't bother spending money on it to maintain it, as you'd be throwing your money away. Any replacement parts would be worth more than the bikes worth by then.
Mayosandwich wrote:
Just like a bike helmet, id never buy a cheap no name $10 one from walmart. And wear your helmets kids! Everytime i see someone on a bike (any age) i jist shake my head. Its like driving with no selt belt on. Its not worth the risk cracking your skull open and getting concussed or brain damage over $60-70 savings on a helmet. I know people who would have been dead years ago, if it wasnt for them wearing a helmet.
+1 !!!!
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2010
1048 posts
853 upvotes
Milton
82 wrote: I almost bought one 2 weeks ago with the 4% GCR rebate, I checked out the bike but bought something else instead, these bikes are okay but use basic cheap parts - microshift, generic derailleur, wires... Well you can't complain because it only costs $78. If you don't plan to use the bike on high traffic road, I think it will do the job and you don't mind to do some fine tuning yourself periodically. These are great first real bike for 8-11 years old though.

How tall is your 12 years old? He may able to go with a 16/26 or 18/26 adult bike that is good for 4-6 years, then it may worth to invest on something better.
My son is almost 5 ft tall, and he doesn't ride much, maybe around the block to visit a friend. I wouldn't mind spending more if he was going to be using it often, but at $78, this looks ideal.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
PapaQBear wrote: My son is almost 5 ft tall, and he doesn't ride much, maybe around the block to visit a friend. I wouldn't mind spending more if he was going to be using it often, but at $78, this looks ideal.
Exactly. At this price, this is a disposable bike. Some people don't want to spend $200, $300 or $500 on a bike.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2006
6307 posts
3200 upvotes
Cornwall PE
It's probably just as good a bike as kids have ridden for years. The bikes ridden in my child hood sixties and seventies were no better and they lasted us till we out grew them. I don't see why these won't.
Dun with posting deals.
My STORAGE SHED!
Linux User 412309
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2011
3744 posts
1986 upvotes
Vancouver
Mayosandwich wrote: Just like a bike helmet, id never buy a cheap no name $10 one from walmart.
As long as it has a certification sticker from the CSA, EN, ASTM, CPSC or Snell B90/B95 who cares how much it costs or where you buy it from ?
Deal Guru
Mar 28, 2006
12225 posts
2957 upvotes
That's about the same height as my kid, get a 16"/26" frame. The Walmart NEXT will be fine for casual usage. I bought a discontinued Reebok from Sporkchek for $180ish, it uses much better parts but it is about $120 more after taxes.

Note that $78 is new roll-back price, it has been this price for a month.
PapaQBear wrote: My son is almost 5 ft tall, and he doesn't ride much, maybe around the block to visit a friend. I wouldn't mind spending more if he was going to be using it often, but at $78, this looks ideal.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2007
4869 posts
2743 upvotes
Quebec
i have this bike since last year, its really a bad bicycle. i mean by that, that the speed changing system already fail on mine. i use it everyday for about 500 meter to go to work and 500 meter to go back from work.

exept in winter. i walk.

i dont care really to change my speed, because i dont have much meter to do. for the price, thats what i expected.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2004
3807 posts
757 upvotes
Vancouver
Mayosandwich wrote: Would rather spend a bit more for a carbon frame raliegh, giant or trek bike.

Carbon frame>aluminum
Bit more?
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2010
5621 posts
1552 upvotes
Toronto
wait.. so is this "mens" bike for $78 not suitable for me if i'm 5'11?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2007
1736 posts
158 upvotes
Toronto
Better off getting a used bike for 50-125$ than trusting Walmart employees to safely put a bike together.

Also, whoever mentioned that they would rather spend a "little" more for carbon frame bike is clearly delusional. Any proper carbon frame/parts/bike would cost at least 1200$ on sale.
Nintendo Switch vibes
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2010
1048 posts
853 upvotes
Milton
82 wrote: That's about the same height as my kid, get a 16"/26" frame. The Walmart NEXT will be fine for casual usage. I bought a discontinued Reebok from Sporkchek for $180ish, it uses much better parts but it is about $120 more after taxes.

Hey man, what you mean by 16"/26" frame? One of these?

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/26-High-Pea ... 0148920996
Mar 11, 2012
338 posts
51 upvotes
I'm a total bike newbie... If I'm 5'8", which size should I be looking at? 26 or 24 frame?
Deal Fanatic
May 28, 2002
8423 posts
312 upvotes
Kitchener
Kitchener Sunrise Walmart had 3-4 left as of an hour ago. They are not "lightweight", but not super heavy.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4620 upvotes
GTA
Shunshin wrote: I'm a total bike newbie... If I'm 5'8", which size should I be looking at? 26 or 24 frame?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8718 posts
1069 upvotes
Scarborough
It was $99.

I bought a $118 girl bike about 3 years ago, the quality is about the same. This bike is perfect for casual usage. Kids don't spend too much time on biking, more on facebooking/online gaming in these days :)
82 wrote: That's about the same height as my kid, get a 16"/26" frame. The Walmart NEXT will be fine for casual usage. I bought a discontinued Reebok from Sporkchek for $180ish, it uses much better parts but it is about $120 more after taxes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)