Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27" WQHD Gaming Monitor, $229.999

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2019 9:48 pm
Sep 23, 2014
750 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ok i think i got the flickers for sure now. Happens to me at around 50-60 hrs in, so hard to catch tho since i only saw it 3 times in those total hours. What are the chances that they will replace parts for me without proof lol.
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: Ok i think i got the flickers for sure now. Happens to me at around 50-60 hrs in, so hard to catch tho since i only saw it 3 times in those total hours. What are the chances that they will replace parts for me without proof lol.
Hey Lock,

Mine started to flicker too around 54 hrs of uptime so I'm not surprised you're starting to experience this. I too thought I had a good panel at the start.

I had a camera affixed to an upright vacuum handle positioned beside me as I was using the computer. It's ghetto I know lol, but it works. Trouble is your videos will be gigabytes in size before you catch a flicker, but once you do, just fast forward to that spot to show them when you drop off the panel at the RMA center
Sep 23, 2014
750 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
frugalshopper604 wrote: Hey Lock,

Mine started to flicker too around 54 hrs of uptime so I'm not surprised you're starting to experience this. I too thought I had a good panel at the start.

I had a camera affixed to an upright vacuum handle positioned beside me as I was using the computer. It's ghetto I know lol, but it works. Trouble is your videos will be gigabytes in size before you catch a flicker, but once you do, just fast forward to that spot to show them when you drop off the panel at the RMA center
Appreciate your reply frugal, i have a phone propped up and record footage as i'm using the PC. It is so elusive tho, only happen when i'm not recording lol.
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: Appreciate your reply frugal, i have a phone propped up and record footage as i'm using the PC. It is so elusive tho, only happen when i'm not recording lol.
LOL, if you want it to happen, watch YouTube at 1440p full screen. It WILL happen as it did for me. It may take a couple of hours but it'll happen eventually. I haven't watched so much YT non stop in my life!

Flickering happens most frequently on desktop during surfing and YT as others have noted.
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
BillJ267 wrote: Price went up 16 bucks instead of down :(
I wouldn't pay full price for this monitor as others have noted.

Mine still flickers even with the main board & power supply board replaced.

For those that paid the sale price of $229.99, I'd say keep it. Even with the flickering, it's an absolute steal as you're basically paying 1080p price for a 1440p freesync 144hz panel which is unheard of.

At this point, I'm waiting for the flickering to worsen to the point of a strobe light before I bring it in for another RMA so it's really obvious to them. With the above parts replaced, I really can't see them doing much else right now. Replacing the panel I heard won't do a thing as I've read it's not the panel at all.

If you guys have a different RMA experience in the upcoming weeks, please share.

Will keep you posted.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
frugalshopper604 wrote: I wouldn't pay full price for this monitor as others have noted.

Mine still flickers even with the main board & power supply board replaced.

For those that paid the sale price of $229.99, I'd say keep it. Even with the flickering, it's an absolute steal as you're basically paying 1080p price for a 1440p freesync 144hz panel which is unheard of.

At this point, I'm waiting for the flickering to worsen to the point of a strobe light before I bring it in for another RMA so it's really obvious to them. With the above parts replaced, I really can't see them doing much else right now. Replacing the panel I heard won't do a thing as I've read it's not the panel at all.

If you guys have a different RMA experience in the upcoming weeks, please share.

Will keep you posted.
If they aren't able to fix it then they should give you a similar model without the issue to be honest.. Disappointing that it still flickers, it's definitely the panel IMO. Whether they have some in the facility to use as repairs or not is another thing.
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: If they aren't able to fix it then they should give you a similar model without the issue to be honest.. Disappointing that it still flickers, it's definitely the panel IMO. Whether they have some in the facility to use as repairs or not is another thing.
It's very disappointing. I waiting to collect more video evidence before I head back to the RMA center.
Sep 23, 2014
750 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
frugalshopper604 wrote: Have any of you guys RMA'd yet?
Mine seems to settle down these last 3 days, still don't wanna jynx it tho...
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: Mine seems to settle down these last 3 days, still don't wanna jynx it tho...
No jynx... there are "good" days. I had a good day yesterday no flickers at all. That's why it's so hard to diagnose.
Sep 23, 2014
750 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
frugalshopper604 wrote: No jynx... there are "good" days. I had a good day yesterday no flickers at all. That's why it's so hard to diagnose.
Today i noticed that whenever i clean my desk, the screen wobbles causes flickering. I think this monitor is very sensitive to movement, and the horrible stand does not help at all lol.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
50593 posts
6557 upvotes
Toronto
LockAndKey wrote: Today i noticed that whenever i clean my desk, the screen wobbles causes flickering. I think this monitor is very sensitive to movement, and the horrible stand does not help at all lol.
Have mine wall mounted, flickers every hour LOL. They come in bunches, like 2-3 within 30 minutes. Probably gonna send it out upcoming Monday..
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: Today i noticed that whenever i clean my desk, the screen wobbles causes flickering. I think this monitor is very sensitive to movement, and the horrible stand does not help at all lol.
Hmm, that shouldn't happen unless you have a cold solder in the circuitry somewhere.

Are you guys experiencing the flickering on desktop or gaming?
Sep 23, 2014
750 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
frugalshopper604 wrote: Hmm, that shouldn't happen unless you have a cold solder in the circuitry somewhere.

Are you guys experiencing the flickering on desktop or gaming?
I haven't notice it anymore tbh. It's just very intermittent for me.
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: I haven't notice it anymore tbh. It's just very intermittent for me.
It comes and goes for me as well. Still waiting for my camera to catch the next one. It has been so well behaved lately
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
I just read during my google searches of other users having your same experience. One user reported that wiggling the displayport cable caused flickering. I wonder if you have a bad connection? Some users have it really bad where the screen blanks out randomly

Users have also reported zero flickering @ 120hz.

144hz with VRB or overdrive enabled is where the trouble begins I have read.

I'm trying to get mine to flicker more but no luck. For the last 4 days, it has been solid. What did I do??? Or what did Acer do...

I remember when I first had the unit returned to me, I swear I may have seen a flicker or two.
Aug 20, 2019
118 posts
115 upvotes
Guys, come to think of it, the only thing I did 4 days ago is turn down the brightness to 25 because they had set it to 80 which was destroying my eyes.
That was THE ONLY change. Ever since then, my panel has behaved. I cannot get it to flicker since then.
Could it be the extra heat generated by the cheap components at a higher brightness?
My VRB setting is also OFF not sure if that makes a difference
Sep 23, 2014
750 posts
1238 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ok so i think mine flickers whenever it wakes from sleep. Not really a constant repro but happening 3-5 times now. Still gotta record it tho lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)