Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Acer VG271U Pbmiipx 27" WQHD Gaming Monitor, $229.999

  • Last Updated:
  • Dec 30th, 2019 9:48 pm
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2014
564 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto, ON
frugalshopper604 wrote: Hmm, that shouldn't happen unless you have a cold solder in the circuitry somewhere.

Are you guys experiencing the flickering on desktop or gaming?
I haven't notice it anymore tbh. It's just very intermittent for me.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2019
109 posts
100 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: I haven't notice it anymore tbh. It's just very intermittent for me.
It comes and goes for me as well. Still waiting for my camera to catch the next one. It has been so well behaved lately
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2019
109 posts
100 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: Today i noticed that whenever i clean my desk, the screen wobbles causes flickering. I think this monitor is very sensitive to movement, and the horrible stand does not help at all lol.
I just read during my google searches of other users having your same experience. One user reported that wiggling the displayport cable caused flickering. I wonder if you have a bad connection? Some users have it really bad where the screen blanks out randomly

Users have also reported zero flickering @ 120hz.

144hz with VRB or overdrive enabled is where the trouble begins I have read.

I'm trying to get mine to flicker more but no luck. For the last 4 days, it has been solid. What did I do??? Or what did Acer do...

I remember when I first had the unit returned to me, I swear I may have seen a flicker or two.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2019
109 posts
100 upvotes
Guys, come to think of it, the only thing I did 4 days ago is turn down the brightness to 25 because they had set it to 80 which was destroying my eyes.
That was THE ONLY change. Ever since then, my panel has behaved. I cannot get it to flicker since then.
Could it be the extra heat generated by the cheap components at a higher brightness?
My VRB setting is also OFF not sure if that makes a difference
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2014
564 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ok so i think mine flickers whenever it wakes from sleep. Not really a constant repro but happening 3-5 times now. Still gotta record it tho lol
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2019
109 posts
100 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: Ok so i think mine flickers whenever it wakes from sleep. Not really a constant repro but happening 3-5 times now. Still gotta record it tho lol
I had no flickers for days with brightness set to 25. I wanted to experiment, and so while I was in the process of increasing the brightness back up to 80, it flickered before I was even done adjusting.

IMO I still think it's the cheapo components that can't drive or power the panel properly.

I used to get lots of flickering even with brightness @ 25. Now with the new mainboard & power supply, no flickering. But brightness @ 80, flickering.
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2014
564 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto, ON
frugalshopper604 wrote: I had no flickers for days with brightness set to 25. I wanted to experiment, and so while I was in the process of increasing the brightness back up to 80, it flickered before I was even done adjusting.

IMO I still think it's the cheapo components that can't drive or power the panel properly.

I used to get lots of flickering even with brightness @ 25. Now with the new mainboard & power supply, no flickering. But brightness @ 80, flickering.
Yea looks like diagnostic is very inconsistent, i don't have flicker adjusting brightness to max, but then again i still have original parts. Don't know if it's due my dying GTX 1060 that causes flicker lol. My cousin who owns this same screen has no issue on his Vega 64, with brightness set at 80.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2019
109 posts
100 upvotes
LockAndKey wrote: Yea looks like diagnostic is very inconsistent, i don't have flicker adjusting brightness to max, but then again i still have original parts. Don't know if it's due my dying GTX 1060 that causes flicker lol. My cousin who owns this same screen has no issue on his Vega 64, with brightness set at 80.
The product engineer told me this screen is prone to flickering when using gsync. He suggested the mainboard & power supply board be replaced.

Thing is, I use Freesync like your cousin. I don't have a Nvidia card. So not exactly sure what's up with me.

In any case, I feel there has been improvement since my RMA, but only because I'm a user that doesn't like brightness set to max.
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
47374 posts
5305 upvotes
Toronto
frugalshopper604 wrote: The product engineer told me this screen is prone to flickering when using gsync. He suggested the mainboard & power supply board be replaced.

Thing is, I use Freesync like your cousin. I don't have a Nvidia card. So not exactly sure what's up with me.

In any case, I feel there has been improvement since my RMA, but only because I'm a user that doesn't like brightness set to max.
My brightness is set to like sub 40, still flickers.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2019
109 posts
100 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: My brightness is set to like sub 40, still flickers.
In desktop or while gaming?

Bring it in. Get those boards replaced and experiment.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2019
109 posts
100 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: I only game 5% of the time so can't really say. I'm just lazy and don't want to wait 2 weeks to get my monitor back lol.
If it doesn't flicker that often for you, I guess you could live with it. Or you could set up a spare 1080p screen for 2 weeks like I did.

Since we're the only ones keeping this thread alive, I'm beginning to think that only you, me, and Lock purchased this monitor for personal use. Everybody else just wanted to make a quick buck on Craigslist lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
May 8, 2009
47374 posts
5305 upvotes
Toronto
frugalshopper604 wrote: If it doesn't flicker that often for you, I guess you could live with it. Or you could set up a spare 1080p screen for 2 weeks like I did.

Since we're the only ones keeping this thread alive, I'm beginning to think that only you, me, and Lock purchased this monitor for personal use. Everybody else just wanted to make a quick buck on Craigslist lol
This monitor is good outside of the flicker issues but a quick 2 week or less turnaround RMA is not bad at all for the price we got it for. No regrets really, and if they cannot fix the flicker issue then we'll get a newer model instead, win win situation.
Jr. Member
Aug 20, 2019
109 posts
100 upvotes
Jimboski wrote: This monitor is good outside of the flicker issues but a quick 2 week or less turnaround RMA is not bad at all for the price we got it for. No regrets really, and if they cannot fix the flicker issue then we'll get a newer model instead, win win situation.
Agreed, I cannot find any other 1440p gaming panel @ 144hz for this price. What we paid would normally only net us a 1080p gaming panel
Sr. Member
Sep 23, 2014
564 posts
798 upvotes
Toronto, ON
LockAndKey wrote: Ok so i think mine flickers whenever it wakes from sleep. Not really a constant repro but happening 3-5 times now. Still gotta record it tho lol
I sent Acer the recordings, will RMA for repair as soon as i get the shipping label. The tech support agent said their technicians will have access to my recording as well, so i guess i don't have to upload to Youtube. I'm in Montreal tho so can't really drop it off in Mississauga lol.

Top