[Walmart] Bowflex SelectTech 1090 Dumbbell Pair - $419

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2020 2:42 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1237 posts
3707 upvotes
Toronto
Naruto wrote: Did Bowflex fix the the mechanical issue for the 1090s at the manufacturing level? Horrible reviews on Amazon in the past about weight plates falling off at a plastic point of failure, even when the whole set is babied. It's an unacceptable design flaw for the price, and one that could lead to serious injury.
Not sure if Bowflex fixed them but this is the reason why I sold mine and got the Powerblock U90s instead.
Jun 4, 2005
270 posts
243 upvotes
To anyone who orders and receives this production batch from Walmart... please update the thread with close up pictures confirming plastic or metal locking tabs used to secure the weight plates.
Dec 24, 2018
30 posts
56 upvotes
Very tempted to pick up a pair of the 552's but I'm going to hold out for BF and hope they get a little cheaper.
Jun 23, 2009
142 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Naruto wrote: To anyone who orders and receives this production batch from Walmart... please update the thread with close up pictures confirming plastic or metal locking tabs used to secure the weight plates.
I got a set of 1090s from Walmart last year at $200 and they have the updated metal tab mechanism.
Jun 4, 2005
270 posts
243 upvotes
complainfromme wrote: I got a set of 1090s from Walmart last year at $200 and they have the updated metal tab mechanism.
You got in on insane deal then... $200 for a pair! Wow gj. How have they been holding up to wear and tear? Any glaring weaknesses with the design or bulky shape when it comes to your work out flow and certain exercises?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 27, 2004
8606 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
complainfromme wrote: I got a set of 1090s from Walmart last year at $200 and they have the updated metal tab mechanism.
What's the metal tab do?

Are the weights sturdy? I'm afraid of them not locking into place well when in use.
Jun 23, 2009
142 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto
Naruto wrote: You got in on insane deal then... $200 for a pair! Wow gj. How have they been holding up to wear and tear? Any glaring weaknesses with the design or bulky shape when it comes to your work out flow and certain exercises?
The exact number of time that I have used them: 0
At least they are sitting in the basement looking pretty.
RFD ftw =D
Jun 4, 2005
270 posts
243 upvotes
Korkyjohnson96 wrote: The stand is a good price too. Got mine for 149$ at Amazon (I'll keep that. To lazy to take it all a part and ship it back for $30).
I'm not sure which model of stand you're referring to, but I have the silver one. I then modded it with castor wheels, so it can be pushed around. Smooth as butter. Supports the weight of both the 552s and 1090s. If that's something you'd be interested in, send me a link and I can provide exact parts or detailed instructions.
complainfromme wrote: The exact number of time that I have used them: 0
At least they are sitting in the basement looking pretty.
RFD ftw =D
Enjoy your upvote for honesty Face With Tears Of Joy
May 30, 2010
7 posts
28 upvotes
canuckgameguy wrote: Has anyone actually received/picked up this sku from Walmart today to confirm that what they carry is a pair?
I ordered the same SKU last year when they had it for $194 and received a pair.
Nov 26, 2013
614 posts
473 upvotes
Winnipeg
I own a pair of power blocks. They get about 3 days of use per week. The Bowflex is improved now with a metal tab instead of plastic. I like that they're as durable, and they are more natural and comfortable to hold than the power blocks. However, the only reason I stick with the power blocks is because I have a few accessories that they're compatible with (i.e. bicep curl bar). I don't think you could go wrong with either - if I didn't have the power blocks I would buy this, simply because they're more natural to hold. My issue with the power blocks is that their durability design is their downfall - makes it so awkward to hold or position for many exercises (such as anything where you'd have to grip one dumbbell with two hands).
Banned
Dec 8, 2007
2666 posts
2347 upvotes
Kyte wrote: I ordered the same SKU last year when they had it for $194 and received a pair.
He's going to request a pic with receipt because he's just trolling/threadcrapping because his ego couldn't take being pointed out his claim was untrue here.