Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Hipstreet 7" FULL WIN8.1 Tablet, 1GB RAM, 16GB, HDMI out, USB 2.0 = $98

Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2004
1113 posts
293 upvotes

[Walmart] Hipstreet 7" FULL WIN8.1 Tablet, 1GB RAM, 16GB, HDMI out, USB 2.0 = $98

Walmart is selling Hipstreet 7" INTEL WINDOWS 8.1 Quad Core Tablet which have very similar specs to the HP Stream 7.

The major differences between the two are:
  • The Hipstreet has an HDMI output port (1080p)
  • The Hipstreet has only 16GB of storage vs 32GB on the HP Stream 7
Here are the specs:
  • 1.83GHz Intel Quad Core CPU with 1GB DDR3L RAM
  • 16GB capacity – plus supports up to a 32GB MicroSD Card
  • Intel HD Graphics Processor
  • Full Windows 8.1 Operating System
  • Microsoft Office 365 pre-loaded (1yr Subscription)
  • Rechargeable built-in lithium battery
  • High speed USB 2.0 interface
  • Built-in speaker
  • HDMI out
  • Front (0.3MP) / Rear (2.0MP) cameras
  • WI-Fi: 802.11 b/g/n
Price: $98

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/hipstreet-7 ... 0189530682
21 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2010
1980 posts
433 upvotes
Toronto
I would say 32g and HP brand would be better than Hdmi out... Isn't this for portability?
Zoomer Wireless [on Rogers Network] $36 - 400 Canada Wide Minutes + 2GB LTE data
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2004
1113 posts
293 upvotes
Shu wrote: I would say 32g and HP brand would be better than Hdmi out... Isn't this for portability?
You can alway add a 32gb microSD card
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2013
1786 posts
1065 upvotes
Toronto
HDMI out is a nice feature. What is the screen resolution on this?
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
What's the processor on this? Intel Atom, same as the one on the HP? Question is, is Win8.1 a viable user experience on a 7" screen?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
I have this one and currently testing it out.

The resolution on the tablet is 1024x600. However, the mini-HDMI port can support 1080p screens. And I have it hooked up to a ASUS 22inch 1080p monitor. The tablet had no trouble outputing the 1080p screen. One little issue I had was it would not mirror the tablet and the monitor. I am guessing the gpu on the tablet is not powerful enough to support both 1024x600 and 1920x1080 at the same time. But it does support desktop extension and having the desktop only on my 1080p monitor.
Nov 28, 2003
699 posts
413 upvotes
Montreal
How long does the battery last?
Mar 13, 2009
53 posts
5 upvotes
aasoror wrote: You don't want to use win 8 with a 1GB of RAM.
Try it before bashing, but please ... Apples to Apples ... it's a $100 tablet so compare it with other $100 tablets.

I got a Stream 7 out of curiosity and honestly, it's more responsive than my Nexus 7 1st gen tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 7, 2006
7523 posts
460 upvotes
Toronto
Avoid Hipstreet...everything Hipstreet that I bought has broken.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Here is my opinion after using it for a few hours.

I only have chrome added and speccy to show temps. I also connected a bt mouse and bt keyboard as the usb is powering the tablet. With about 5 tabs in chrome as well as 2 extensions (hola and adblock), the memory sits at about 75% full. By running a youtube video the memory usage jumped to above 96%, which caused a lot of lag when trying to switch between tabs. The temps showed about 65C, while the tablet itself was just luke warm. If I had to add more programs that would def eat into the limited storage of the tablet, not to mention maxing out the 1gb memory. Granted I knew that chrome was a memory hog, but keep in mind I don't even have antivirus or malware scanner installed, and no ms office either.

I did not test the battery on this thing, as my goal is to try and run a large monitor off it. Hence the HDMI port was very nice, better than other tablets which don't have it.

If I was only using it as a tablet, I would not get something this small for a Windows machine. And as a tablet alone the HP Stream 7 is better than this (better screen at least).
Deal Addict
May 2, 2011
1550 posts
1130 upvotes
Toronto
Asides from HDMI there is no reason to get this over the Dell

The Dell has a better screen and better battery life, plus in general hip street products are crap anything I have gotten from them broke after 2 months.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 5, 2007
5898 posts
2331 upvotes
Toronto
libballeng wrote: Here is my opinion after using it for a few hours.

I only have chrome added and speccy to show temps. I also connected a bt mouse and bt keyboard as the usb is powering the tablet. With about 5 tabs in chrome as well as 2 extensions (hola and adblock), the memory sits at about 75% full. By running a youtube video the memory usage jumped to above 96%, which caused a lot of lag when trying to switch between tabs. The temps showed about 65C, while the tablet itself was just luke warm. If I had to add more programs that would def eat into the limited storage of the tablet, not to mention maxing out the 1gb memory. Granted I knew that chrome was a memory hog, but keep in mind I don't even have antivirus or malware scanner installed, and no ms office either.

I did not test the battery on this thing, as my goal is to try and run a large monitor off it. Hence the HDMI port was very nice, better than other tablets which don't have it.

If I was only using it as a tablet, I would not get something this small for a Windows machine. And as a tablet alone the HP Stream 7 is better than this (better screen at least).
chrome has a bug that eats mem

dont do tests with chrome
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5680 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Spyder187 wrote: can i buy this and just use the windows 8.1 on a desktop? install android into it?
Yes. No.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
Hmm, even if everything is compatible, I would not do the transition personally. The experience of transfering would be so frustrating.
Nov 28, 2003
699 posts
413 upvotes
Montreal
libballeng wrote: Here is my opinion after using it for a few hours.

So with a BT mouse and keyboard and hooked up to a monitor, would this be the lowest priced Windows 8.1 "desktop" computer available on the market?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2075 posts
447 upvotes
Vancouver
deals wrote: So with a BT mouse and keyboard and hooked up to a monitor, would this be the lowest priced Windows 8.1 "desktop" computer available on the market?
Yes it would seem so. However my experience was not good, the chocking point is the ram. Trying to run things close to what a desktop can do is really frustrating as the memory is maxed out really quickly, so the lag is really apparent.
Nov 28, 2003
699 posts
413 upvotes
Montreal
libballeng wrote: Yes it would seem so. However my experience was not good, the chocking point is the ram. Trying to run things close to what a desktop can do is really frustrating as the memory is maxed out really quickly, so the lag is really apparent.
What about for light browsing (no video) like having 5 open RFD tabs + viewing something like a staples flyer.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
deals wrote: What about for light browsing (no video) like having 5 open RFD tabs + viewing something like a staples flyer.
lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)