• Last Updated:
  • Jan 15th, 2019 7:41 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4867 posts
308 upvotes

Walmart.CA Returns in Store

Will be returning something purchased online at Walmart.ca today and have been reading on here about how Walmart store reps generally don’t know how to process an online return. Or perhaps the rep having “processed” the return but asking the customer to walk away without any proof that they have dropped off their item for processing of the return.

Based on your experience, do they process the return using the in-store cash register system? In other words, swipe your credit card in store and issue the refund immediately?

Or do they process the return through some sort of in-house computer system which sends a message to their online team to subsequently issue the refund? In this case, should I expect to walk away with any proof that I’ve dropped off the item for return?
17 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2007
1053 posts
142 upvotes
M4W 1J6
They switched from dealing with it as a no receipt return to an in-house system a while back, at least at the locations I've been to.
Public Mobile | Koodo
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4867 posts
308 upvotes
Raptors wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 10:47 am
They switched from dealing with it as a no receipt return to an in-house system a while back, at least at the locations I've been to.
So they send a request to their back end and don’t process the actual refund on the spot for you? We’re you given some sort of proof that you had dropped off the item for return?
Jul 11, 2018
359 posts
373 upvotes
Calgary
I recently returned a defective Lenovo Smart Assistant (flickering screen/defective connectors). Ordered it from online, returned it in-store, CSR used a different computer to find order, had me insert CC to pad, issued refund, got email confirmation minutes later. Pretty easy.
Last edited by TaurusJudge on Jan 13th, 2019 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best deals:
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15759 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
I hate their new online system. No proof whatsoever except for an email and generally takes forever to get a refund. I would tell them you need the refund asap and they can swipe your card for proof.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4867 posts
308 upvotes
carmaster wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:12 am
I hate their new online system. No proof whatsoever except for an email and generally takes forever to get a refund. I would tell them you need the refund asap and they can swipe your card for proof.
Does the email arrive immediately?

I’m not too concerned about the delay as long as I get a receipt or immediate email as proof, before walking away from the desk.
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15759 posts
3543 upvotes
Toronto
Arrow wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:19 am

I’m not too concerned about the delay as long as I get a receipt or immediate email as proof, before walking away from the desk.
Ya it arrives immediately
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
6604 posts
2725 upvotes
North York
About half a year ago, I returned an online purchased item to my local Walmart store. They issued a refund on my credit card and I got the receipt, but the refund was never posted. I had to contact the credit card company for the correction. I am keeping all refund receipts until posting from now on.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2599 posts
506 upvotes
Ottawa
Arrow wrote:
Jan 13th, 2019 11:19 am

Email takes about 15-30 minutes before it arrived for me.

I hate that there's no proof when I return anything. (Made me very nervous afterwards, since it was a ~$170 item, and the CSR at the front desk kept insisting that the refund would go through fine, even when I asked them if they could just write a note on my printed receipt that I made a refund. This was about 3-4 months ago)

The only good thing is that recently, at one of the locations I went to, they at least filled out a small piece of paper as proof of a refund. Hopefully this becomes the standard at least...
Apr 30, 2012
181 posts
56 upvotes
North York
I returned an online order to Walmart last week. They took the item, went to there computer to look up the order and processed the refund. I didn't even show them the VISA I used or anything, no card needed. They gave me some small slip that was a confirmation (held on to it till I actually got the refund). I received an email about 1h 30min later that the refund was going through. I honestly don't like the system, but I surprisingly haven't had any problems with it. Just ask them for some sort of proof before leaving the item with them, one time last year they let me take a picture of there computer screen saying the refund was processing.
Nov 12, 2012
369 posts
132 upvotes
Port Moody
I have done several returns to various Walmart stores in the past several months.

The returns are slow, because as mentioned, they need to go to a different computer terminal to enter your order number. The return processing is quite fast (especially if you start your return online in your account), and they typically do not give you any proof of the return (only the remark, "You'll get a confirmation email"). The email can take up to an hour to get to you (sometimes longer), but is usually there within 15 minutes. I always get a written receipt, with the name of the cashier, in case I need to follow-up with them about a missing return (they typically don't offer this, so you need to ask if you're a 'cover your a$$' type of person like I am).

Be warned: sometimes this system goes down! So yeah, you could wait in line for 20 mins and then get to the front and they say, "Sorry, you'll have to come back later, our online system is down". This is not store-specific (I believe it's system-wide) as I tried at another store a couple of hours later, still down. I decided to wait until the next day - thankfully it was back up by then.

Fun fact: Walmart in the USA can do store-based returns if you don't initiate the return online, so if you do it this way, your online account won't reflect the return. If you initiate your return online in your account at home, sometimes they will tell you not to bother returning the item to the store!!! (Message said, "Keep this item and we'll refund your money"). WHAAAA? Yeah, this happened to me for 2 $7US-ish items (toys). They're still sitting in my closet waiting to be donated. So it pays to try to initiate it online first!
Oct 10, 2016
169 posts
27 upvotes
Vancouver
Akitakara wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 1:54 am
Email takes about 15-30 minutes before it arrived for me.

I hate that there's no proof when I return anything. (Made me very nervous afterwards, since it was a ~$170 item, and the CSR at the front desk kept insisting that the refund would go through fine, even when I asked them if they could just write a note on my printed receipt that I made a refund. This was about 3-4 months ago)

The only good thing is that recently, at one of the locations I went to, they at least filled out a small piece of paper as proof of a refund. Hopefully this becomes the standard at least...
no proof?? did you print out the "Your Order # xxxxxxxxxxx has been shipped" email?
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2599 posts
506 upvotes
Ottawa
RobertL130 wrote:
Jan 14th, 2019 6:42 pm
no proof?? did you print out the "Your Order # xxxxxxxxxxx has been shipped" email?
Yes. And that's my proof of purchase. Not a proof of refund / they received the product back.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2001
4867 posts
308 upvotes
I went ahead and did my return in store. From a distance, I saw her process the return on the website at a different terminal. Then she hand wrote me a paper receipt as proof of return.

Somewhat silly if you ask me. Why not just print on the return confirmation from the return transaction and give that to the customer?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
3485 posts
1759 upvotes
Using the new system to return items. I've ran into problems when I was returns items that I pre ordered aka e3 video game deals. When they went to the new computer terminal system to scan, the computer would freeze or just get stuck In a loading screen. Walmart worker ended up calling thir own 1800 helpline and ended up talking to their own it department to issue the credit. The whole process took about 30 to 40 minutes.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)