Retailer:
Walmart Canada

Walmart has the Fitbit Charge for $40 on clearance YMMV
26 replies
Jul 31, 2015
68 posts
46 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Richmond,BC Walmart doesn't have it. North Vancouver has it scanned at $60.
Oct 26, 2010
822 posts
325 upvotes
Edmonton
Rudy wrote:
May 14th, 2017 10:57 pm
I have one and it's falling apart. I personally wouldn't recommend it
I had mine fall apart every 3 months, but their warranty on the product was really good.
Oct 22, 2011
9 posts
5 upvotes
SAINT-LAURENT
i've had mime for over a year, It's working well with only a little wornout.
$40 is a good price even though it's the first gen
Nov 7, 2010
989 posts
226 upvotes
Aurora
Do Not Buy Fitbit products.

They ALL require an active internet connection to make even the slightest change using their app. You cannot set the time or even cancel a daily alarm without being online. For city dwellers this is an annoyance only, but for soldiers, sailors, cruise shippers, hikers, campers....well, you get the idea... it's a show stopper. Crossed a time zone? Go online.

They refuse to respond to this years-long user forum post on the issue. All they need do is modify their app but their elitist techies refuse.

Forewarned....
Dec 24, 2007
53 posts
22 upvotes
boblepp wrote:
May 15th, 2017 8:45 am
Do Not Buy Fitbit products.

They ALL require an active internet connection to make even the slightest change using their app. You cannot set the time or even cancel a daily alarm without being online. For city dwellers this is an annoyance only, but for soldiers, sailors, cruise shippers, hikers, campers....well, you get the idea... it's a show stopper. Crossed a time zone? Go online.

They refuse to respond to this years-long user forum post on the issue. All they need do is modify their app but their elitist techies refuse.

Forewarned....

... or just avoid going places without cellphone coverage with your fitbit :)
Does WalMart sell HR version of fitbit Charge ? Anyone had any luck finding those in store ?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21127 posts
2151 upvotes
djuroganovic wrote:
May 15th, 2017 8:55 am
... or just avoid going places without cellphone coverage with your fitbit :)
The problem is, as some people have learned with other internet-reliant products, is what if Fitbit goes out of business, gets bought out, or just plain chooses to discontinue support and development for a certain product? You're then stuck with an electronic gadget that is practically useless..that you paid money for.

Imagine if the headphones you bought last year stopped working, just because a company dropped support or went out of business? That would seem ridiculous. But for so-called "tech gear" this seems to be acceptable for some folks.
Nov 16, 2013
149 posts
244 upvotes
ES_Revenge wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:04 am
The problem is, as some people have learned with other internet-reliant products, is what if Fitbit goes out of business, gets bought out, or just plain chooses to discontinue support and development for a certain product? You're then stuck with an electronic gadget that is practically useless..that you paid money for.

Imagine if the headphones you bought last year stopped working, just because a company dropped support or went out of business? That would seem ridiculous. But for so-called "tech gear" this seems to be acceptable for some folks.
Okay, you need to stop fear-mongering. These types of "always on" devices have been around for a while, and they will continue to be around for a long time. You are taking the worst-case scenario and blanketing that across every device.

Look at Pebble, they got completely bought out. My Pebble Time? Works just as it did.

Now imagine if I take my experience with my Pebbly and blanket it across all devices, then I could say "Buy Fitbit products!" Just like you are saying "do not buy Fitbit products".

Just because you thought something up, and then went online and found other similar experiences using Google, doesn't mean "you're onto something", I just means you know how to find people with the same opinion as you and it makes you fee validated.
Dec 24, 2007
53 posts
22 upvotes
My understanding is that Fitbit is more social-network oriented gadget, where your friends can brag how more active than you they are :) , so it is expectable that it relies on internet connection.
If you're looking for raw offline activity tracking, you should look elsewhere, fitbit is not very precise. It's strength is that it can engage their rather large customer social network.

I agree with ES_Revenge, but If product is cheap enough, not many customers will care that their "last year headphones" stopped working...they wer cheap enough to throw them away and look for something else. Just look at Chromebooks...very popular product lately, and we all know that Google is not famous with long product support. People are still buying, most likely because they are cheap enough ;)
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21127 posts
2151 upvotes
EverJay wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:21 am
Look at Pebble, they got completely bought out. My Pebble Time? Works just as it did.
Look at what I wrote.
EverJay wrote:
Just like you are saying "do not buy Fitbit products".
I never said this anywhere.
EverJay wrote:
Just because you thought something up, and then went online and found other similar experiences using Google, doesn't mean "you're onto something", I just means you know how to find people with the same opinion as you and it makes you fee validated.
WTF are you on about? I actually bought a Lyve device, as a gift, and that was the result. So keep going on with the nonsense about "fee validated" (whatever the eff that means). I'm not fear mongering anything and I'm actually the very last person to fear monger anything at any time. I'm merely pointing out that this is a possibility. Just because your Pebble time works "just as it did" does NOT mean that other internet dependent devices will work indefinitely just because yours was "fee validated" or whatever (?) Pebble Time does.
Last edited by ES_Revenge on May 15th, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
21127 posts
2151 upvotes
djuroganovic wrote:
May 15th, 2017 9:24 am
I agree with ES_Revenge, but If product is cheap enough, not many customers will care that their "last year headphones" stopped working...they wer cheap enough to throw them away and look for something else. Just look at Chromebooks...very popular product lately, and we all know that Google is not famous with long product support. People are still buying, most likely because they are cheap enough ;)
Indeed. At $40 you probably wouldn't care about the FitBit not working so long as you got some use out of it. At the retail price of like $150? Not so much. TBH I don't see Fitbit going out of business anytime soon (if only for the "brag to your friends"/"wear in lieu of actually being in shape" type of attraction to buyers) but there's no telling when they'll just say, "Well guys this product is EOL and too old so we're not going to keep anything for it going, including online access...which incidentally is required for the thing to operate. Instead you can purchasee more of our new products at expected ludicrous prices." LOL.

Honestly at $40 I'm tempted to buy one myself but then you have to consider that there are no-name/off-brand trackers that are even cheaper and offer just about the same measure of assuredness that they'll continue to work and be supported (in fact those aren't much supported to begin with but at $20-30, it's even less to worry about).
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2800 posts
272 upvotes
So, back to the deal... are these hard to find? What part of the store would they be in?
× < >
Rotate image Save Cancel