Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Canon EOS M10 15-45 Black Digital Camera $398 Mirrorless

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 2nd, 2018 10:41 am
Deal Addict
Oct 30, 2002
1551 posts
331 upvotes
Vancouver
As a previous Canon EOS-M fan, I would tell you to stay away from the Canon M line. I owned the Original M, the M3, and the M5. With each itteration I hoped that Canon would change their ways, and was disappointed every time. Canon is trying to save the dying DSLR market by making a sub-par mirrorless that wont take away sales form their DSLRs.
-----------------------------
Oh RFD!!! You've Broken my wallet.... :(
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
Art wrote: As a previous Canon EOS-M fan, I would tell you to stay away from the Canon M line. I owned the Original M, the M3, and the M5. With each itteration I hoped that Canon would change their ways, and was disappointed every time. Canon is trying to save the dying DSLR market by making a sub-par mirrorless that wont take away sales form their DSLRs.
That's Canon's MO, water drop their other bodies to protect sales of their higher end bodies.

It's why I have a brand new Canon 6D2 on sale in BST and my last Canon L lens.
Mar 15, 2011
201 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
rebel_rfd wrote: That's Canon's MO, water drop their other bodies to protect sales of their higher end bodies.

It's why I have a brand new Canon 6D2 on sale in BST and my last Canon L lens.
Yes, is very sad to see that Canon is stuck in their old ways. I have ML on the original 6D because Canon specifically nerf the video capabilities so you have to buy their video cams yo do any decent video work.

Here's an interesting article that compares the iPhone X fake Bokeh with the Canon M100 F3.5 macro. https://www.dpreview.com/articles/13218 ... slr-camera

Smartphones and computational photography is catching up fast.
Jan 9, 2007
44 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: For newbies with the budget for it I would strongly recommend the Sony A6000 and 16-50 kit lens, I have never seen it below $550 though.
It was $479 at Henry's on Dec 27, 2017. I got the A6000 body for $400 on that day.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Senlong wrote: Yes, is very sad to see that Canon is stuck in their old ways. I have ML on the original 6D because Canon specifically nerf the video capabilities so you have to buy their video cams yo do any decent video work.
Be thankful that Magic Lantern even exists. Nikon, Sony etc. lock down their firmware tightly.

Magic Lantern is a huge reason to buy Canon.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
MusicLover wrote: It was $479 at Henry's on Dec 27, 2017. I got the A6000 body for $400 on that day.
I thought it was $579 on Boxing Day. $479 is very hot if it included the kit lens.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
Art wrote: As a previous Canon EOS-M fan, I would tell you to stay away from the Canon M line. I owned the Original M, the M3, and the M5. With each itteration I hoped that Canon would change their ways, and was disappointed every time. Canon is trying to save the dying DSLR market by making a sub-par mirrorless that wont take away sales form their DSLRs.
Canon should definitely make a better mirrorless. They seem happy to give that market away though, for now.

The DSLR market is far from dying and Canon still does very well. The bulk of the pro market still won't touch anything but Canon / Nikon. Mirrorless is actually the market at risk. Samsung is dead, Nikon mirrorless is dead, Canon mirrorless has an uncertain future which is another reason I would not invest in lenses for EF-M.

I can see a Nikon / Sony merger happening one day, and that would create a formidable company.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: Canon should definitely make a better mirrorless. They seem happy to give that market away though, for now.

The DSLR market is far from dying and Canon still does very well. The bulk of the pro market still won't touch anything but Canon / Nikon.

I can see a Nikon / Sony merger happening one day, and that would create a formidable company.
A7riii answered the concerns of the pro market.

And I'm very sure Sony is working on a A9r if a new 1Dx bodt shows up from Canon this year or soon.

There's a ton of Canon gear being dumped into the resale market, even at Henry's.

I was in the other day and tons of Nikon and Canon glass but not a single Sony lens in the used section.

I think Sony has left such a margin that it will take aggressive pricing and EF mount to bring back customers and secure existing Canon customers.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
rebel_rfd wrote: A7riii answered the concerns of the pro market.

And I'm very sure Sony is working on a A9r if a new 1Dx bodt shows up from Canon this year or soon.

There's a ton of Canon gear being dumped into the resale market, even at Henry's.

I was in the other day and tons of Nikon and Canon glass but not a single Sony lens in the used section.

I think Sony has left such a margin that it will take aggressive pricing and EF mount to bring back customers and secure existing Canon customers.
The fact that there is a ton of Canon and Nikon in the used section is because these two manufacturers control the bulk of the pro market so there is a huge resale volume of gear. It's one big benefit of shooting Canikon.

Sony glass remains expensive and the level of support for pros is not gonna reach the level of Canon / Nikon for a long time.

Maybe consumers (a flaky market that is largely switching to smartphones) is dumping Canon gear, but there is no evidence the pro market is doing so.

Watch the coming Olympics and see what brand of gear the pros are using.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 4, 2008
5752 posts
2585 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: The fact that there is a ton of Canon and Nikon in the used section is because these two manufacturers control the bulk of the pro market so there is a huge resale volume of gear. It's one big benefit of shooting Canikon.

Sony glass remains expensive and the level of support for pros is not gonna reach the level of Canon / Nikon for a long time.

Maybe consumers (a flaky market that is largely switching to smartphones) is dumping Canon gear, but there is no evidence the pro market is doing so.

Watch the coming Olympics and see what brand of gear the pros are using.
David Burnett switches to Sony after 40 Years of Shooting Canon

The Olympics would be a bit biased as Sony still doesn't have super telephoto GM lenses.

In terms of your typical wedding/studio photographers, with the recent batch of GM 2.8 zooms, its given reasons for folks to switch over.

Nikon at least offers a D850, Canon doesn't have a single saving grace for anyone looking to upgrade to a full frame camera today.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
rebel_rfd wrote: David Burnett switches to Sony after 40 Years of Shooting Canon

The Olympics would be a bit biased as Sony still doesn't have super telephoto GM lenses.

In terms of your typical wedding/studio photographers, with the recent batch of GM 2.8 zooms, its given reasons for folks to switch over.

Nikon at least offers a D850, Canon doesn't have a single saving grace for anyone looking to upgrade to a full frame camera today.
For what it's worth, my friend is a pro portrait photographer. He tried the Sony A7 (one of its variants) and couldn't stand it.

He's back to shooting with his 5D Mark3. YMMV

It's great that Sony is improving their cameras and lens lineup, competition is always good for the camera market.
Dec 3, 2010
701 posts
608 upvotes
Toronto
Strange no one mentioned fujifilm mirror less. If you are patient you can find used xe2 with the exceptionally good 18-55 kit lens for around 600 on kijiji. Compact body with viewfinder, flash and excellent JPEG output. Can't think of a better budget camera for lazy people like me who doesn't do any post processing.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
muffin_man wrote: Strange no one mentioned fujifilm mirror less. If you are patient you can find used xe2 with the exceptionally good 18-55 kit lens for around 600 on kijiji. Compact body with viewfinder, flash and excellent JPEG output. Can't think of a better budget camera for lazy people like me who doesn't do any post processing.
It's also a better choice than the M10, but we're getting into a whole other price range.
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2009
1473 posts
1178 upvotes
Montreal
As far as I'm concerned, Fuji and Olympus (as well as Panasonic) are the ones catering to the serious photographer in mirrorless and have the longest track record in making them. Oly lenses are not only fantastic but there is a huge selection at relatively cheap prices, where Fuji's excellent glass tends to be pricier. Obviously still plenty of room for development in M43 and APS-C, and until we see more full frame cameras the size of the Leica M-P at the weight of an Oly OM-D at reasonable prices (with compact lenses to match), I'd stick with the tried and true and avoid anything other than Fuji, Olympus, Panasonic, and think twice about Sony due to the poor lens selection/performance.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2008
1043 posts
1372 upvotes
I picked up an EOS M100 over the holidays (successor to the M10), despite most extensive research pointing to the servicable-but-aging a6000 being better. I did consider the M10 at a cheaper price.

The M10's autofocus is slow and would make me extremely hesitant to pick up this camera, even at this price. The M100 has dual pixel autofocus which makes its AF performance passable.

The lack of hot shoe and electronic viewfinder on the M100 are the major cons. If this is going to be your sole camera and you want to get into some semi-advanced amateur photography, I would not recommend it. However, I have a significant number of EF/EF-S lenses, and these work like a charm with the adapter (I have a 3rd party adapter), with working AF. I have an SLR for more advanced things. With the 24mm pancake lens, the M100 is a lot of fun and makes a lovely casual camera.

If I was shopping for a mirrorless camera and (a) didn't already have Canon lenses, or (b) was using it as my sole camera, I would have gone with the Sony though.
Sep 23, 2007
291 posts
1275 upvotes
Vancouver
Kurtz7834 wrote: I'm a long time Canon DSLR shooter. This M10 has no flash hotshoe which makes it useless for anything serious.

For your average joe who wants a nice camera, I would highly recommend spending the extra $150 or so and getting the Sony A6000, which has a great viewfinder, hotshoe etc.
For the average consumer, this Canon M10 is more than enough camera.

Just to clarify for those that may not know, it doesn't have a hot-shoe (which is the standard mount on top of all DSLR's for mounting external flash/led panel/mic) but it does have a perfectly functional pop-up flash.

If you are going to look at a camera that is $150 more, you can look at the Canon M6 too which is pretty much inline with the A6000. It all comes down to preference.

Canon, to me, is better at photos, and Sony, to me, is better at video. Both makes will do both functions but each one excels only at one.

I haven't been tracking the price on the Canon M10, but $399 doesn't seem like a crazy deal, you are accurate on that.

Looks like it floats around this price quite often - http://www.photoprice.ca/product/05905/ ... price.html
Mar 15, 2011
201 posts
248 upvotes
Toronto
Kurtz7834 wrote: For what it's worth, my friend is a pro portrait photographer. He tried the Sony A7 (one of its variants) and couldn't stand it.

He's back to shooting with his 5D Mark3. YMMV

It's great that Sony is improving their cameras and lens lineup, competition is always good for the camera market.
What Canon does best is in the ergonomics and system. Kinda like Apple. The specs are bad. But to me the layout and system makes more sense. Knowing your camera and how to use it will get you better pics because you don't have to fiddle around with the settings and also know what the results are. So whether is has 1 focus point or 100 is useless if you can't make use of it. I think that's why a lot of Pros still stick with Canikon because it just works. Sony is still all about tech but they still have a long way to go in terms of reliability and a support system for the PROs in real world usage.
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
If you're a jpeg people shooter and don't always like spending computer time editing RAWs, Canon has nice SOOC skin tones, see 2:23

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)