• Last Updated:
  • Mar 13th, 2011 3:32 am
Tags:
None
Feb 28, 2011
1 posts
Texas

Walmart cashier help

Hi, I'm new here and the only reason I created an account was to ask this question(s). So I'm a new cashier at Walmart and I have no idea what I'm doing 75% of the time. I've been a cashier for two days (Sunday night & Monday). Today will be my third day being on my own. It's my first real job and I can't seem to get the hang of the some of the transaction codes. Anytime I ask a CSM for help they look at me like "uhh, are you an idiot?!" so I am now afraid to ask them for any help. So my questions are: when a customer wants to pay using a check but they would like some money back what codes do I type in for that transaction? Also, when they want to use a shop card to make a purchase what codes do I use for that transaction? I know these sound like such stupid questions but it takes me a while to catch onto new things. And, like I said, it's my first time being a cashier and my first real job in general. I'm really REALLY really REALLY desperate! Any help at all would just make my day. I have a shift tonight and I'm already dreading it and freaking out because I don't want to be fired on my third day. So please, anything ANY little bit of help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for reading.
5 replies
Jan 17, 2010
275 posts
12 upvotes
Niagara Falls
It's your third day and totally unreasonable for them to expect you to have all that memorized. They likely don't think you're an idiot. Ask if they have a list of codes for you to bring home so you can study.

My first job was at Zehrs and to remember all those produce codes would be impossible in 2 shifts. You will get the hang of it, and remember everyone there was in your place at one point in time.
Mar 13, 2008
201 posts
3 upvotes
Toronto
Perhaps you should try asking your co-workers or your supervisor.

If they aren't willing to help or are complete knobs about it you wouldn't want to be working there anyway.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2007
3000 posts
97 upvotes
Home
@ mcarolina
Walmart should have given you enough training to handle a cash register.
I am not sure what codes they used in States but here in Canada , I have never had a customer pay with cheque and ask for return.
The only cheques we accept were the manufacturers coupons/cheques but those were processed by simply keying in the amounts and by passing the cheques through the printer.

If the CSM's are giving you hard time, talk to your manager or a HR personnel about it.

I hope this helps.
If you love something, set it free. If it comes back, it was, and always will be yours. If it never returns, it was never yours to begin with :|
Feb 12, 2007
14 posts
1 upvote
It's usually the ones who took longer to learn, the least cooperative when it comes to newbies.
Write down everything and keep it at your cash register. You will be a code whiz in no time.
You will be fine :)
Deal Addict
Aug 8, 2006
1265 posts
340 upvotes
Vancouver
mcarolina wrote: Hi, I'm new here and the only reason I created an account was to ask this question(s). So I'm a new cashier at Walmart and I have no idea what I'm doing 75% of the time. I've been a cashier for two days (Sunday night & Monday). Today will be my third day being on my own. It's my first real job and I can't seem to get the hang of the some of the transaction codes. Anytime I ask a CSM for help they look at me like "uhh, are you an idiot?!" so I am now afraid to ask them for any help. So my questions are: when a customer wants to pay using a check but they would like some money back what codes do I type in for that transaction? Also, when they want to use a shop card to make a purchase what codes do I use for that transaction? I know these sound like such stupid questions but it takes me a while to catch onto new things. And, like I said, it's my first time being a cashier and my first real job in general. I'm really REALLY really REALLY desperate! Any help at all would just make my day. I have a shift tonight and I'm already dreading it and freaking out because I don't want to be fired on my third day. So please, anything ANY little bit of help would be so greatly appreciated. Thanks so much for reading.

I work at Walmart Canada and you work for Walmart in Texas I'm assuming. Our system is sort of different here in Canada so it's better to ask on an American forum because we probably can't help you. As far as I'm aware, we have active Transaction Codes but we never use them; instead if we need help, we just call the CSM over the speakers for "HALP! HALP! ASAP!" lmao. Nor do Walmart Canada stores accept personal cheques.

The only advice I can give you is:
-Don't freak out. I remember my first 3 weeks being scary as hell and not knowing what to do for anything. They literally throw you on cash immediately with another cashier for training with no booklet to refer to. So it's expected that you're woefully lost.
-Print the Action Code list. If you can't remember which action codes to use, print out the full list of Action Codes to refer to. You have to use an Action Code to print that list onto a receipt paper (I don't remember which number since our store stopped using Action Codes altogether so ask a CSM)
-Don't be afraid and ask your CSM for help. I remember being scared to bother them but that's their job...to help you. If you feel you're being annoying, just tell them "I'm sorry for being annoying."
-The stuff will become second nature. So don't sweat it.

I've worked at even more confusing places. Tim Hortons. O god...that cash register looked like a rainbow.
[external link removed]

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)