• Nov 16th, 2018 1:11 am
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6254 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
jaswest2754 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:48 pm

They only got 3.6% of our market it’s not gonna end up in our standard milk, it will come in the form of some speciality cheeses, whey powder, and maybe some speciality milk products.
sandikosh wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:45 am
Fairlife is bottled in the states and imported by the Minute Maid Company.
Thanks for the photo

Yup, and Minute Maid... IS COCA-COLA
Did you even click on the Coca-Cola link in my post.. with their Co. announcement ?
It also clearly says their bottling facility in Peterborough for Fairlife US Milk to open Fall 2018
(Don’t know the status of the facility... but living here in E. Ontario, it would pretty easy to find out)

As another poster pointed out... not all milk is “liquid”
So the milk may be coming across the border in a powdered format
And rehydrated & bottled (eventually if not now) at the Peterborough facility once it’s open
I think this convo, calls for more investigation into then WHERE & HOW as it is MILK MILK we are talking about and not other Dairy Items as many RFDers / Cdns thought would be happening for the most part
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2006
4673 posts
2053 upvotes
Toronto
sandikosh wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 9:45 am
Fairlife is bottled in the states and imported by the Minute Maid Company.
I would still buy Canadian, if I were into bottled milk
I swear to drunk I'm not God 😝
Jun 5, 2009
206 posts
47 upvotes
Ottawa
I saw the new plastic bottles from Lanctantia at the grocery the other day and was actually mildly disgusted. WTH would you take a low environmental impact container and replace it with a plastic that most cities is throwing away. Why not just make then like the 1L and 2L.
Jul 13, 2003
128 posts
416 upvotes
That's disappointing as we only buy Dairyland because of taste preference. I was at WM yesterday and didn't look at the regular milk but the little bottles of flavoured milk and milkshakes were switched to Hersheys brand. My husband loves the Neilson French Vanilla Milkshakes and Walmart was by far the cheapest place to buy them but they're gone now.
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2009
3387 posts
1675 upvotes
Reminds me of Simpson’s episode
Images
  • E617BECF-BE6B-432A-AF99-2FDCBF230517.png
Oct 10, 2016
151 posts
24 upvotes
Vancouver
jonnieh wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:51 am
That's disappointing as we only buy Dairyland because of taste preference. I was at WM yesterday and didn't look at the regular milk but the little bottles of flavoured milk and milkshakes were switched to Hersheys brand. My husband loves the Neilson French Vanilla Milkshakes and Walmart was by far the cheapest place to buy them but they're gone now.
When I was at Shoppers Drug Mart last week, they had Dairyland. It was only $4.75 (??) for 4L.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6254 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
matrixsoul wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 11:46 am
I saw the new plastic bottles from Lanctantia at the grocery the other day and was actually mildly disgusted. WTH would you take a low environmental impact container and replace it with a plastic that most cities is throwing away. Why not just make then like the 1L and 2L.
Ya me too.

Nothing wrong with Milk Bags or Waxed Cartons

Which is WHY I was wondering if this was the American influence / thing... seeing as the two plastic bottles Fairlife (US Milk) and Lactantia looked so similar / identical

As Cdns we have a far better record on the environment & community recycling
Something that has been common place across our nation since the 1980s

I get physically ill every time I have to throw something in the garbage in the US that we here recycle

I always ask ... “what do I do with this? Where is your recycle bin?”

And 9 times out of 10 get the same answer “We don’t recycle... just goes in the trash”

It is indeed disgusting

It’s bad enough if we have US milk here... but we don’t need to follow their poor examples as well
(Part of the reason... that stuff sometimes is so cheap in America... they only are concerned with THE GUYS AT THE TOP AND THE NOW ... never the men & women at the bottom, and the big picture / later)

There’s always A COST to things
And personally I am not buying into all this
No matter how cheap it all APPEARS upfront
No US Milk at our house
Feb 15, 2017
119 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
jaswest2754 wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:48 pm
They only got 3.6% of our market it’s not gonna end up in our standard milk, it will come in the form of some speciality cheeses, whey powder, and maybe some speciality milk products.
It also goes up 1% a year to 10% if I'm not mistaken. We'll be drinking it on the regular soon enough.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2002
6115 posts
769 upvotes
JemboBam wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:12 pm
It also goes up 1% a year to 10% if I'm not mistaken. We'll be drinking it on the regular soon enough.
No. You're mistaken. It's 3.5%, and that's it. I believe that's approximately the level Canada gave Europe in the recent Canada/Europe free trade agreement. We also gave some market away in the recent Asia deal. All together in the three major trade agreements we've signed (Europe, Asia, North America) I'd guess we've given up about 10% of our dairy and dairy products market.
Feb 15, 2017
119 posts
113 upvotes
Toronto
woof wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:29 pm
No. You're mistaken. It's 3.5%, and that's it. I believe that's approximately the level Canada gave Europe in the recent Canada/Europe free trade agreement. We also gave some market away in the recent Asia deal. All together in the three major trade agreements we've signed (Europe, Asia, North America) I'd guess we've given up about 10% of our dairy and dairy products market.
Oh. Well that's not so bad. Thanks for the clarification.

My concern is going to be getting their milk at places like McDonalds & Starbucks for coffee.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6254 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
JemboBam wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 1:33 pm
Oh. Well that's not so bad. Thanks for the clarification.

My concern is going to be getting their milk at places like McDonalds & Starbucks for coffee.
This is where the Consumer can use their power to be informed
AND if you don’t like what’s happening
COMPLAIN or BOYCOTT

Consumers have done this in the past

Example... after Heinz pulled out of Leamington
Cdn Consumers made noise
Now French’s is on target to become the #1 Ketchup in Canada
And is using Leamington Tomatoes, and now bottling here
(And there are now Import Tariffs on Heinz Ketchup ... since July 1st)
AND places like A&W were wise enough to get onboard
With their Proudly Cdn ... serving French’s Ketchup Campaign
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2006
1545 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
I've also noticed that Walmart has stopped stocking Country Harvest toast bread. Now it's just the awful Dempsters and store-brand ones. I'll stick with Fortinos.
Jun 21, 2016
260 posts
71 upvotes
Are those other brands of milk bottles made from plastic somehow different vs current plastic milk bottles?

I am in BC and plastic bottles are common here, 4 liters for example only comes in plastic bottle, 1 and 2 liter are the only sizes in the cardboard type containers, and 2 liter is also available in a plastic bottle.

I don't see the fuss over those brands also using plastic bottles.