• Nov 16th, 2018 1:11 am
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
19905 posts
3778 upvotes
Poormond Hill
RobertL130 wrote:
Nov 9th, 2018 12:17 pm
Unless you use up the whole bag at once, the milk turns bad very quick; milk jug for me Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes
Points is comparing a bag of 4L milk versus a jug of 4L. A 4L bag has 3 bags of 1.33l milk.
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Nov 8, 2018
2 posts
Personally I would not touch any Walmart food for any reason - especially milk and meat! Looking at the milk I happen to have in the house - both Nelson (Costco) and Beatrice (Mac's Milk) both taste fine. Are these both Canadian (thought I read that)?
Jun 21, 2016
260 posts
71 upvotes
Lucerne isnt some weird off brand exclusive to Wal Mart. The brand is part of agropur now who also owns several other dairy brands.

https://www.agropur.com/en/our-brands

DianaT2806 wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 7:17 am
Personally I would not touch any Walmart food for any reason - especially milk and meat! Looking at the milk I happen to have in the house - both Nelson (Costco) and Beatrice (Mac's Milk) both taste fine. Are these both Canadian (thought I read that)?
Sep 21, 2017
75 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
Do people really notice that much of a difference between milk brands? Unless you pay like double the price for organic grass fed or something.
To me Dairyland, Lucerne, Islands farms all taste pretty much the same. I buy Dairyland because that's what loblaws stores carry and it tastes fine to me.
I've also never heard of Neilson or beatrice milk so I guess its an eastern brand?
Dec 5, 2005
804 posts
118 upvotes
We've noticed taste differences between the brands of milk here and will have to find Dairyland elsewhere if WM will not stock it anymore.
Mar 26, 2005
711 posts
688 upvotes
St Clements, MB
I'm in the "Winnipeg & Selkirk area" - I find that with Chocolate milk I can notice a big gap in taste between Beatrice & Lucerne. Here, Beatrice is almost exclusivly available @ Costco and Superstore/Nofills. Dairyland is available at a lot of smaller retailers like Shoppers' and various conveniece stores.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6250 posts
3845 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
funcanuck wrote:
Nov 10th, 2018 4:52 pm
Do people really notice that much of a difference between milk brands? Unless you pay like double the price for organic grass fed or something.
To me Dairyland, Lucerne, Islands farms all taste pretty much the same. I buy Dairyland because that's what loblaws stores carry and it tastes fine to me.
I've also never heard of Neilson or beatrice milk so I guess its an eastern brand?
Neilson = https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neilson_Dairy
Beatrice = https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beatrice_Foods_Canada
Jan 12, 2017
594 posts
661 upvotes
YK
lennyandcarl wrote:
Nov 7th, 2018 11:42 pm
Is it cheaper American milk?
Yes. Lucerne is owned by Safeway. Safeway is a US company.
Jan 12, 2017
594 posts
661 upvotes
YK
Cheapo-Findo wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 10:50 am
As long as it ain't Rat milk, I'm cool.
US milk has hormones. Canadian milk does not.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
9459 posts
3853 upvotes
Toronto
Soooo guys going to have man-boobs if they drink too much?

OH THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!! WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
NoWynne2018 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 8:36 am
US milk has hormones. Canadian milk does not.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Sep 21, 2017
75 posts
28 upvotes
Vancouver
NoWynne2018 wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 8:32 am
Yes. Lucerne is owned by Safeway. Safeway is a US company.
No it's not. Lucerne is owned by Agropur which is Canadian. Safeway/Sobeys is also a separate company from the American Safeway and is Canadian.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6250 posts
3845 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
funcanuck wrote:
Nov 12th, 2018 7:34 pm
No it's not. Lucerne is owned by Agropur which is Canadian. Safeway/Sobeys is also a separate company from the American Safeway and is Canadian.
This

There are lots of Canadian Companies have American “cousins”
The Grocery & dairy industry is no different

Price Chopper Canada ... is not Price Chopper USA
Safeway Canada ... is not Safeway USA
Beatrice Foods Canada ... is not Beatrice Foods USA (they went defunct in 1990)
Feb 11, 2013
53 posts
10 upvotes
North Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 12:41 am
American milk AS MILK ... is here already in Ontario
It’s branded as Fairlife
https://fairlife.com
Is ultra filtered and comes in funky plastic bottles
It is bottled in Peterborough, and distributed by Coca Cola Canada
https://www.coca-cola.ca/stories/fairlife#ath

Interestingly... I see that another well known Cdn Milk Co
(Might have been Lucerne... I cannot recall right off)
Was now also selling in the same funky bottles

Not sure if this means that Cdn Co is also bottling at the new plant in Peterborough
Or if they are now also importing US milk for their brand

I will have to take a further look at those bottles next time I am at the Grocery Store
Info on place of origin (US Milk) and Distribution (Coca Cola Canada) being right in the label for Fairlife
We have just been given a 1.5L bottle of 2% fairlife to try and our opinion is that it is not very good tasting milk. I certainly would not buy it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)