Tags:
None
[OP]
Jul 26, 2013
267 posts
143 upvotes
CALGARY

walmart chicken

I always notice that Walmart has some very interesting deals on chicken breast. Their $10.00 Maple Leaf chicken breast always seems to be 50-100% more than you will get from any other retailer at a similar price point. What's the deal?
8 replies
Banned
May 12, 2004
9759 posts
4089 upvotes
Ottawa
If that's the case why not sell it for $x.xx/lb like everyone else? I've done the math with thekitchen scale and you are not getting a deal compared to weekly sales from competitors. Its all to pull the wool over your eyes and it seems to be working well based on this post...
Censorship is telling a man he can't have a steak just because a baby can't chew it.
- Mark Twain
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2015
2423 posts
1869 upvotes
Cochrane, AB
It's possible because Walmart owns the patent for a three breasted chicken, which allows it to get more meat per chicken.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2011 upvotes
Nowhere
Cas77 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2015 6:52 pm
If that's the case why not sell it for $x.xx/lb like everyone else? I've done the math with thekitchen scale and you are not getting a deal compared to weekly sales from competitors. Its all to pull the wool over your eyes and it seems to be working well based on this post...
Agreed. It seems Freshco is doing the same thing although they will list the weight in the flyer so you can figure out the price/lb after converting from grams. I have never found anything advertised that way to be a deal. It doesn't even get on my shopping list if it doesn't have a price per lb/kg.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20736 posts
6768 upvotes
findmesumdealz wrote:
Feb 16th, 2015 6:41 pm
I always notice that Walmart has some very interesting deals on chicken breast. Their $10.00 Maple Leaf chicken breast always seems to be 50-100% more than you will get from any other retailer at a similar price point. What's the deal?
Where are you getting your other retailer's chicken? Walmart is no cheaper than anyone else and is often more expensive.
The biggest issue is the random weights. Assuming an average of 900g (which is literally an average since I've seen as low as 700g and as high as 1100g) you're looking at $5.04/lb.
If you're buying chicken breasts at $7.50/lb or $10/lb you're getting completely boned.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2009
2121 posts
573 upvotes
One day I bought chicken at walmart... The package was completely sealed...

When I got home, noticed a 7 inch hair, in a sealed package...

Returned it and never bought meat from Walmart ever again
Aug 4, 2014
491 posts
53 upvotes
North of GTA
It may be advantageous for the retailer to sell chicken this way. It is not cheaper for the consumer.

This week at No Frills, drumsticks and thighs are 5.45 / kg.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8715 posts
2073 upvotes
London
JoeStale wrote:
Feb 16th, 2015 7:01 pm
It's possible because Walmart owns the patent for a three breasted chicken, which allows it to get more meat per chicken.
Is this the one with 6 legs?
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2013
4004 posts
626 upvotes
Richmond
Cheap Cat wrote:
Feb 16th, 2015 11:48 pm
Agreed. It seems Freshco is doing the same thing although they will list the weight in the flyer so you can figure out the price/lb after converting from grams. I have never found anything advertised that way to be a deal. It doesn't even get on my shopping list if it doesn't have a price per lb/kg.
+1