Hot Deals

[Walmart] Coleman 1 LB Propane Cylinder $3.68 (May 18 till May 24)

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 21st, 2017 7:20 am
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1641 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
AncasterRFD wrote:
May 18th, 2017 7:09 pm
Depends how long you're willing to wait, they're around $7 on eBay and we have a customs delay now, could be 3 weeks, could be 3 months. Or off Amazon around $20 and get it in a week. Mac Coupler is one of the originals and they are sold cross border too.
Mrbj wrote:
May 17th, 2017 6:15 pm
Can somebody recommend a reasonably priced refill adapter (Filling 1lb from 20lb tank)
Just a warning: refilling disposable 1LB tanks is both illegal and very dangerous. They're not meant to be refilled. You need at least 20% air space in a tank to adjust for gas expansion and you have no way of knowing how much you've filled already. To spell that out for you in an example: you refill a tank and store it somewhere, propane expands due to change in temperature, and it now leaks the expanded gas, spark, boom, and fire.

http://www.tssa.org/corplibrary/Article ... 889551D742
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9199 posts
3400 upvotes
Southern Ontario
mmmken wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:24 pm
Just a warning: refilling disposable 1LB tanks is both illegal and very dangerous. They're not meant to be refilled. You need at least 20% air space in a tank to adjust for gas expansion and you have no way of knowing how much you've filled already. To spell that out for you in an example: you refill a tank and store it somewhere, propane expands due to change in temperature, and it now leaks the expanded gas, spark, boom, and fire.

My 1lb canisters are stored empty and I weigh them on fill. If they leak, they're disposed. That link always comes up, it's babysitting, and not illegal in many provinces and the US. If people don't feel safe doing it or don't know how to follow safety precautions, skip the refill couplers. I also refuse to add to the mountain of spent canisters at Provincial Parks.
Dec 8, 2014
119 posts
35 upvotes
Calgary, AB
it was listed as $3.68 at the store, bought 2 to add to the 4 I current have
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2012
1482 posts
495 upvotes
Kanata, ON
AncasterRFD wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:38 pm
My 1lb canisters are stored empty and I weigh them on fill. If they leak, they're disposed. That link always comes up, it's babysitting, and not illegal in many provinces and the US. If people don't feel safe doing it or don't know how to follow safety precautions, skip the refill couplers. I also refuse to add to the mountain of spent canisters at Provincial Parks.
This...

I can't believe the amount of spent propane canisters. I sure hope they're recycled/reused. It's one reason I switched to a naphthalene burner.
Dec 10, 2012
630 posts
288 upvotes
Richmond Hill
mmmken wrote:
May 18th, 2017 11:24 pm

That's sounds like the same thing the government was saying that drivers should not fill their own gas in their cars at gas stations. Guess what only some idiots driving Porsche 918 torch their cars. For the most part its safe to refill these bottles, they are always over engineered for its intended purpose.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1068 posts
163 upvotes
Does Canadian Tire still price match? They're both Coleman cylinders!
Jan 9, 2011
613 posts
291 upvotes
Vancouver
Any deals on liquid camp fuel (white gas/naphtha)? The price of this stuff has gone through the roof in recent years. 15 years ago it was $6.99/gal at Canadian Tire, now it's $22.99/gal. Five years ago someone explained that the price of naphtha is high because it is in high demand as an industrial diluent in the Alberta tar sands. Now with tar sands production so much lower you'd expect naphtha to be cheaper. But, of course, it isn't.
Deal Addict
Oct 20, 2005
1641 posts
358 upvotes
Toronto
sirxterminator wrote: That's sounds like the same thing the government was saying that drivers should not fill their own gas in their cars at gas stations. Guess what only some idiots driving Porsche 918 torch their cars. For the most part its safe to refill these bottles, they are always over engineered for its intended purpose.
Umm, big difference. A car is over engineered to be refillable while a $4 tank of propane is not.

Even the proponents of refilling these bottles acknowledge the dangers of this if not (very) carefully done. My warning wasn't meant to say "it will blow up" but instead to do some due diligence before you blow yourself up. Because that *will* happen if you don't allot for that buffer space.

It's not safe "for the most part", but can be somewhat safe if you be extremely careful (weighing pre and post fill).
Oct 12, 2011
369 posts
105 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know if these expires just like the 20 lbs ones?
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2012
1516 posts
505 upvotes
KINGSTON
Kiraly wrote:
May 20th, 2017 1:12 am
Any deals on liquid camp fuel (white gas/naphtha)? The price of this stuff has gone through the roof in recent years. 15 years ago it was $6.99/gal at Canadian Tire, now it's $22.99/gal. Five years ago someone explained that the price of naphtha is high because it is in high demand as an industrial diluent in the Alberta tar sands. Now with tar sands production so much lower you'd expect naphtha to be cheaper. But, of course, it isn't.
I think the high cost of white gas for camping purposes has been caused by Coleman, et al, moving away from liquid fuel to propane appliances. The propane stoves and lanterns have fewer moving parts, and are cheaper to manufacture. I think Coleman's business model is to sell lots and lots of 1LB bottles, at a huge profit, considering what the price of bulk propane is for them.

Frankly, I think there should be an environmental surcharge on those non refillable 1LB bottles. Take a look at the huge pile of spent cylinders at your provincial/federal campground this summer. There was a plea from Ontario Parks a while back, asking people to discontinue use of disposable cylinders, because they cost money (I think it was $2 a tank) to dispose of them, as they are considered hazardous waste.
Jan 8, 2009
953 posts
130 upvotes
Brampton
What is the best way to store them. Is storing in garage ok?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 15, 2012
9199 posts
3400 upvotes
Southern Ontario
xbox2xbox wrote:
May 20th, 2017 11:09 am
80% of capacity, not 80% of 20lbs. https://forums.redflagdeals.com/refilli ... d-2095395/
Awesome, thanks. A more layman answer is probably from this post in your link. It's a 24.x lb tank, so it fills to close to 20lb or 80%.
If you bring any other type cylinder, it's filled to 80% of capacity, but I was only referring to the standard tank.

https://forums.redflagdeals.com/refilli ... #p27716142