[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2304 posts
1262 upvotes
The NORTH

Walmart Eliminating Weekly Flyers

Hey All;

Heard a rumor and searched the forums/web but came up empty. I was shopping at walmart today and there was a sign in the flyer holder to go online. I asked at the customer desk about it and a manager said that the direction from their office was to direct people online for flyers as a cost saving measure.

Take this with a grain of salt as I can't find anything online. Anyone else heard of the elimination of flyers? I can see it as a way to control expenses but I can also see some shoppers not liking that they cannot get a physical flyer.

So is the flyer going the way of the yellow pages??
38 replies
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
17947 posts
1502 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I haven't seen or heard anything but my guess is they are going to try it out at a few stores to see if it hurts sales or not.

I know I'm Niagara they experimented with charging for carts for a month or two. I'm guessing that experience went poorly as they took the chains off fairly quickly.

They were also charging for bags in Niagara Walmart but I think they've stopped now as well.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2304 posts
1262 upvotes
The NORTH
Evil Baby wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:27 pm
I haven't seen or heard anything but my guess is they are going to try it out at a few stores to see if it hurts sales or not.

I know I'm Niagara they experimented with charging for carts for a month or two. I'm guessing that experience went poorly as they took the chains off fairly quickly.

They were also charging for bags in Niagara Walmart but I think they've stopped now as well.
Really? Last I heard from a friend they still had the chains on in the North Barrie store. And we still get charged for bags here in Thunder Bay. We also got to be the pawn in the walmart vs visa fight a few years ago. Maybe they are going to test out no flyers here in Thunder Bay.

The current flyer is a 2 week flyer, maybe they will run that first to see what the reaction is?
Mar 13, 2004
202 posts
55 upvotes
Aldergrove
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 8:18 pm
Hey All;

Heard a rumor and searched the forums/web but came up empty. I was shopping at walmart today and there was a sign in the flyer holder to go online. I asked at the customer desk about it and a manager said that the direction from their office was to direct people online for flyers as a cost saving measure.

Take this with a grain of salt as I can't find anything online. Anyone else heard of the elimination of flyers? I can see it as a way to control expenses but I can also see some shoppers not liking that they cannot get a physical flyer.

So is the flyer going the way of the yellow pages??
We did not receive a Walmart flyer last week. I do my weekly shopping using flyers.
Needless to say Walmart is not on my errand list this week.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
11222 posts
1671 upvotes
RFD
Well the most recent Walmart flyer was good for two weeks. Maybe that explains why there are no new weekly flyer this week, because its the same as last week. Maybe they are heading that direction, flyers lasting every two weeks?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2304 posts
1262 upvotes
The NORTH
dustymisty wrote:
Sep 17th, 2018 11:35 pm
We did not receive a Walmart flyer last week. I do my weekly shopping using flyers.
Needless to say Walmart is not on my errand list this week.
Same. I go where the sales are and despite walmarts claims of having the lowest prices all the time I have found that a sale at Metro or RCSS is almost always better than the regular price at walmart...
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3967 posts
1268 upvotes
Most of the items aren’t even reduced prices. It’s jist an advertisement for regular priced items
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
3294 posts
3021 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Walmart runs experiments all the time. My local WM had those self-scanners for a couple months, and then they just disappeared. I thought it was a good tool for price checking, but it was horrible execution as a self-checkout tool.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3967 posts
1268 upvotes
Older people aren’t going to like this

I know my dad waits for the flyer guy to come around every Thursday and calls in if it’s not there before Friday morning
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3680 posts
531 upvotes
Wat
Walmart having lowest prices is an illusion. I rarely shop there and when I get a phone deal with a WM GC, it takes me almost a year to use it all.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
1853 posts
610 upvotes
Canada
I've got a Wal-Mart, Superstore, Canadian Tire and Home Depot all within a 5 minute drive from my house so I do my shopping there based on the flyer deals, and go wherever has the cheapest product I want. The flyers are usually useless except for 1-2 items per store. The rest is just filler.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2013
1853 posts
610 upvotes
Canada
Red_Army wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 2:28 pm
Older people aren’t going to like this

I know my dad waits for the flyer guy to come around every Thursday and calls in if it’s not there before Friday morning
You Dad doesn't have internet access? All flyers are online.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3967 posts
1268 upvotes
gbill2004 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 2:58 pm
Old habits die hard

He prefers them in the physical form obviously. Plus he can barely figure out how to turn his phone on let alone use an app or internet on it
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2304 posts
1262 upvotes
The NORTH
gbill2004 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 2:58 pm
Not everyone likes to turn on a computer to check the flyers. And before you say cell phones, blah, blah, blah... not everyone has a smartphone. Older individuals (my grand parents and father being examples) still use flip phones, my grand parents have large buttons to make it easier to dial. These phones don't have internet browser support. Mother had a Galaxy s5 and doesn't use it for flyers because the screen is too small but is now using the ipad I got her. My grand parents have a 10 year old computer that still has a CRT monitor, I have offered to upgrade it for them but it still works and thats all they care about. They have a tablet but dont use it for anything.

My parents and grand parents browse the flyers and plan shopping based around it. They know which stores have the produce that lasts the longest (walmart/no frills seems to go off quicker), meat that tastes the best (Safeway seems to have the best but most expensive), when to shop for marked down for last day sales (RCSS has this is spades). If RCSS has a sale on 5 or 6 things they want, they will go when they figure the best time to get last day items are. They base their shopping on the flyers.

I think walmart just banks on the fact that everyone goes there anyway and the majority of their shoppers won't care. I think this will hit their rural stores a lot harder than they planned. Stores like Napanee, Smiths Falls, Renfrew, Brockville, Leamington, Cobourg... where there are a few competitions that are still using flyers will see those non-tech savvy shoppers following the flyer sales, if you have to drive more than 15 minutes you need a reason to load up the vehicle. Stores in Toronto, Ottawa and other urban areas won't really see a change as shoppers in urban areas have pretty set shopping patterns as everything is readily available. Stores with bulk shoppers will be interesting... Areas like Thunder Bay, Timmons, Dryden, Sault Ste Marie where shoppers make 1 trip every week or two too stock up, those shoppers are buying $1000's of dollars at once. Will they save a buck or five shopping flyers or will they just take the path of least resistance...