[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2307 posts
1283 upvotes
The NORTH
gbill2004 wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 2:57 pm
I've got a Wal-Mart, Superstore, Canadian Tire and Home Depot all within a 5 minute drive from my house so I do my shopping there based on the flyer deals, and go wherever has the cheapest product I want. The flyers are usually useless except for 1-2 items per store. The rest is just filler.
Same, 2 Metro's, 2 shoppers drugmarts, a no frills, a Safeway, a walmart, a canadian tire, an independent butcher and a bakery all within 4km. Expand out to 8km and I have an RCSS, a second walmart, an m&m meats... I shop for 3 - 4 days and go where the sales are. If there is one or 2 items at a few stores I will price match at walmart to save me an extra few stops but the flyers direct where I am going. ESPECIALLY for fruit!!! 3 kids lunches go through Strawberries/Raspberries/Blueberries/Peaches/Pears like nothing and the savings of $2 - $4 per lb alone adds up quick.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2307 posts
1283 upvotes
The NORTH
Wiseman wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 2:51 pm
Walmart having lowest prices is an illusion. I rarely shop there and when I get a phone deal with a WM GC, it takes me almost a year to use it all.
I find it easy to price match if there are 1 or 2 items as 3 different stores I want to get. This is more so when someone has a crazy one day sale on peanut butter (im looking at you SDM!!) or something... they are usually out but I can price match at walmart easily.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
7739 posts
1037 upvotes
Toronto
I try not to support the monopolies like Walmart, amazon etc as much as I can.
There are only a few items I ever pick up at Walmart and only when I visit the Food Basics that's next to it.
I think paperless is very good for the environment though, and getting people to visit their website can lead to more purchases this coming Christmas, plus people get to see all their shipping and in store pick up options etc.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3701 posts
537 upvotes
Wat
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 5:22 pm
I find it easy to price match if there are 1 or 2 items as 3 different stores I want to get. This is more so when someone has a crazy one day sale on peanut butter (im looking at you SDM!!) or something... they are usually out but I can price match at walmart easily.
Agree with you there, it's good for pricematching as they don't question quantities. However they don't have a reward system like pc points. So I end up buying at Superstore/No Frills mainly pricematching + pc bonus points + 3% back on the world elite mastercard. Much much better deal after all rewards are taken into consideration.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1691 posts
512 upvotes
B.C.
Wiseman wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 2:51 pm
Walmart having lowest prices is an illusion. I rarely shop there and when I get a phone deal with a WM GC, it takes me almost a year to use it all.
How so? Where are you shopping that has better prices?

They're the place to get the cheapest stuff in Canada. Not necessarily the best value, but definitely the cheapest! (As long as we're talking National retailers selling new goods and not liquidation places etc).

You might find better deals elsewhere in individual items but Walmart is unfortunately the closest to a one-stop bargain solution that we have.

They do definitely place with their pricing and whatnot, but what store does not?!?
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1691 posts
512 upvotes
B.C.
Are they just posting their flyer online OR are they stopping the weekly sales all together?

Remember when Walmart came to Canada and pushed their "We don't have sales, we have every day low prices" thing and then dropped it a few years later.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4460 posts
133 upvotes
GTA
Price matching to be stopped soon too.. US Walmart’s don’t do pm
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2190 posts
797 upvotes
SW Ontario
lennyandcarl wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 6:13 pm
Are they just posting their flyer online OR are they stopping the weekly sales all together?

Remember when Walmart came to Canada and pushed their "We don't have sales, we have every day low prices" thing and then dropped it a few years later.
I remember that - and they claimed that items would never be out of stock because they had some super duper system that would alert them when stock got low so they could reorder and re-stock the shelf before it went empty

And they said they had some great return policy and in the article they mentioned some guy in the U.S. that returned something that he bought in a totally different store and was given a refund - this was an article in the Canadian papers when Walmart first announced they were coming to Canada - it was going to be amazing, they said. Nothing like it, they said. Man, how times have changed. LOL
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2005
2190 posts
797 upvotes
SW Ontario
ferkel wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 6:33 pm
Price matching to be stopped soon too.. US Walmart’s don’t do pm
they have an app that does it automatically - Savings Catcher - I use it every time I go over to shop - upload the receipt, and get the results a few days later - I wish they had that here, it is so much easier!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
6254 posts
3846 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Don’t / Won’t Shop at Walmart
But printed flyers @ Retailers do seem to be going the way of the dodo bird in 2 stages

Stage 1 - Stop Delivering them to homes
Stage 2 - Stop Printing them / distributing them in store

I totally understand Stage 1.
Going onto a website such as Flipp accomplishes what a mail out did for a lot less money... and programs like Flipp Offer so many other functions (search, save to list, compare shop etc)

Eliminating them in store is a lot more risky / complicated
Cause for some folks it is how they shop
Pick up the flyer at the door, and browse what’s on sale
Make purchases based on what’s featured in the flyer

These are often the spontaneous buyers... those that don’t come with a list

Even folks who are plugged into using apps & tech
Sometimes don’t want to walk around the store constantly plugged into their phones

This is us.

We use Flipp for research, and make a list
But once in store we want to be engaged with the store... not our phone so much
The paper flyer does that for us

Guessing we are not alone
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2004
3701 posts
537 upvotes
Wat
lennyandcarl wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 6:12 pm
How so? Where are you shopping that has better prices?

They're the place to get the cheapest stuff in Canada. Not necessarily the best value, but definitely the cheapest! (As long as we're talking National retailers selling new goods and not liquidation places etc).

You might find better deals elsewhere in individual items but Walmart is unfortunately the closest to a one-stop bargain solution that we have.

They do definitely place with their pricing and whatnot, but what store does not?!?
Read my post #19
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1691 posts
512 upvotes
B.C.
Wiseman wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 10:24 pm
Read my post #19
So yeah, seems like you're mostly talking groceries.

Walmart sucks for groceries other than dry groceries.
Mar 13, 2004
202 posts
55 upvotes
Aldergrove
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 5:10 pm
Not everyone likes to turn on a computer to check the flyers. And before you say cell phones, blah, blah, blah... not everyone has a smartphone. Older individuals (my grand parents and father being examples) still use flip phones, my grand parents have large buttons to make it easier to dial. These phones don't have internet browser support. Mother had a Galaxy s5 and doesn't use it for flyers because the screen is too small but is now using the ipad I got her. My grand parents have a 10 year old computer that still has a CRT monitor, I have offered to upgrade it for them but it still works and thats all they care about. They have a tablet but dont use it for anything.

My parents and grand parents browse the flyers and plan shopping based around it. They know which stores have the produce that lasts the longest (walmart/no frills seems to go off quicker), meat that tastes the best (Safeway seems to have the best but most expensive), when to shop for marked down for last day sales (RCSS has this is spades). If RCSS has a sale on 5 or 6 things they want, they will go when they figure the best time to get last day items are. They base their shopping on the flyers.

I think walmart just banks on the fact that everyone goes there anyway and the majority of their shoppers won't care. I think this will hit their rural stores a lot harder than they planned. Stores like Napanee, Smiths Falls, Renfrew, Brockville, Leamington, Cobourg... where there are a few competitions that are still using flyers will see those non-tech savvy shoppers following the flyer sales, if you have to drive more than 15 minutes you need a reason to load up the vehicle. Stores in Toronto, Ottawa and other urban areas won't really see a change as shoppers in urban areas have pretty set shopping patterns as everything is readily available. Stores with bulk shoppers will be interesting... Areas like Thunder Bay, Timmons, Dryden, Sault Ste Marie where shoppers make 1 trip every week or two too stock up, those shoppers are buying $1000's of dollars at once. Will they save a buck or five shopping flyers or will they just take the path of least resistance...
Well said
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
18901 posts
1328 upvotes
I don't know if people recall, when Walmart originally came to Canada, they had no flyers either. They don't use them in the US, and their marketing at the time (and still is) was very centered on them *always* having the lowest price - Walmart does not have sales - so why would they need flyers?

However, in the Canadian market we were so conditioned to read our weekly flyers and pick out where to go shopping based on what was "on sale". Net result? About 6 months after coming to Canada, Walmart starts printing flyers. They still don't ACTUALLY have sales, but they advertise certain items *as if* they're on sale.

This is still the case today. Nothing in a Walmart flyer is on sale. Its the regular price. Yes, the prices change from time to time, but Walmart does not do weekly sales. You don't need a flyer for Walmart unless it is to keep tabs on new items being offered they didn't have before.
To be nobody but yourself - in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else - means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting. -- E. E. Cummings
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11979 posts
1745 upvotes
City of Vancouver
^ I believe u r wayyyyyyyyyyyyy wrong.
De gustibus non est disputandum