[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2307 posts
1278 upvotes
The NORTH
brunes wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 9:02 pm
I don't know if people recall, when Walmart originally came to Canada, they had no flyers either. They don't use them in the US, and their marketing at the time (and still is) was very centered on them *always* having the lowest price - Walmart does not have sales - so why would they need flyers?

However, in the Canadian market we were so conditioned to read our weekly flyers and pick out where to go shopping based on what was "on sale". Net result? About 6 months after coming to Canada, Walmart starts printing flyers. They still don't ACTUALLY have sales, but they advertise certain items *as if* they're on sale.

This is still the case today. Nothing in a Walmart flyer is on sale. Its the regular price. Yes, the prices change from time to time, but Walmart does not do weekly sales. You don't need a flyer for Walmart unless it is to keep tabs on new items being offered they didn't have before.
This isn't entirely true. walmart has rollbacks that are temporary price changes. I believe if the rollback lasts a certain time frame it becomes the new price. Look at the TP that is on rollback for a week at a time on the front of every walmart flyer, cottonelle one week, charmine the next... same with chips, if its superbowel the chips are on rollback for a week then back to regular price.

This week I remember that their VH Sauces are on 2 for 5 dollars with a regular price of $3.xx and yet I can always pick them up at Metro or RCSS on sale for $2 - $2.50, i realize this is one item but its the one i remember for this week but I have found as a stay at home dad and shopping for a family of 5 that walmart regular prices are rarely ever better than sales at other stores. taking the sales out of the equation, walmart is pennies less on maybe half my shopping list. Not the shining beacon that their marketing makes them out to be.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1691 posts
512 upvotes
B.C.
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 9:49 pm
This isn't entirely true. walmart has rollbacks that are temporary price changes. I believe if the rollback lasts a certain time frame it becomes the new price. Look at the TP that is on rollback for a week at a time on the front of every walmart flyer, cottonelle one week, charmine the next... same with chips, if its superbowel the chips are on rollback for a week then back to regular price.

This week I remember that their VH Sauces are on 2 for 5 dollars with a regular price of $3.xx and yet I can always pick them up at Metro or RCSS on sale for $2 - $2.50, i realize this is one item but its the one i remember for this week but I have found as a stay at home dad and shopping for a family of 5 that walmart regular prices are rarely ever better than sales at other stores. taking the sales out of the equation, walmart is pennies less on maybe half my shopping list. Not the shining beacon that their marketing makes them out to be.
Walmart has sales.

They started a marketing campaign a while back to differentiate rollbacks from sales. Rollbacks are red and sales are Yellow. They have both kinds of signage in store.

I can't remember the exact wording but Rollbacks can last longer than weekly sale items (ie they'll remain at the lower price longer than they're featured in the flyer) and sale items are for one week or two depending on the flyer.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1691 posts
512 upvotes
B.C.
brunes wrote:
Sep 19th, 2018 9:02 pm
However, in the Canadian market we were so conditioned to read our weekly flyers and pick out where to go shopping based on what was "on sale".
Well said. Canadians really like the Canadian Tire pricing model.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5461 posts
1259 upvotes
Montreal
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 5:10 pm
Not everyone likes to turn on a computer to check the flyers. And before you say cell phones, blah, blah, blah... not everyone has a smartphone. Older individuals (my grand parents and father being examples) still use flip phones, my grand parents have large buttons to make it easier to dial. These phones don't have internet browser support. Mother had a Galaxy s5 and doesn't use it for flyers because the screen is too small but is now using the ipad I got her. My grand parents have a 10 year old computer that still has a CRT monitor, I have offered to upgrade it for them but it still works and thats all they care about. They have a tablet but dont use it for anything.
I think a lot of has to with old habits. My father-in-law is tech savvy, works in IT, has several PCs and tablets at home but still loves to go through his flyers every week. Hell, I'm 35 and a techie yet I still enjoy reading a physical newspaper. I've made the switch over to digital flyers for convenience, though.
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
10898 posts
915 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
kr0zet wrote:
Sep 18th, 2018 5:10 pm
My grand parents have a 10 year old computer that still has a CRT monitor, I have offered to upgrade it for them but it still works and thats all they care about. They have a tablet but dont use it for anything.
You should tell them that modern LCDs are better for their eyes, as well as using less electricity, and just get them one.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11979 posts
1745 upvotes
City of Vancouver
My Walmart hasn't had flyers instore for many, many weeks. Thanks OP for giving me the heads up!
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Fanatic
Jun 19, 2001
7499 posts
1197 upvotes
I like the flyers, excpet the Post owned paper that has most of them has only been delivered twice in over 4 months. "Sorry we dont have a carrier but we are looking for one"
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15591 posts
3392 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart is super cheap, providing flyers is a basic. They are making a killing charging 5 cents per bag, but can't keep flyers?
Sep 26, 2011
85 posts
43 upvotes
zoro69 wrote:
Nov 8th, 2018 4:06 pm
I like the flyers, excpet the Post owned paper that has most of them has only been delivered twice in over 4 months. "Sorry we dont have a carrier but we are looking for one"
Wow, the same BS I've experienced with a Torstar owned "community" weekly!
Glad, although not really, to discover I wasn't the only one being told that lame circulation excuse.