Walmart enforced security searches of customer

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 5th, 2019 8:00 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7063 posts
3376 upvotes

Walmart enforced security searches of customer

Im surprised nobody mentioned this - in the past 2 months Walmart decided to have a mandatory check of receipts against all visible merchandise carried out of the store by the customer. I find this very inconvenient. I thought Costco was bad but now they even waste my time by trying to check for the cheapest of items like 1 $5 cake. They even went as far as hiring outside security for these checks.

What are your thoughts of this?
67 replies
Mar 26, 2012
461 posts
362 upvotes
If Costco checks every customers, walmart can definitely check its customers at random. Just imagine that a customer walks out with a big 60" TV without paying?

I go to my nearby walmart a few times a week in the past few years, primarily for the mcdonald coffee, or to pick up a few grocery items (milk, banana, grapes, etc), I have been asked at most 3 times for receipts by the security guard at the door,
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2006
3067 posts
1220 upvotes
And they should! Just 2 weeks ago my mom went to pick up her medications and she wanted to buy a few extra things and the pharmacist never rang them through. So when she exited the store she got searched. The Walmart employee wanted the receipt for all her items but she only has the one for her medications. She couldn't explain to the employee or anything Si Ce she can't speak English. I imagine that was super embarrassing.... Stupid pharmacist.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2015
2463 posts
1401 upvotes
I guess if you refuse, and they don't have cause to arrest you, they could still ban you from their premises.

With Costco, pretty sure the right of search is embedded right into the "membership" contract you sign with them.

So you have the right to refuse a search. They have the right to prohibit you from their premises in the future. Its a game you only get to play once if you want to play it...
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19536 posts
2260 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
They did that do me when I walked out with a bag of treats and a window fan. Took less than 10!seconds but it still makes you feel like a piece of crap their though.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2006
1252 posts
1871 upvotes
@home
Costco is allowed to do it because you signed that agreement when you bought your membership.

Wal-Mart greeters or G4S security are technically arresting (taking away a person's freedom to move either physically or otherwise). There are laws against this, but the cops will laugh at you, but the criminal code and charter of rights and freedoms also protects you.

You can say no to them checking receipts, it's not a requirement and is technically illegal, but it's a grey area.

If you submit, show receipt and depart, you agreed willingly and the liability decreases.

If you don't do it, the worst thing they can do is tell you not to come back or trespass you.

This can be avoided by them just placing stickers on large paid out of bag items. They do it when you walk in with a return, but not when you leave.

Just a polite "no thank you" and walk away mostly works if you have an issue with being checked. Hands off policy usually applies and they will just document it in their notebooks or binders.

I mean, the greeter is making like 14.75$ an hour and G4S guard isn't that far off either. They usually hate their job and get the shit end of a garbage store policy.
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
27438 posts
6807 upvotes
Nothing in Costco's membership agreement forces you to stop and have your receipt checked. You can say no and there's nothing they can do. If they attempt to stop you or detain you in any way, they are committing a criminal offence.

The same applies to Walmart. Them stopping you and asking you for your receipt isn't an arrest or detention whatsoever. You have the right to say no and keep on walking. At that point, they can ban you from the store, but that's all they can do. They can't interfere with your ability to leave the store. If they do, call the cops.

I personally let Costco check my receipt because I knew they did that when I got my membership.

I'd have more of an issue with it at Walmart though. I've never seen them do that before, not to mention I could have 50+ things in my cart, all in bags. It's not realistic to verify all that. If I come across that at Walmart, I might refuse and just not go back. I rarely shop at Walmart anyway
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2016
1808 posts
530 upvotes
I got checked at Walmart when I bought an edge trimmer. It comes in a big box, roughly 6inx6inx4ft. I paid at the staffed cash (this was long before the switch to mostly self-checkout), and was at the lane closest to the exit. While I was paying I saw the greeter looking at me, and he saw me pay for it, and still he asked to see the receipt as I left. It was the only thing I bought. It was mid-morning on a weekday though, so I guess everyone was bored and felt they had to do something.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
I'm kind of surprised this is a new issue for people, they have been doing it in Niagara for at least a year if not longer. Personally it doesn't bother me at all, but smeh. You could always just not shop at Walmart I suppose.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
I choose not to pick this particular battle. It's a formality. They've never actually looked through my bags, just a quick glance and then I'm on my way. At most, it's added 20 seconds to my shopping trip. There are bigger things to get upset about - like Walmart's self-checkout not accepting cash and the fact that I don't remember the last time I've seen more than 2 lanes open.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
3109 posts
2309 upvotes
London
badOne wrote: Im surprised nobody mentioned this
Read the shopping forum.
There are 2 big threads about this topic.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2010
15196 posts
5016 upvotes
Here 'n There
badOne wrote: Im surprised nobody mentioned this - in the past 2 months Walmart decided to have a mandatory check of receipts against all visible merchandise carried out of the store by the customer. I find this very inconvenient. I thought Costco was bad but now they even waste my time by trying to check for the cheapest of items like 1 $5 cake. They even went as far as hiring outside security for these checks.

What are your thoughts of this?
FANTASTIC IDEA! ABOUT TIME! Shoplifters only increase the cost for the rest of us who actually pay for what we take out of the store.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
Shaner wrote: Nothing in Costco's membership agreement forces you to stop and have your receipt checked. You can say no and there's nothing they can do. If they attempt to stop you or detain you in any way, they are committing a criminal offence.
No, they can cancel your membership without refund and ban you from the stores. Costco says "It is standard practice at all our warehouse locations to verify purchase receipts when members exit our buildings" and therefore submitting to a receipt check is part of your obligations as a member. @angryaudifanatic? School this boy.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6324 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
There was a article few days back. Here it is.
Security expert calls out Costco and other retailers on bag searches
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british- ... -1.5185488

Grey area

Other lawyers say the rules aren't that clear.

Josh Paterson, executive director of the B.C. Civil Liberties Association, agrees that security guards' power to search are limited. But Paterson says whether a security guard is acting on behalf of the state depends on the circumstances under which they were hired.

For example, security guards hired to open your bag at a folk festival or hired for a wedding because it's part of the venue's requirements may not fit that category.

Paterson also points out that security guards may search a person if they have their permission.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Expert
Feb 29, 2008
30106 posts
5547 upvotes
Montreal
lecale wrote: No, they can cancel your membership without refund and ban you from the stores. Costco says "It is standard practice at all our warehouse locations to verify purchase receipts when members exit our buildings" and therefore submitting to a receipt check is part of your obligations as a member. @angryaudifanatic? School this boy.

However, they don't actually check your bags. They just sniff around around your cart, look at your receipt and let you go. It seems Walmart was actually rifling through people bags.
Deal Expert
Jun 9, 2003
25310 posts
2536 upvotes
Markham, ON
....walmart at STC been doing it for decade...just a sign of times.

If i don't have to pay for other ppl shoplifting...im all for it.
Sep 26, 2006
769 posts
298 upvotes
I got stopped at the Walmart in STC. I refused, she then showed me a sign saying something about checking the receipt. So I thought what the hell, gave her my receipt. She looks at it and said I can go. I got pissed because if you are going to check my receipt, you should also check my bag to confirm. I told her to check my bag to confirm everything is on the receipt because she just wasted my time.

She said she doesn't need to check my bag. Told her what if I took something and didn't pay for it? She tells me that there's cameras to show that I didn't pay. Now I'm really pissed. Told her if you have cameras showing me that I didn't pay for something, then why are you wasting time checking my receipt? She just tells me it's store policy to check the receipt. I turned around and just left. Doesn't make sense at all.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7063 posts
3376 upvotes
OntEdTchr wrote: I choose not to pick this particular battle. It's a formality. They've never actually looked through my bags, just a quick glance and then I'm on my way. At most, it's added 20 seconds to my shopping trip. There are bigger things to get upset about - like Walmart's self-checkout not accepting cash and the fact that I don't remember the last time I've seen more than 2 lanes open.
They don't have legal authority to check your closed bags/purses. They are instructed not to ask, and even if they asked I would refuse.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12993 posts
8360 upvotes
mr_raider wrote: However, they don't actually check your bags. They just sniff around around your cart, look at your receipt and let you go. It seems Walmart was actually rifling through people bags.
I don't know, people are complaining about receipt checks not bag checks. I set off the alarm twice recently picking up online orders and both times they asked to see my receipt but not check my bags.
Apr 26, 2004
612 posts
12 upvotes
I'm all for checking receipts if you did not steal, you have nothing to worry about.
With all the theft going on and employees can't do anything about it like LCBO, then cost to honest patrons will continue to rise.
Companies are just trying to watch there bottom line and protect consumers in the big picture..
I am but a Humble servant to my own Mind.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)