Walmart Exchange policy?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 17th, 2018 8:07 pm
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
219 posts
139 upvotes

Walmart Exchange policy?

Hi RFD's I purchased my wife a Google Home + Home Mini for a surprise Birthday gift. Short story is it's not for her/us as we don't have much home automation (didn't think ahead) and now we wanted to exchange it for other merchandise. Problem is...

1: As I placed it in a gift bag my children decided to play hide and seek with the Walmart bag/receipt after I thought I placed it in a good spot unable to be snatched and for the life of me I can't even find it.

2: I paid with cash (double checked my banking history just in case) and now I can't track it even if wanted to.

3: tried contacting Walmart locally at 9 and no one answered the phone in customer service.

Any ideas what their policy is? I do not want to return it, I want to exchange it for equal amount of product ex: 200+$ of pillows lol or whatever she wants.
11 replies
[OP]
Jun 1, 2017
219 posts
139 upvotes
Paigne wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 12:57 am
Unless you have some sort of proof, it will be like a no receipt exchange.

US site about that

http://help.walmart.com/app/answers/det ... res-policy

Of course that's US. Canada does not specify so its probably YMMV. Best bet, try finding that receipt again...
Son told me he put it in the garbage bin in his brothers room.... Which is a diaper genie which was just emptied yesterday and thrown down the chute.

So there goes my chance of finding the receipt.

Anyone else have experience with this issue? I googled and most of the responses were 2+ years ago.

Disclaimer: I have been reading those other threads and people keep mentioning the op is a thief or commiting fraud but I am in no way doing that, I made a mistake not keeping the receipt close and would just like a solution before someone flames me.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2565 posts
1410 upvotes
Vancouver
NoPistons wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 3:07 am
Son told me he put it in the garbage bin in his brothers room.... Which is a diaper genie which was just emptied yesterday and thrown down the chute.

So there goes my chance of finding the receipt.

Anyone else have experience with this issue? I googled and most of the responses were 2+ years ago.

Disclaimer: I have been reading those other threads and people keep mentioning the op is a thief or commiting fraud but I am in no way doing that, I made a mistake not keeping the receipt close and would just like a solution before someone flames me.
The problem is no proof makes it kinda tough. You can still try and see if they will help you but its YMMV. If you can remember the time and date, it might help tho probably wont. Also without receipt, the best they will do is their lowest sale price (if they will help), which i believe is $100 for home, $40 for mini.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2007
3245 posts
645 upvotes
It’s going to be ymmv, as many stores won’t return items without a receipt for obvious reasons
Paying cash makes it even more sketch

Stores that have high shrink will tell you to pound sand. The best you can do is like another poster said is a store credit for the current sale price, but most likely would get the lowest “sale” price
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Addict
Aug 2, 2003
2382 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto
With electronics and the item being more than 20$, most likely they won't take it back without receipt.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1555 posts
397 upvotes
B.C.
They should give you store credit for it but who knows what BS excuses they might make up to not accept the return.

I found the stores in Toronto were super sticklers for returns and scrutinized everything. Now I'm in a way smaller city and they're very relaxed about the whole thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2017
2565 posts
1410 upvotes
Vancouver
lennyandcarl wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 11:20 am
They should give you store credit for it but who knows what BS excuses they might make up to not accept the return.

I found the stores in Toronto were super sticklers for returns and scrutinized everything. Now I'm in a way smaller city and they're very relaxed about the whole thing.
In this case, there is no BS excuse. No receipt, no credit card statement, no debit card statement = no proof you bought it there. Hard to just "take your word for it" because that often gets abused and abused pretty badly. If its a WM exclusive product, then you can make a stronger case but Google Home is sold pretty much everywhere...
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2244 posts
1180 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
NoPistons wrote:
Sep 14th, 2018 12:38 am
Any ideas what their policy is? I do not want to return it, I want to exchange it for equal amount of product ex: 200+$ of pillows lol or whatever she wants.
You're completely subject to the manager's discretion. In this case also, you're certainly not in a position to demand, expect or ask for anything if the manager says 'no'.

Based on your post, you have no evidence that you bought it from Walmart, and you certainly don't have any evidence that you even bought it from anywhere. It could be a gift, it could be stolen, you could have purchased it on Kijiji for all they know. It's a very common practice for shoplifters to nick stuff, then 'return' it to the store ("oh, I'll certainly be happy with an exchange, or a gift card..that would be fantastic, and thank you...") so they basically go from stolen goods without any proof of purchase, to 'legitimate' goods with proof of purchase. Other than taking you on your word, how does the manager know you're not trying to do the same thing.

So, if I were you, I would go to the store from where you purchased it, ask (politely) to speak to the manager and explain your situation to them. If the manager says "no", then either pass it on as a gift to someone else, or sell it online.

Good luck.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
11787 posts
1700 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Hey OP, u r using the wrong terminology. U want to do a return and get store credit. There is no "exchange" going on in ur scenario.
De gustibus non est disputandum
"Crazy people will make even sane people crazy."-- Becks
"Never impose on others what you would not choose for yourself."-- Confucius
Deal Expert
Jun 30, 2006
15217 posts
3154 upvotes
Toronto
Walmart is strict with electronics, generally they require a receipt for return. However, very YMMV. You may be able to get store credit.
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2011
2016 posts
871 upvotes
The NORTH
All this assumes that your package is unopened.

Take back the item and return it. The person working the return desk will refuse as you do not have a receipt. Ask to speak with the manager. You will next get a person that is not a manager but supervises the cashiers, a CSM or something. Explain to them that your receipt was lost and you would like a store credit for the unopened item. DO NOT ASK FOR CASH. Asking for cash is a red flag and there is no way you are getting cash back without a receipt anyway. You will be declined by the supervisor. Be polite and courteous but ask for the manager on duty. At this point it really is a crap shoot. The manager will have the discretion of accepting the return or not, if they are having a bad day you might be SOL... Talk to them, be polite and courteous and explain that you know its a stretch for them to return it without the receipt but you would happily accept a gift card (store credit). You should have success with this.

If you've gone this far and are still up against a manager giving you attitude and being rude you can go one more step. On the wall behind the return desk is the photo of the store manager with their picture and phone number. There should also be the phone number and name of a district manager or market manager (the store managers boss). Let the manager know you are going to call the district manager about the unprofessional ism they are showing you in this situation and you need their name and the store number. Call The district/market manager.

I have only done a few returns at walmart but following those steps I have only once had to threaten to call the district manager. The duty manager was being rude and as soon as I started to dial my phone she was able to do the exchange (for a laptop that had a walmart sticker on it).

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)