[Walmart] Fitness equipment clearance YMMV

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 21st, 2019 11:04 am
Jun 26, 2019
81 posts
223 upvotes
aysiphu wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 11:26 pm
You can do full body exercises with free weights whereas cable machines are really only good for isolating body parts. Machines have their place in a workout routine but they're really inefficient at getting you stronger overall.
I have to wonder if this is true or if it's just something people parrot.
Aug 3, 2014
125 posts
266 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
baz5 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 11:28 pm
Neither will the adjustable weights that max out at 50lbs. If I want to just exercise and lift weights the universal is just fine.
50lbs of dumbbells isn't gonna take you far and neither is a Bowflex. Anyone who's actually serious about fitness and getting in shape will either buy a gym membership or invest in an actual home gym (power rack, barbell, cardio equipment, etc.). I'm just saying that a majority of people buying these Bowflex machines do it on an impulse thinking they're gonna turn their lives around then end up selling it on Kijiji months later.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
1915 posts
1848 upvotes
I would guess it depends where you're at in your training and what you're looking to train that day. only you will be able to tell if you get enough resistance to keep going. I prefer a mix of both but in my home I don't want a big machine. some exercises like the deadlift and squat is better with the free weights than a bowflex.. I owned a few bowflex and they are terrible you could get a resistance bands or even a machine that has real weights its a lot better.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
5244 posts
905 upvotes
aysiphu wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 11:40 pm
50lbs of dumbbells isn't gonna take you far and neither is a Bowflex. Anyone who's actually serious about fitness and getting in shape will either buy a gym membership or invest in an actual home gym (power rack, barbell, cardio equipment, etc.). I'm just saying that a majority of people buying these Bowflex machines do it on an impulse thinking they're gonna turn their lives around then end up selling it on Kijiji months later.
I agree but just to have something at home when you don't want to go to the gym or someone just looking to stay in shape it is fine. But yes, like most home exercise equipment it won't get used. I mean for someone that actually does though. I wouldn't use it just on it's own but say a day I don't go to gym or use free weight and don't feel like pushing myself, it does the job.
May 13, 2015
391 posts
402 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
dumbbells are great, but the main limitation is you can't really work out your legs well with them. there really aren't many good substitutes for squatting with a barbell in a power rack.

the big three exercises are: bench press, deadlift, and squat. to do those safely, you need an olympic barbell, olympic plates, bench, and a rack.
[OP]
Jul 5, 2018
222 posts
817 upvotes
Let me give my 2 cents on this all.
Machines can help develop strength and muscle over time. They can also get you sweating. It depends on how you use them.

So what's the catch?

You often are working in an unnatural position, or it doesn't use your stabilizers as much. For example if you use a smith machine for a squat it's a fixed line of movement. You don't get as much of a benefit in your core from balancing it, also the movement isn't quite as natural. So you may compromise your form. Ultimately it doesn't transfer quite as well to everyday use. But you can still get stronger from it and overall more healthy. That's leaps and bounds better than doing nothing.

So what about an adjustable 50 lb dumbbell set? Will you outgrow it fast?

It depends on what type of exercises you're doing. If you're doing dumbell bench presses, or leg work they won't last you as long as many other exercises.

I used to do a lot of sports and training and started having chronic pain close to my left knee for a while after heavy workouts. To be safe I decided to put down the barbell for deadlifts and squats for a while and found as much unilateral work as I could to address muscle imbalances. I used a lot more dumbells (they were often heavier than 50's but I was an experienced lifter)
Pistol squats to start. I later added dumbell to this.
Single legged deadlifts.

I moved to other things such as Turkish get ups, dumbell snatches, etc.

I experimented with a lot of exercises and found I was a stronger lifter after as I fixed a lot of weaknesses and imbalances I had. Also it probably gave me extra recovery time.

That being said a lot of these exercises I wouldn't recommend for a new lifter. But when people want to use equipment enough they can find ways to make it challenging.

Frankly though for someone without a lot of experience a 50lb set is great to build some functional strength. It's worth every penny to get to a healthier stage. In general I prefer free weights. If you find you've outgrown them then that's fine to. It means you pushed yourself and got stronger. So you know that any further investment you make will show a return. So it's much easier to justify a larger set knowing this.

But even machines can have a benefit if you're serious about exercising. In fact there are a few exercises where a machine can have an advantage. Such as ones where you need to push downwards, push forwards while standing, etc.

If you can't haul yourself into a gym regularly or are just trying to save money then choose what works for you and will get you pushing yourself. Any exercise I'd better than making excuses such as it's snowing and not going to workout at all.

Set a big goal, and many small intermediate goals along the way. Stick to it. Don't let people get you down. The saying goes "The journey of a thousand miles begins with one step". You'll grow and become healthier as you go along.
Sep 21, 2008
440 posts
370 upvotes
Does anybody know of a fitness machine that can help me lose my 644 lbs of extra fat while I eat chicken skin? I'm willing to assume a sitting position while doing so (usually just laying in bed for fear of injury via movement)

Maybe on clearance?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
1915 posts
1848 upvotes
buriboi wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 12:34 am
Does anybody know of a fitness machine that can help me lose my 644 lbs of extra fat while I eat chicken skin? I'm willing to assume a sitting position while doing so (usually just laying in bed for fear of injury via movement)

Maybe on clearance?
a very heavy duty recumbent bike maybe it's almost laying down!
Nov 19, 2005
278 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
buriboi wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 12:34 am

Maybe on clearance?
Not on clearance, but this is a trusted brand that's guaranteed to help you lose those extra pounds in a flash!

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/Zwilling-J ... YKCBEYW0QT

You'll also be able to take advantage of the sweet Canadian medicare system that our American neighbours are so jealous of right after, it's a two for one!
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2016
1915 posts
1848 upvotes
seafish wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 10:23 pm
Bowflex SelectTech 560 Adjustable Dumbbells, $349 (reg. $599)
I believe it only comes with 1 dumbbell as well as it says assembled weight 60 pounds quantity 1. too bad I guess.

actually that 3dt screen only shows up on one dumbbell doubt it can be sold separately I guess ill see when I get it.
Oct 12, 2009
21 posts
5 upvotes
ontario
My opinion on this is that the adjustable dumbbells and maybe that dipping tower (never tried it but in terms of price for that kind of height it seems reasonable) are the only bowflex products worth getting.
Dec 1, 2018
262 posts
241 upvotes
Some of us are ok with the bow flex physqiue
Deal Addict
Jan 17, 2009
1344 posts
1125 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
If you guys want to build a home gym just buy used equipment in February. Squat rack, and weights etc. Don't buy bowflex, you'll regret it.
Biscayne05 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 9:32 pm
Im looking for a rowing machine. Canadian Tire has the NordicTrack ones going on sale once in a while for $500.

I'm looking for an alternate cardio machine indoors as I'm a cyclist
If you're getting a rowing machine there's really no better option other than the Concept2. Look at how well they hold their value it's insane. You could buy it brand new, use it for a year and sell it for almost what you paid. A couple places have it on sale every now and then. It's more expensive but it's quality and will last forever with very minor maintenance.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4480 posts
2703 upvotes
Hamilton, ON
waven101 wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 4:03 am
I believe it only comes with 1 dumbbell as well as it says assembled weight 60 pounds quantity 1. too bad I guess.

actually that 3dt screen only shows up on one dumbbell doubt it can be sold separately I guess ill see when I get it.
I think it's that pair that you're getting.
Apr 10, 2017
811 posts
269 upvotes
Ecsta wrote:
Sep 9th, 2019 9:00 am
If you guys want to build a home gym just buy used equipment in February. Squat rack, and weights etc. Don't buy bowflex, you'll regret it.
If you're getting a rowing machine there's really no better option other than the Concept2. Look at how well they hold their value it's insane. You could buy it brand new, use it for a year and sell it for almost what you paid. A couple places have it on sale every now and then. It's more expensive but it's quality and will last forever with very minor maintenance.
That's my problem, everytime I check used ones they're still close to retail. It's a lot of money to drop on a piece of equipment especially when I'm involved with an expensive sport.

I'll keep on checking