Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Hisense 55H9908 55" H9908 ULED (Like QLED) [Android TV, 120Hz, Wide Gamut, Dolby Vision] - $498 [HOT!], $479 [REFURB]

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 19th, 2020 2:07 am
Jul 21, 2011
77 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Yeah can't compare the two, 4K is a just an entirely different beast.
True, but apparently when I cast there is no option to select 4k as resolution, so I don't even know if the embedded chromecast is 4k supportable.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47374 posts
5305 upvotes
Toronto
batman2002 wrote: True, but apparently when I cast there is no option to select 4k as resolution, so I don't even know if the embedded chromecast is 4k supportable.
Try playing the same content, Chromecast a 4K youtube video onto the TV and use the YouTube app on the TV for the same video to see if there is lag.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2018
12848 posts
13585 upvotes
4K YouTube is 4 to 6 times the bit-rate folks.

It's no joke, and if I'm honest, all Chromecast devices so far have been mild garbage for quality mirroring.

We'll get there in future releases.

I just want to make sure folks are getting fairly smooth playback from 4k YouTube on Android TV.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47374 posts
5305 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote: 4K YouTube is 4 to 6 times the bit-rate folks.

It's no joke, and if I'm honest, all Chromecast devices so far have been mild garbage for quality mirroring.

We'll get there in future releases.

I just want to make sure folks are getting fairly smooth playback from 4k YouTube on Android TV.
Best results for consistently smooth 4K playback is hooking up a laptop or PC with an HDMI to the TV using it like a second monitor (your PC/Laptop has to be fast enough to run 4K content though lol). That's of course if the Roku OS on the TV isn't good enough, even at that maybe the Amazon Fire Stick TV 4K might be the viable option over the the PC/Laptop HDMI.
Jul 21, 2011
77 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Try playing the same content, Chromecast a 4K youtube video onto the TV and use the YouTube app on the TV for the same video to see if there is lag.
I tried, the YouTube app with 4k on the TV directly also doesn't seem to be smooth, it plays without chopped frames, but just doesn't appear as smooth as my laptop. For example try this clip from Avengers.
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47374 posts
5305 upvotes
Toronto
batman2002 wrote: I tried, the YouTube app with 4k on the TV directly also doesn't seem to be smooth, it plays without chopped frames, but just doesn't appear as smooth as my laptop. For example try this clip from Avengers.
Have you changed the settings or are you just using it out of the box? Have you tried changing the motion interpolation settings? Lag to you could mean motion blur, which is based on the TV's settings..
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2004
1119 posts
356 upvotes
Victoria
Well phone support this morning, they will send me a USB stick with the updates or send a technician to address my WiFi issue, hoping for the best
A successful man is one who makes more money than his wife can spend. A successful woman is one who can find such a man.
Jul 21, 2011
77 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Have you changed the settings or are you just using it out of the box? Have you tried changing the motion interpolation settings? Lag to you could mean motion blur, which is based on the TV's settings..
Yep, tried all the available motion enhancement options...
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47374 posts
5305 upvotes
Toronto
batman2002 wrote: Yep, tried all the available motion enhancement options...
Are you connected through wifi? Is the wifi connection excellent?

So what you're saying in the previous post is that it doesn't lag but it's not as smooth as your laptop? What model is your laptop? I doubt it has a 120Hz monitor, even at that the youtube video doesn't output 120 fps for a 120Hz screen to take advantage of..

I think you read a bad review and have the placebo effect of it not being smooth lol.

It has to be your motion interpolation settings..
Jul 21, 2011
77 posts
28 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote: Are you connected through wifi? Is the wifi connection excellent?

So what you're saying in the previous post is that it doesn't lag but it's not as smooth as your laptop? What model is your laptop? I doubt it has a 120Hz monitor, even at that the youtube video doesn't output 120 fps for a 120Hz screen to take advantage of..

I think you read a bad review and have the placebo effect of it not being smooth lol.

It has to be your motion interpolation settings..
I'm pretty sure its not a placebo effect...but to each their own. Apps like CBC looks great tho
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
47374 posts
5305 upvotes
Toronto
batman2002 wrote: I'm pretty sure its not a placebo effect...but to each their own. Apps like CBC looks great tho
Try Netflix on the Roku app, see if there's stuttering there while viewing 4K content. CBC doesn't do 4K so maybe it's 4K content that's causing the lag. Also pause the video for a good minute on Netflix before you play it, let it buffer a bit.. Can weed out if it's your internet or whatever..

Edit: Didn't state the obvious, have you tried restarting the TV? In the settings, not by turning it off and on. If yes then maybe consider a factory reset.
Jul 13, 2017
15 posts
11 upvotes
Toronto
Jimboski wrote:
Have you changed the settings or are you just using it out of the box? Have you tried changing the motion interpolation settings? Lag to you could mean motion blur, which is based on the TV's settings..
If it is not a software or wifi problem, I may have a fix. I found lots of stuttering/image lag during fast moving scenes even with motion enhancement turned off and on every source possible (chrome cast, Blu Ray player, etc).
After selecting the ‘custom’ option in motion enhancement and setting the Judder Enhancement to zero, it seems to have drastically reduced the choppiness.