• Last Updated:
  • Apr 29th, 2019 9:14 am
[OP]
Jul 25, 2015
322 posts
121 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

[Walmart] Honeywell RTH9580WF Smart Wi-Fi Colour Touchscreen 7-Day $120

I was looking to get this wifi thermostat but has been OOS for a while. It's back now as available on line. It's the older version but for a wifi it's a pretty good deal.

Control from Anywhere
- Free via iPhone, iPad, Android and computer
- No monthly service fee
• Fully Flexible Programming Options

I have researched it and the reviews are mixed. It works with an aux heating as well, if the wire is present, the aux menu appears. Needs C wire. It looks good and can be controlled from the app.
Still it's not nest or ecobee but price wise is half of you pay for those above. I had a free $20 online voucher and it brought the price down to $100 plus tax for BC came to $112 all in with free shipping.
Last edited by Piklishi on Apr 5th, 2019 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
26 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1309 posts
332 upvotes
Wow, that's a really good price. I paid a lot more for mine a few years ago. It's worked just fine for me ever since, even integrates with Google Home. To get the most out of it you do need to program it so that it knows when to heat your home and when not to. It's not smart enough to figure that out on its own. If you're home when it doesn't expect you to be, it's pretty easy to override the schedule with your phone or from the screen.

My only complaint is that the touch screen isn't very good. Sometimes you have to press it a couple of times to get it to work. Having said that, I rarely use the touch screen because I either pull out my phone or ask Google to adjust the temperature.
Deal Addict
Jul 5, 2010
1979 posts
492 upvotes
Looks like this also works with Alexa.
Apr 25, 2005
730 posts
177 upvotes
I doubt this is going to ship. I had ordered the same item for the same price in November 2017 and it never shipped.
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
2068 posts
2141 upvotes
Would this work with Smartthings?
I want the Nest but for $200 less, ill take this.
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.
Nov 23, 2010
924 posts
295 upvotes
Toronto
Very good deal for a good thermostat

I switched to an Ecobee since there was GreenON giving it away for free, otherwise I was perfectly happy with this thermostat

Though I found the scheduling to be a tad unintuitive since there was only 4 preset periods that i could schedule around, at least when I had it
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2005
1309 posts
332 upvotes
NavieM wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 1:10 am
Would this work with Smartthings?
I want the Nest but for $200 less, ill take this.
Yep, it works with Smartthings. If I remember right it was pretty limited though -- you could change the temperature and nothing else. If you want to do any programming you need to use the Honeywell app. Once every month or so it disconnected from Smartthings for a hour or so (not sure why) but for the most part it worked.
Deal Addict
Dec 22, 2005
1135 posts
220 upvotes
Calgary
I have/had one. For a basic wifi it worked well, but I could never get any of the home efficiency reports that Honeywell said it supported. I swapped out for an ecobee 3 lite (with 2 sensors) from Costco ($199-$75= $124 with Alberta rebate). Lots of data available to look at if you are into that stuff, connected to wink, Alexa and IFTTT with no issues. Seems to “balance” the temperature better with the sensors.
7D2B01C2-6EF0-4B6E-9DAA-F62E7711D76A.png
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2005
1226 posts
497 upvotes
Canada's South Coast
Looks to be out of stock now Confused Face
Sep 3, 2014
616 posts
577 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
theshowman wrote:
Apr 6th, 2019 12:23 am
I doubt this is going to ship. I had ordered the same item for the same price in November 2017 and it never shipped.
Shipped.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 31, 2001
7971 posts
464 upvotes
Toronto
I picked up two and have an extra one at cost ($120+ taxes) if anyone needs one. Message me if you want it. Thanks.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
9407 posts
4231 upvotes
We have had this for a couple years now with electric furnace and it works fine no issues but its limited. One thing we miss is this does not provide usage details at all.

It does work great on android phone and alexa with no issues.
I think next year we will switch to eco 3.
ING Direct since the beginning! Tangerine to the end!
Buy first think later!
Dont tell wife!
[OP]
Jul 25, 2015
322 posts
121 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Just got mine. It was a nice surprise to see that I actually received the newer model and not the one that I ordered, but I wont complain. I received the RTH9585, installed it and worked like a charm. I have a heat pump too so I use the aux heat and that worked fine. Still it's not one of the fancy brands but at least I can manage it from the app.
Feb 9, 2011
523 posts
100 upvotes
Piklishi wrote:
Apr 17th, 2019 10:14 pm
Just got mine. It was a nice surprise to see that I actually received the newer model and not the one that I ordered, but I wont complain. I received the RTH9585, installed it and worked like a charm. I have a heat pump too so I use the aux heat and that worked fine. Still it's not one of the fancy brands but at least I can manage it from the app.
Sweet! Fingers crossed as mine shipped today, Hope to get the newer model,