• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 12:33 am
Mar 12, 2012
23 posts
12 upvotes
djredhat wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 3:44 pm
Not if properly vacuum sealed..

(and, yes, you can always go better - illy, etc - but Lavazza is the best bang for your buck, and is the logical choice for 90+% of the espresso drinkers.
Alright, enjoy your budget grocery store beans with your $5000 espresso machine. I suppose you do know more, with the car-coffee comparison and trips to Italy.

Cheers on the lesson on quality coffee, Jimmy.

By the way, coffee beans should never be vacuum sealed. They have a valve that allows the release of gas, since the beans release gas as they age. And yes, coffee beans age.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
1460 posts
579 upvotes
Toronto
Indeed, coffee beans continue offgassing for a long time after being roasted. Even if completely vacuum sealed the flavor will change.
djredhat wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 3:44 pm
There is a reason why America runs on dunkin, and Italy on Lavazza :D
So you're saying Lavazza is the Dunkin Donuts of coffee? I'm not sure if that's a compliment...
Apr 8, 2017
105 posts
27 upvotes
Maple Ridge
Tried Lavazza recently. It was pretty terrible compared to the Costco green bag stuff. Maybe I just didn't have a good bag..
Jun 16, 2009
325 posts
302 upvotes
rmanaudio wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 6:00 pm
I drink a lot of Coffee and Lattes and have a couple of espresso machines (manual and auto) and ive tried them all. Here is all you need to know:

If you want the best bang for buck beans, go to Costco and buy the Costco Kirkland House blend. This is Starbucks House blend. Its cheap and good beans. I know a friend in Costco who knows the source of the beans and they are quality and hasn't changed.
I tried the Kirkland when it was on sale back in the summer, and personally it wasn't up to my taste or my wife's. The Costco Lavazza works for us much better, and goes on sale a few times a year (often close to Christmas). I noticed it was Starbucks roasted which made sense to me since I don't like Starbucks roasted coffee beans, but I decided to try it anyway.

Bottom line is you can get whole bean coffee at better prices, and don't be afraid to try different brands until you find what you like, there is no definitive answer.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Jul 27, 2005
11 posts
See on the package
Lavazza Oro (Arabica 100%) vs
Lavazza Oro (Premium Arabica 100%)
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2662 posts
348 upvotes
Good thread, I just got automatic espresso machine and need to get few samples of different types and see which one I like more. Price is not a problem. Any good coffee roasters in downtown Toronto??
May 17, 2004
263 posts
8 upvotes
Vaughan
BernardRyder wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 7:10 am
I tried the Kirkland when it was on sale back in the summer, and personally it wasn't up to my taste or my wife's. The Costco Lavazza works for us much better, and goes on sale a few times a year (often close to Christmas). I noticed it was Starbucks roasted which made sense to me since I don't like Starbucks roasted coffee beans, but I decided to try it anyway.

Bottom line is you can get whole bean coffee at better prices, and don't be afraid to try different brands until you find what you like, there is no definitive answer.
Did you try the House blend? I don't like Starbucks but the House Blend comes from a good source and its a mild roast. Not too dark that its oily. This blend usually satisfies most people I know and that is why I recommend it. Everyone has different tastes and needs but this blend is one of my favorites and ive tried them all, including local roast that come in a zip lock bag from trips to Costa Rica, Cuba and Mexico.

Lavazza is not that great unless you buy their premium bags but at that price its not worth it.
Jun 16, 2009
325 posts
302 upvotes
rmanaudio wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 9:10 am
Did you try the House blend? I don't like Starbucks but the House Blend comes from a good source and its a mild roast. Not too dark that its oily. This blend usually satisfies most people I know and that is why I recommend it. Everyone has different tastes and needs but this blend is one of my favorites and ive tried them all, including local roast that come in a zip lock bag from trips to Costa Rica, Cuba and Mexico.

Lavazza is not that great unless you buy their premium bags but at that price its not worth it.
Yeah, same one, comes in a green bag. I like Lavazza, even the cheaper stuff (rosso I think?). I don't have an issue what people would prefer, all I know is that the best coffee is what you roast yourself because with time and practice you will find what you like.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Aug 30, 2015
1042 posts
638 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Too bad it's already OOS online
I prefer buying whole bean than pre-ground coffee actually, make a better coffee with whole beans imo
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1622 posts
486 upvotes
SomeGuyNamedBob wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 11:55 pm
So you're saying Lavazza is the Dunkin Donuts of coffee? I'm not sure if that's a compliment...
Dunkin sells "coffee". The logo they have on their coffee cups is (or was) "America runs on dunkin".

What I am saying is that Lavazza is as popular in Italy as is Dunknin in US and TimH in Canada. The overwhelming majority of the cafeterias and bars serve Lavazza espresso. And when it comes to espresso, nobody knows better than the Italians (fyi, espresso is Italian word).

Again, I am not saying that Lavazza is the best brand, but can't beat the price/quality ratio, and is the win-win for the 99% of espresso drinkers.
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1622 posts
486 upvotes
crowds wrote:
Oct 17th, 2017 11:21 pm
Alright, enjoy your budget grocery store beans with your $5000 espresso machine. I suppose you do know more, with the car-coffee comparison and trips to Italy.

Cheers on the lesson on quality coffee, Jimmy.

By the way, coffee beans should never be vacuum sealed. They have a valve that allows the release of gas, since the beans release gas as they age. And yes, coffee beans age.
Sure, for a $5000 espresso machine, you are suggesting not to buy 'grocery store coffee' but some 'freshly roasted' beans that some Chinese corner store is selling at $8/pound?

ROFLMAO, I wish I could add more to my signature, your post just made the top3 of the most ignorant posts on RFD!
iamalittlepepper wrote:
Aug 13th, 2012 2:55 am
Non of the Royal Purple is BMW qualified which voids your drivetrain warranty.. especially for those who owns the 3.0L N54 engine
tcjsqls wrote:
Jan 13th, 2015 12:56 pm
you have no ideas how a report of stolen credit card (...) affect your credit. Happened twice in your history, that bank won't issue a credit card for you
Aug 8, 2007
129 posts
21 upvotes
romsan04 wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 8:20 am
Good thread, I just got automatic espresso machine and need to get few samples of different types and see which one I like more. Price is not a problem. Any good coffee roasters in downtown Toronto??
This is a little bit off topic, perhaps deserves its own thread, but we do have good local roasters and I would also be interested in learning this. De Mello Palheta at Yonge/Castlefield is one of the best I have tried. Personally I have a favourite roaster in every city I am fortunate enough to visit as I seek them out and often bring back nothing but coffee beans when I travel. Some of my favs by City are: Montreal: Saint-Henri; Edmonton: Transcend; Calgary: Phil & Sebastian; New York: Grumpy (special fav.); SFO: Blue Bottle (at least before it was recently acquired by Nestlé); Cambridge: George Howell; Miami: Panther & Eternity (tie); Chicago: Dark Matter (special fav). It is actually easy to get fresh beans from the Alberta roasters in downtown Toronto, not exactly sure why but M Square Coffee in the Sheraton Downtown for example only serves Alberta roasters and also has two Kees van der Westen espresso machines.
[OP]
Feb 9, 2009
656 posts
137 upvotes
Smartchen wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 9:52 pm
Too bad it's already OOS online
I prefer buying whole bean than pre-ground coffee actually, make a better coffee with whole beans imo
Back in stock online .
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2004
2662 posts
348 upvotes
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 11:32 pm
This is a little bit off topic, perhaps deserves its own thread, but we do have good local roasters and I would also be interested in learning this. De Mello Palheta at Yonge/Castlefield is one of the best I have tried. Personally I have a favourite roaster in every city I am fortunate enough to visit as I seek them out and often bring back nothing but coffee beans when I travel. Some of my favs by City are: Montreal: Saint-Henri; Edmonton: Transcend; Calgary: Phil & Sebastian; New York: Grumpy (special fav.); SFO: Blue Bottle (at least before it was recently acquired by Nestlé); Cambridge: George Howell; Miami: Panther & Eternity (tie); Chicago: Dark Matter (special fav). It is actually easy to get fresh beans from the Alberta roasters in downtown Toronto, not exactly sure why but M Square Coffee in the Sheraton Downtown for example only serves Alberta roasters and also has two Kees van der Westen espresso machines.
Thank you, I will try Alberta roasters.
Jun 24, 2012
52 posts
4 upvotes
TORONTO
Some good point of views on this thread regarding local roasters vs brands like Lavazza. I use to buy over priced local roasted beans for something like $15 for 300g. I also frequently buy this same coffee at a local coffee shop and the flavor is so unique. I tired really hard for months to achieve the same flavor profile on my Breville Barista Express at home, I talked to the local roaster for tips, searched forums and watched every you tube video possible, with little success. I'm now convinced that unless you own commercial grade equipment you just cant get the same flavor from an average home setup (this is basically what the local roaster said as well, koodos to him for trying to help me anyways).

Another big problem I have with buying expensive fresh coffee is that I need to re-calibrate my machine every time I open a new bag to adjust for change in freshness, wasting some of my precious 300g.

I now just buy Lavazza and save the money, it still tastes good and I don't stress about achieving that same flavor profile.

Thanks OP