• Nov 15th, 2017 12:33 am
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4032 posts
871 upvotes
Thornhill
djredhat wrote:
Oct 18th, 2017 10:41 pm
Dunkin sells "coffee". The logo they have on their coffee cups is (or was) "America runs on dunkin".

What I am saying is that Lavazza is as popular in Italy as is Dunknin in US and TimH in Canada. The overwhelming majority of the cafeterias and bars serve Lavazza espresso. And when it comes to espresso, nobody knows better than the Italians (fyi, espresso is Italian word).

Again, I am not saying that Lavazza is the best brand, but can't beat the price/quality ratio, and is the win-win for the 99% of espresso drinkers.
My wife and I literally stock up on at least 20 of Lavazza Qualita Rossa 1KG whole bean bags every year when they go on sale. We cannot go back to any other coffee/espresso now because of how much we've taken to this one.

I've not tried the Oro one yet because I actually like the more mellow blend of Robusta and Arabica better. I might pick up a bag or two though just to try!
Sep 25, 2015
205 posts
36 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Chinese grocery store always has the most exotic stuffs, what you talking about.

I also like the Rossa (bean form) it only has something like 30% Arabica, but its has a more mellow flavor profile. Its not the best, but its definitely a couple steps above folgers and Maxwell.
Jul 15, 2013
27 posts
15 upvotes
Stouffville
Can I make a comment/suggestion without getting killed LOL. I am Italian and drink lots of espresso (have a nespresso on my desk to get a semi fix at work) and I buy from these guys for my home machine. They have some nice blends and if you spend $25 order or more on your order the shipping is free. They roast on site and there stuff is fantastic. Not sure how great the price is if your looking for something cost effective, but it is damn good every single time.

http://www.socialcoffee.com/
Deal Fanatic
May 23, 2008
6965 posts
1118 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Snnnnaaaaaaapppeerrrr wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 11:47 am
Can I make a comment/suggestion without getting killed LOL. I am Italian and drink lots of espresso (have a nespresso on my desk to get a semi fix at work) and I buy from these guys for my home machine. They have some nice blends and if you spend $25 order or more on your order the shipping is free. They roast on site and there stuff is fantastic. Not sure how great the price is if your looking for something cost effective, but it is damn good every single time.

http://www.socialcoffee.com/
Would you suggest anything from the site you've linked that's worth trying out in your opinion?
I generally like Lavazza and I also like the Arabica full bean coffees I can buy at the local grocery stores.
Steam: SpectralMeat
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2004
1393 posts
176 upvotes
For those that have tried both, what's the difference between the one in the OP and the Costco one (Creme Y Aroma)? I have a stockpile of the latter in my basement and quite like it in my super automatic espresso machine - but if I'm missing out maybe I need to add to that stockpile.
Aug 8, 2007
129 posts
21 upvotes
Richhy wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 8:47 am
Some good point of views on this thread regarding local roasters vs brands like Lavazza. I use to buy over priced local roasted beans for something like $15 for 300g. I also frequently buy this same coffee at a local coffee shop and the flavor is so unique. I tired really hard for months to achieve the same flavor profile on my Breville Barista Express at home, I talked to the local roaster for tips, searched forums and watched every you tube video possible, with little success. I'm now convinced that unless you own commercial grade equipment you just cant get the same flavor from an average home setup (this is basically what the local roaster said as well, koodos to him for trying to help me anyways).

Another big problem I have with buying expensive fresh coffee is that I need to re-calibrate my machine every time I open a new bag to adjust for change in freshness, wasting some of my precious 300g.

I now just buy Lavazza and save the money, it still tastes good and I don't stress about achieving that same flavor profile.

Thanks OP
I watched a dragons den episode recently where the pitch was for minerals to add to your home water to make it taste more like those in high end coffee shops that have high end filtration systems to optimize the taste of the water for coffee. Makes chemical sense I suppose, water can’t be awful nor totally devoid of natural elements so need the proper balance to be perceived as optimal. I am pretty sure they didn’t get funded as being too expensive/niche a product and somehow I can’t imagine forming an RFD buying group for this. They likely just need another health benefit like a safeguard against Alzheimer’s or dementia for which coffee has already shown some positive benefits in studies.
Nov 10, 2013
143 posts
32 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
I've said it before and I don't see anyone mention it here yet, so
The choice of beans depends on what you make (and your preference and the equipment and water).
If you make drinks with fair amount of milk (or as someone else mentioned here - vanilla and god knows what else), the beans don't matter that much.
The fresh beans are important for espresso though. I personally thought it was bs, but I am now a convert.
I drink coffee many different ways - pour over, Turkish, espresso and all it's variations, even instant (not so much anymore).
I really like 'Social people's daily' for my espresso, but it's not good at all for Turkish.
Jan 5, 2006
955 posts
901 upvotes
is it ok to use it for drip coffee purpose?
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2007
2195 posts
396 upvotes
Kingston
If your Costco stocks it try the Williams Spartivento line of coffee. I've tried a few different ones in their range and they have all been excellent. I travel to Central America every year and bring coffee back from holiday sometimes direct from the coffee growing areas and the Williams stuff is just as good. I see that you can buy it online too. I think it's roasted in Montreal.
Deal Addict
Oct 15, 2015
1097 posts
706 upvotes
Montreal, QC
I just noticed Walmart has subscribe and save 5% off now
the coffee bean is oos btw...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1144 posts
432 upvotes
Montreal, QC
JC69 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 11:36 pm
If your Costco stocks it try the Williams Spartivento line of coffee. I've tried a few different ones in their range and they have all been excellent. I travel to Central America every year and bring coffee back from holiday sometimes direct from the coffee growing areas and the Williams stuff is just as good. I see that you can buy it online too. I think it's roasted in Montreal.
There coffee is pretty good, And the prices are very reasonable. Around Montreal (and surrounding areas, Laval and South shore) most costco's typically always carry 2 of their flavors (espresso and sumatra I believe - may vary by location).
However they often do thier rounds and setup a booth at various costco locations around Quebec, and when they have their booth they have a larger variety available. Schedule with locations and dates is here.
They were at Marche Centrale this week, and I picked up a bag of Espresso Barista and Espresso Corposo. Both are pretty decent. Does not give me any acid reflux, and they are nice blends for espresso and americano's which I drink mostly.
The Costco green bag, which is roasted by charbucks, just kills me, and acid reflux chaos :) Smells great, but I just can't drink it.

There are also quite a few local shops which roast some decent blends, and rarely is there a shortage of decently priced beans.

A while back we used to mail order large quantities for the office and many of us you to pick up a few pounds also for personal use, from GoldStar Coffee out in Toronto. It was always pretty fresh, and the couple of blends we had ordered were pretty good also. Price wasn't too bad either. They have a pretty good variety. Their online pricing is in $USD, so while the dollar was close to par, it was great. When the dollar tanked, we now buy from local roaster instead.

We usually buy 25 to 30 lbs at a time, and comes to $9.50/lbs for a pretty good roast, all biological and fair trade, all Arabica. We usually call in the order, they tell us when the next roast is, and we pick it up 2 or 3 days after roast. We typically ask to have it packed in 1lbs bags, so that way if anyone wants for personal use, they can easily just buy a bag or more and not have to worry about weighing out what they want.
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4032 posts
871 upvotes
Thornhill
ben2003 wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 9:48 pm
is it ok to use it for drip coffee purpose?
Yes, doesn't have to be used for only espresso.
Oct 29, 2016
62 posts
23 upvotes
SpectralMeat wrote:
Oct 19th, 2017 12:00 pm
Would you suggest anything from the site you've linked that's worth trying out in your opinion?
I generally like Lavazza and I also like the Arabica full bean coffees I can buy at the local grocery stores.
My go to there is People's daily for a good balanced chocolate caramel espresso.

The ARDI sun dried is a nice treat with lots of berries and fruity acidity on the pallet too.
Jul 15, 2013
27 posts
15 upvotes
Stouffville
User381589 wrote:
Oct 20th, 2017 10:07 am
My go to there is People's daily for a good balanced chocolate caramel espresso.

The ARDI sun dried is a nice treat with lots of berries and fruity acidity on the pallet too.
Agreed - can't go wrong with People's Daily. That is on auto order in our home.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3082 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
https://www.londondrugs.com/search/?q=c ... ZZA%7CILLY

In Western Canada, London Drugs has the ground 250g version of Lavazza Qualita Rossa and Lavazza Crema e Gusto on sale for $3.99 (reg 6.99)

They also have several Illy coffee's on sale.

Illy Blend Ground Coffee - Medium Roast - 250g $12.99 (reg $16.99)

lly Expresso Ground Coffee - Medium Roast - 250g $11.99 (reg $16.99)

etc

I was curious about Lavazza after reading this thread so I picked up a Qualita Rossa and an Illy Blend Medium Roast as I'd seen the Illy on Amazon for about $32 for a 2 pack and didn't want to buy 2 to try it. Going to brew them in my OXO On drip unit.

Good thread.... thanks!