[Walmart] Lavazza Espresso Oro Whole Beans - 18.97$ / 1Kg Bag

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 15th, 2017 12:33 am
Jan 24, 2009
473 posts
124 upvotes
EYEAM2COOL4U wrote:
Oct 5th, 2017 9:44 am
Make sure the Costco one is 100% arabica. I recall picking one up as the price seemed very good but was surprised to read it wasn't 100% so put it back. I think it was Lavazza but not 100% sure. There was a recent roadshow for Cimo at my Costco and I found their espresso dolce to be particularly good and a medium roast so not as oily for my superautomatic unfortunately it is roadshow only and I did not like the Cimo roast they routinely stock as much as it was a darker roast and too oily.
When working in Turin, I used to shop at the Eataly (amazing concept), where I learned that typical northern Italian espresso was medium roast, and they insisted the best blends had 20% robusta. So don't think that if there are some in your blend, they are cheaping out.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3082 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
randomroyalty wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 10:40 am
When working in Turin, I used to shop at the Eataly (amazing concept), where I learned that typical northern Italian espresso was medium roast, and they insisted the best blends had 20% robusta. So don't think that if there are some in your blend, they are cheaping out.
I walked the Eataly in Chicago last year. Amazing store. I had a coffee there but did not pay attention to the brew and wish I had checked out their coffee stock on the shelf a little closer. Wasn't a priority then.

Aug 8, 2007
129 posts
21 upvotes
randomroyalty wrote:
Oct 21st, 2017 10:40 am
I am a bit embarrassed to say that the Cimo from
Costco that I enjoyed so much had 20% robusta so I feel better after reading your post. I went to another Costco that was also having their roadshow and bought their organic that is 100% Arabica but I haven’t tried it yet (smells very good). I could be wrong but I thought the cheap Lavazza was 100% robusta but I will check again on my next visit but it too could have been an acceptable blend.
Mar 16, 2008
170 posts
91 upvotes
Arviat
Lavazza Whole Beans Crema e Aroma Espresso

A blend with a consistent cream and a strong and decisive character, with a pleasant after taste of dry fruits, bitter cocoa and precious woods that remind you of a fine barrel-aged wine.

Product Features

Taste area: Well balanced
Origins: Natural Arabica from the San Paulo area of Brazil, washed Arabica from Honduras, African Robusta with spicy notes from Uganda

Composition: 60% Robusta - 40% Arabica

Prevalent notes: Dried fruit and precious woods
Body: 5
Aroma: 4
Roasting: Medium
[OP]
Feb 9, 2009
656 posts
137 upvotes
houstondallas wrote:
Oct 23rd, 2017 9:08 pm
1kg bags of various Lavazza or Kimbo beans on sale this week for $10.99 till Thursday at Fortinos in Ontario. First page of the weekly flyer.

https://www.fortinos.ca/print-flyer

https://www.fortinos.ca/Food/Drinks/Cof ... 0129824_EA

houston
Actually, the Lavazza Oro is 21.99$ . Good deal for the Crema e Aroma @14.99 though
Jun 26, 2006
176 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
I have been a coffee geek (espresso) for a long time and I have tried a lot of different beans. Freshness is extremely important however I have found that the 1kg bags of Lavazza (usually the Rossa) are fine as far as freshness in concerned. When selecting a bag I try to find one that is still brick like with very little movement of the beans inside. Sometimes none of the available bags are like this sometimes not.

Also I freeze my coffees (whole bean only) and I find it really helps preserve freshness. Probably a lot of controversy about freezing but it works for me and I'm picky. I even freeze the bags of unopened coffee. I don't dump the frozen beans in my grinder. In fact I never keep any beans in the hopper of my grinder simply because I don't drink enough to warrant leaving the beans sitting around. Instead I measure out the dose I am going to use for the session and let them warm up a bit while the rest of my equipment gets up to the right temp (around 15 to 20 minutes).

Also I mix the Lavazza half and half with a more premium bean when I have them. Sometimes if using a triple basket (my fav) I use 2 scoops Lavazza to 1 scoop premium coffee.

I only use medium to light medium roasts (I would label the Rossa as light medium). For my taste the Costco Green bags (Starbucks) is much too dark and oily. I am a crema seeker and robustas give the most crema which is why they are usually mixed in with espresso blends.

Have not tried the Oro in quite some time (I remember preferring the Rossa to the Oro but it has been a while).

On another note the best coffee I have ever had was Pluma Hidalgo from Oaxaca. For anyone visiting Huatulco or other parts of Oaxaca pick some up to bring home. Brought back 2kgs last trip and everyone I served it to was floored. Reminded me of a batch of Jamaican Blue someone gifted me that they purchased from one of the top estates in Jamaica (there is a lot of fake/2nd tier Jamaican Blue out there). The pluma Hidalgo and this Blue I remember had this chocolate overtone which I just can't get enough of.

As an everyday coffee for those who like a light espresso with good crema the Rossa is pretty good. For $13.50 a kg it's pretty amazing actually.

So much of today's coffee (especially for espresso) is over-roasted (ty Starbucks) so that there is some taste of coffee to cut through the whipped cream, flavored syrups etc). A decent light roast of good espresso would be lost in these concoctions. These roasters basically burn their coffee.
Sep 2, 2014
144 posts
70 upvotes
does costco kirkland house blend “Roasted by Starbucks” the green bag good for espresso? how about the beans? are they 100% arabica? are they oily? can be used on superautomatic espresso machines?
Jun 16, 2009
325 posts
302 upvotes
I'm confused with the Arabica obsession in this thread lately. Arabica is good, but I always took the '100% Arabica' statements as a marketing scam. I've had non-Arabica bean mixes plenty of times and they're still great. Everyone should try different bean types, it is one of the many ways to introduce subtle changes in the coffee's flavor. Besides, it helps move us away from over reliance on one bean type, which is good for the market if/when Arabica crops are affected by issues that reduce yield. Variety is the spice of life.
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2008
4032 posts
871 upvotes
Thornhill
Lots of good informative posts from coffee aficionados here!

An Arabica/Robusta blend is necessary for espresso and or coffee and it's not related to lowering the cost, rather it's due to the combination of stronger coffee flavour from Arabica with the added froth and higher caffeine content that comes from Robusta.
Jan 24, 2009
473 posts
124 upvotes
For those in Montreal, my go-to for espresso is Gato Negro roasted by Café Rico. They are a bit oily and probably not the best for super automatics, but great in my (naked portafilter) Saeco Aroma.

Don't forget your grinder will have a much bigger impact on flavour than the bean, therefore worth investing in a good one (Baratza offers excellent value).
Jun 26, 2006
176 posts
27 upvotes
Ottawa
sammjm wrote:
Oct 26th, 2017 11:26 pm
does costco kirkland house blend “Roasted by Starbucks” the green bag good for espresso? how about the beans? are they 100% arabica? are they oily? can be used on superautomatic espresso machines?
It's some of the worst coffee out there. If you like the taste of burnt coffee that gums up your grinder (highly roasted/burnt beans become super oily) to the point of having to clean it weekly then go for it. in a super auto cleaning the grinder properly is probably not easy, even more reason to stay away from dark roasts. Starbucks type roasts are made for adding tons of "flavours" ie syrup, whipped cream and god knows what else people seem to like. A really good espresso would have no taste of coffee if it had all that crap added to it hence the super dark roast, it cuts through the syrups/creams and sort of has coffee flavour too.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2006
3082 posts
492 upvotes
Vancouver
BaadDawg wrote:
Oct 28th, 2017 10:16 pm
Starbucks type roasts are made for adding tons of "flavours" ie syrup, whipped cream and god knows what else people seem to like.
Pumpkin Spice !!!!!!!!!

Jun 16, 2009
325 posts
302 upvotes
Jeenyus1 wrote:
Oct 27th, 2017 8:42 am
Lots of good informative posts from coffee aficionados here!

An Arabica/Robusta blend is necessary for espresso and or coffee and it's not related to lowering the cost, rather it's due to the combination of stronger coffee flavour from Arabica with the added froth and higher caffeine content that comes from Robusta.
Correct, which is why I was commenting on the Arabica obsession in this thread specifically. Robusta is also a bit less susceptible to disease compared to Arabica, and a few years ago there was a reported shortage with Arabica which raised prices of coffee. We should be less obsessed with coffees that don't say "100% Arabica".
c'mon get happy! :cheesygri

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)