Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Lenovo Canada

Lenovo Smart Display 8" with the Google Assistant $134.99

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2019 11:03 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2056 posts
3874 upvotes
Useful in an Echo household? Just starting with some simple smart plugs and switches, but went down the Echo route. This display looks like it'd be a cheaper solution than the Echo Show for bedside alarm clock. Guess I would just have to add the smart plugs to Google echo system if I wanted to control with this device. No issue with setting up plugs in both Echo and Google platforms?
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2018
1391 posts
1496 upvotes
JDTheCanadian wrote: MAYBE. Last I heard, the Lenovo displays could not be added to speaker groups. I don't know if that has changed.
I added mine to a home group and cast music to it and my chromecast 3 nights ago!

I think both the Smart Screen and Chromecast got the updates within the last month or so.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7384 posts
3678 upvotes
GTA
JDTheCanadian wrote: MAYBE. Last I heard, the Lenovo displays could not be added to speaker groups. I don't know if that has changed.
YES it can be grouped
Apr 29, 2013
619 posts
1010 upvotes
Candiac
frugalcanuck wrote: Useful in an Echo household? Just starting with some simple smart plugs and switches, but went down the Echo route. This display looks like it'd be a cheaper solution than the Echo Show for bedside alarm clock. Guess I would just have to add the smart plugs to Google echo system if I wanted to control with this device. No issue with setting up plugs in both Echo and Google platforms?
I have both and they can be used simultaneously.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1897 posts
1365 upvotes
Toronto
Cghall wrote: All those asking about smart home capabilities. I have 3 fire 8 HD wall mounted running actiontiles, dakboard. Very cheap option and also able to enable Alexa is you desire. Have been using this for about a year now and very happy with routines, security camera integration, 401 highway camera feeds, weather and news etc.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up on those. It looks like ActionTiles only supports Smarthings (I use Wink) so I'm probably out of luck. I will probably switch over to SmartThings one day though.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2009
1039 posts
833 upvotes
Calgary
If YouTube works well on this thing, then it's worth it for me, I was planning to buy an Ipad for my daughter, and YouTube is the only thing she really cares about.
Deal Fanatic
May 29, 2003
7384 posts
3678 upvotes
GTA
zywan0124 wrote: If YouTube works well on this thing, then it's worth it for me, I was planning to buy an Ipad for my daughter, and YouTube is the only thing she really cares about.
Casting works well
Dec 13, 2013
68 posts
71 upvotes
Ottawa
I'm thinking about getting this for my grandmother. She doesn't have a cell line, but I'd like to have Duo calls with her. Would it be easy to validate a duo account with out a cellphone number?
Boycott Tim Hortons, Subway, Rogers, Starbucks
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2009
1039 posts
833 upvotes
Calgary
cy wrote: Casting works well
So I can send YouTube videos from my phone to this, right?
Sep 9, 2005
307 posts
94 upvotes
Hamilton,Ontario
Can anyone tell me how well this would work as a bedside alarm clock? and by that i mean will it dim down far enough for sleeping?
“To alcohol! The cause of, and solution to, all of life’s problems.”

Homer J
Jul 11, 2018
699 posts
498 upvotes
bel4_20 wrote: Can anyone tell me how well this would work as a bedside alarm clock? and by that i mean will it dim down far enough for sleeping?
Yes it auto-dims significantly (might be related to movement next to it, if not voice inactivity), and I think you can change the display setting as well. Given how loud the speakers can be, if you get it, definitely keep the volume low, like 1-4.

As for an alarm, it has that function, so would work fine. In our case, we have the two in the kitchen and computer room (upstairs), haven't decided if we want one in the master bedroom and living room yet.
Best deals:
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2006
1352 posts
846 upvotes
Vaughan
Lenovo? Isn't that a China based company? Ugh. I'd feel better about buying their products if their thuggish police state overlords would stop kidnapping Canadians for the purpose of "revenge". Pass.

Mic

I understand that the sale of Canada Goose jackets has plummeted by over 20% as Chinese buyers shun products from Canadian manufacturers...
# 1019 days too many
# Taiwan is a democratic country
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2006
2056 posts
3874 upvotes
from what I've been able to find, this device doesn't have an actual browser, correct?
Deal Guru
Mar 1, 2002
13222 posts
12043 upvotes
Toronto
frugalcanuck wrote: from what I've been able to find, this device doesn't have an actual browser, correct?
Correct, not to say they won't add one in the future though, it's still very early in the platform.

I plan to keep mine in the kitchen, as the smart features for recipes, tutorials, timers without touching it is definitely a strong point.

Fyi according to Lenovo, the idle power draw is 2.5W and 6W while in use.
Last edited by Angultra on Dec 14th, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 12, 2013
727 posts
680 upvotes
BC
zywan0124 wrote: If YouTube works well on this thing, then it's worth it for me, I was planning to buy an Ipad for my daughter, and YouTube is the only thing she really cares about.
My kids have taken over my Lenovo for YouTube! You can select videos on screen (so no casting required) and voice search works well. It is also possible to set it to filtered content; much safer for kids.
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2004
12785 posts
12969 upvotes
bel4_20 wrote: Can anyone tell me how well this would work as a bedside alarm clock? and by that i mean will it dim down far enough for sleeping?
I don't use it that way but yes, it'll dim dark enough that you can barely see the clock. But it does wake on motion and light.

That said, I am not comfortable enough have anything with dedicated camera in bedroom, even one with a hardware shutter/cover.
mobile_mic wrote: Lenovo? Isn't that a China based company? Ugh. I'd feel better about buying their products if their thuggish police state overlords would stop kidnapping Canadians for the purpose of "revenge". Pass.

Mic

I understand that the sale of Canada Goose jackets has plummeted by over 20% as Chinese buyers shun products from Canadian manufacturers...
#1 Canada Goose stock dropped 20% because investors is betting on retaliation. Nothing has truly happened yet but when 33% of your revenue is from China.... this isn't good.

#2 If you boycott Chinese electronics, you may as well go back to living in stone age.

#3 You also better switch your cell phone provider to Freedom Mobile. It's the only network in Canada free of Huawei gears.

Back on topic, I think Lenovo.com is still the cheapest way to get this with ebate. Walmart at $138 is actually $4 more than Black Friday. BB will PM but now they have dropped to $150, you only save $~ $1.20-$1.50 more. When I price match them during BF with Walmart's $134 against their $260, I was able to get it for $122+tax.

Why you need this over tablet?

- Better mics (2x), so it should pick up your command better.
- It got way better speakers than any tablet unless you pair it with a BT speaker. Way better than the Mini, on par with Home Speaker.
- It's a dedicated device, it will always be there because you won't leave it somewhere else by accident because you were checking your bank account.

Basically, if you already got a Google Home Speaker, this is the same with a screen and can do video call via Duo for $40 more but it will never replace the value proposition of a tablet.

TLDR: a tablet can be a shitty Smart Display. A Smart Display can never replace a tablet.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2007
4231 posts
1218 upvotes
Angultra wrote: I’m still waiting on my shipment from Lenovo, sucks that Walmart gets it first..
My order direct from Lenovo on BF was $128.24. Not the same price as some said. However the expected delivery date is next week. A month later. Done a few research on this and found they have screen problems. They factory reset and still the same. Thinking of cancelling the order.

My JBL smart display ordered from TheSource the same date came a week later. Very rich fantastic sound. I'm impressed. A lot better than GH itself but costs $70 more than Lenovo.

Regarding to people saying the Smart Display works like a phone. Yes and No. It works like GH with a screen. Unlike a phone it will read out loud what you asked (news, traffic, reminder, weather, Q&A). I can listen to radio stations, music and relaxation sound when sleeping. Tons of usage. Mainly for convenience. It's like why you need an August door lock when you can lock/unlock door yourself kind of thing.
FS : Promise NS4300N NAS,Linksys RE400W,E5151,HBB1,VIVOTab RT,MemoPad 8

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)