Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Mi Box Android TV back at Walmart.com!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2018 8:05 pm
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43249 upvotes
ONTARIO
Tha DraGun wrote: There is always a circle on the right side of the screen in the middle. Its always different, cant really tell what the picture is and I don't know how to click it. It's annoying. What is it, how do I get rid of it?

What build is everyone using for kodi/SPMC?
I tried hypertt, top tutorials but I think I'm going to need to get rid of it. Seems pretty slow for this device.
Judging by your description, I'm guessing it's an ES File Explorer notification icon that overlays all apps.
I've seen plenty of people in the Kodi subreddit complain about this circle, assuming it was Kodi related.

You have to go into ES File Explorer and look for the notification settings and turn this off.
Sep 26, 2006
87 posts
8 upvotes
I had the same issue, I removed Es File Explorer and the circle hasn't appeared since. I had to install the following older version of ES File Explorer resigned version ...
Deal Expert
Jan 17, 2009
24224 posts
43249 upvotes
ONTARIO
Testing_XP wrote: I had the same issue, I removed Es File Explorer and the circle hasn't appeared since. I had to install the following older version of ES File Explorer resigned version ...
Ya, newer versions of ES File Explorer are bloated junk. I just use File Commander on my Shield.
Jun 10, 2016
641 posts
585 upvotes
Whitby
i got amazon fire tv stick for 20 bucks 2 years back and it works great.. not sure why people are rushing to buy this at 80 bucks..
Dec 20, 2006
469 posts
283 upvotes
EmmEmm wrote: i got amazon fire tv stick for 20 bucks 2 years back and it works great.. not sure why people are rushing to buy this at 80 bucks..
Well, it could be for any of the below reasons that have only been mentioned various times already by many people on this forum:

- Google TV versus less user friendly AFTV UI
- Play store direct install of Kodi/SPMC versus sideloading on AFTV (only to have it get screwed up after Amazon again finds a way to dick around with their firmware)
- 4K Netflix (albeit some users are having issues here)

I can see why people might go for a newer AFTV (not the stick) over Mi Box as it now includes refresh rate switching, but it still costs more and still requires sideloading.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
Omg does anyone have the problem where the box always changes to Chinese when u restart? So Annoying. I got mine from Walmart

And how do you resync the remote.?
Just plugged the Mi box in. It's Chinese and the remote won't work. Tried holding buttons and it still doesn't connect. Pointing at the front doesn't do anything either
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
So I was able to get the remote connected again.. now the only issue Im having is the language. It ALWAYS changes when the box is reset or comes back from suspend. I dont know how to fix it.

Here's a shortcut I made for ShowBox too. You can't really use the app unless you can use some kind of mouse tho.
http://atvlauncher.trekgonewild.de/down ... f866255947

Movie HD Lite: http://atvlauncher.trekgonewild.de/down ... f265535959
Last edited by Tha DraGun on Dec 12th, 2016 8:31 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2008
4772 posts
1561 upvotes
Tha DraGun wrote: Omg does anyone have the problem where the box always changes to Chinese when u restart? So Annoying. I got mine from Walmart

Just plugged the Mi box in. It's Chinese and the remote won't work. Tried holding buttons and it still doesn't connect. Pointing at the front doesn't do anything either
Strange, the one I got from WM was never set to Chinese even when I booted it the first time.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Tha DraGun wrote: So I was able to get the remote connected again.. now the only issue Im having is the language. It ALWAYS changes when the box is reset or comes back from suspend. I dont know how to fix it.

Here's a shortcut I made for ShowBox too. You can't really use the app unless you can use some kind of mouse tho.
http://atvlauncher.trekgonewild.de/down ... f866255947
Totoriko wrote: Strange, the one I got from WM was never set to Chinese even when I booted it the first time.

Yeah, that is strange. I'd suspect someone got a Chinese version then returned it to Walmart. I wonder if there is a serial number on the bottom that tells the boxes apart. I don't ever remember seeing Chinese on my Walmart box.
May 24, 2014
204 posts
107 upvotes
Dartmouth, NS
Tha DraGun wrote: Omg does anyone have the problem where the box always changes to Chinese when u restart? So Annoying. I got mine from Walmart

When I was researching what some of the "international" vendors were selling when they said they were selling a Mi Box Android TV, I emailed Xiaomi and they gave me a link to a genuine product identification where you can put in your serial number from the authentication label on the product (not sure if it's on the box or the device itself). Apparently you scratch it off: http://www.mi.com/verify/#secur_en

If it's not genuine, exchange it at Walmart and let them know. Someone may have exchanged a fake "international version" for the real thing. If it's genuine, you probably got a lemon. I'd exchange it.
Nov 30, 2011
697 posts
224 upvotes
EDMONTON
How does this box compare to a Matricom Gbox Q and an amazon Fire TV for kodi purposes...
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
OilersDude wrote: How does this box compare to a Matricom Gbox Q and an amazon Fire TV for kodi purposes...
I sold the Gbox Q and replaced it with the Mi Box and I could not be happier...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
Finally got the language issue corrected. I had thought the system updated, but I guess not. After the update it's fine now.

Is anyone using a Kodi custom build they like? I've tried probably 7 different ones and haven't found one I like that runs fast.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2002
6877 posts
1032 upvotes
Calgary
Tha DraGun wrote: Finally got the language issue corrected. I had thought the system updated, but I guess not. After the update it's fine now.

Is anyone using a Kodi custom build they like? I've tried probably 7 different ones and haven't found one I like that runs fast.
have had no problems with spmc, its the best one for android tv
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
markj wrote: have had no problems with spmc, its the best one for android tv
Sorry, yes Im using SPMC too but you can install a custom build so everything is all set up for you automatically. All the addons submenus etc
It's just a matter of finding the perfect one
Jun 10, 2016
641 posts
585 upvotes
Whitby
ryecatcher wrote: Well, it could be for any of the below reasons that have only been mentioned various times already by many people on this forum:

- Google TV versus less user friendly AFTV UI
- Play store direct install of Kodi/SPMC versus sideloading on AFTV (only to have it get screwed up after Amazon again finds a way to dick around with their firmware)
- 4K Netflix (albeit some users are having issues here)

I can see why people might go for a newer AFTV (not the stick) over Mi Box as it now includes refresh rate switching, but it still costs more and still requires sideloading.
Thanks but still it does not justify the 4 times in price..

1. My fire tv remote on my smartphone works fine with Kodi
2. its a once time install and you can re-install Kodi directly on Fire tv now without even removing the stick from tv
3. i have a 1080p tv as most of us do and full hd is great for viewing, i'll worry abt 4k content once i have that tv..

not to threadcrap but i am cheap and i like free :D
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
18697 posts
5729 upvotes
what is the diff between SPMC and Kodi? aren't they the same?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Dec 27, 2013
665 posts
300 upvotes
Toronto
So there is no way to get this box in Canada outside of ordering from Walmart and sending it somewhere for pick up in the US? Can't believe they didn't put an ethernet port on this puppy, I know we can get a USB to Ethernet dongle, but still...
Sep 14, 2008
513 posts
126 upvotes
Toronto
Hey guys, what is the OS version showing for you guys? I am wondering if mine is not updating for some reason, because I have not seen an update since I got it. My "security patch level" is either June or July 2016 (I am not home so done remember off hand).
Dec 20, 2006
469 posts
283 upvotes
EmmEmm wrote: Thanks but still it does not justify the 4 times in price..

1. My fire tv remote on my smartphone works fine with Kodi
2. its a once time install and you can re-install Kodi directly on Fire tv now without even removing the stick from tv
3. i have a 1080p tv as most of us do and full hd is great for viewing, i'll worry abt 4k content once i have that tv..

not to threadcrap but i am cheap and i like free :D
To each their own, but I still think your claim that Mi Box is "four times the price" of a Fire TV Stick is totally misleading:

• Total price of a Mi Box either shipped to Canada or picked up at a US mail forwarder is around $100 - $110 Canadian.
  • If you paid $20 for your stick, that was USD and a long time ago. Time machines cost extra.
  • Current price of the most recent stick is $39.99, which translates to $53 Canadian (and again requires added cost of shipping to Canada or pickup)

So in reality, Mi Box is around twice the price of the stick, not four times, and still includes the functionality and conveniences I mentioned before. Also, I and many others don't want to use a cell phone as a remote, and the Mi Box has an IR sensor for those with Harmony remotes. Not to mention that if you support Kodi/SPMC, Amazon is basically hostile towards it and actively banished it from their app store while slandering the foundation. Not a company I'd want to support when it comes to using Kodi.
Last edited by ryecatcher on Dec 12th, 2016 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.