Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Mi Box Android TV back at Walmart.com!!!

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 26th, 2018 8:05 pm
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
kiasu wrote: what is the diff between SPMC and Kodi? aren't they the same?
Basically the same. SPMC just has some added features that kodi doesnt have. Voice search is one of them.
Dunno what else is different but that was the reason I picked it instead of kodi
Jun 10, 2016
641 posts
585 upvotes
Whitby
ryecatcher wrote: To each their own, but I still think your claim that Mi Box is "four times the price" of a Fire TV Stick is totally misleading:

• Total price of a Mi Box either shipped to Canada or picked up at a US mail forwarder is around $100 - $110 Canadian.
  • If you paid $20 for your stick, that was USD and a long time. Time machines cost extra.
  • Current price of the most recent stick is $39.99, which translates to $53 Canadian (and again requires added cost of shipping to Canada or pickup)

So in reality, Mi Box is around twice the price of the stick, not four times, and still includes the functionality and conveniences I mentioned before. Also, I and many others don't want to use a cell phone as a remote, and the Mi Box has an IR sensor for those with Harmony remotes. Not to mention that fact that if you support Kodi/SPMC, Amazon is basically hostile towards it and actively banished it from their app store while slandering the foundation. Not a company I'd want to support when it comes to using Kodi.
lol at the time machine comment, really funny :D

fire tv stick also comes with a remote similar to Roku but again, Amazon can block the third party apps like Kodi in the next uprgade but the chances are low.
Nov 26, 2015
624 posts
137 upvotes
Toronto, ON
why dont they sell this at walmart canada?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
kiasu wrote: what is the diff between SPMC and Kodi? aren't they the same?
SPMC is a fork of Kodi (that is its based on Kodi code) so they are 99% the same except SPMC has a few additional features that many find useful.

A few key feature difference
- Voice search
- HD audio passthrough
- Auto start (as in you can set it up so you box boots straight into spmc)
- Rooted device can reboot and shutdown (XMBC you can only exit)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6913 posts
5816 upvotes
Burlington
krnmeraiya wrote: why dont they sell this at walmart canada?
The true answer is that they didn't make the cover of the box.
They sell for $69 usd, giving away $76 usd worth of subscriptions to more than 10 services, most of which (if not all) are not available in Canada.

Now imagine this "Get a xiaomi Mi box 4k hdr for $120 CAD, and you will receive 1 full month of Netflix ($10) for FREE.

That is just brutal. Sometimes you lose out things here and there being Canadian.
Mar 24, 2006
654 posts
24 upvotes
i actually not felt that $76 free subscription of any interest to me, nothing stands out, some more those are free initial service that require the sign up. though i agree with you, a lot of time is just so hard to get the product alone, have to trouble a friend to get this from the states.
konsensei wrote: The true answer is that they didn't make the cover of the box.
They sell for $69 usd, giving away $76 usd worth of subscriptions to more than 10 services, most of which (if not all) are not available in Canada.

Now imagine this "Get a xiaomi Mi box 4k hdr for $120 CAD, and you will receive 1 full month of Netflix ($10) for FREE.

That is just brutal. Sometimes you lose out things here and there being Canadian.
Dec 11, 2016
5 posts
krnmeraiya wrote: why dont they sell this at walmart canada?
That's a good question. It should be available at Walmart Canada. Does anyone have any idea how to get these boxes here from the US?
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2011
1171 posts
470 upvotes
When will it be available in canada? If it's 120, it's not bad, if I factor exchage rate and shipping to my house... plus if you get a defective one from the US it's a pain.
Jun 16, 2009
45 posts
17 upvotes
Ottawa
I have tried everything and still cannot get Netflix to work on my mi box purchased at Walmart in the US. Any Netflix video will play for a maximum of 15 seconds before giving error: "we're having trouble playing this title at the moment" with error code tvq-pm-100.
I have factory reset and reinstalled Netflix 4 times with the same result. I have made sure that both the OS and Netflix app are updated to latest version. I know it started working for some after a factory reset, and others never had the problem at all. Anyone else still having this issue?
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
makaveli21 wrote: I have tried everything and still cannot get Netflix to work on my mi box purchased at Walmart in the US. Any Netflix video will play for a maximum of 15 seconds before giving error: "we're having trouble playing this title at the moment" with error code tvq-pm-100.
I have factory reset and reinstalled Netflix 4 times with the same result. I have made sure that both the OS and Netflix app are updated to latest version. I know it started working for some after a factory reset, and others never had the problem at all. Anyone else still having this issue?
Take it back and get another one... I have read about this being a issue for some and not for others.... I have 3 of them and they all run Netflix just fine
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
shushwap wrote: Take it back and get another one... I have read about this being a issue for some and not for others.... I have 3 of them and they all run Netflix just fine
Bought 2 more.. one has this issue. The other doesn't. Updated, factory reset, uninstalled app, re-installed. What a nightmare. Nothing works
Deal Addict
May 16, 2006
4308 posts
597 upvotes
makaveli21 wrote: I have tried everything and still cannot get Netflix to work on my mi box purchased at Walmart in the US. Any Netflix video will play for a maximum of 15 seconds before giving error: "we're having trouble playing this title at the moment" with error code tvq-pm-100.
I am. I don't know what to do
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
bobbyg9 wrote: When will it be available in canada? If it's 120, it's not bad, if I factor exchage rate and shipping to my house... plus if you get a defective one from the US it's a pain.
Amazon Canada has the china version for $99 i believe BUT its 1/4GB version not 2/8GB that Walmart sells.

I believe there were rumors that Walmart Canada will carry this sometime early next year. Forgot where i read it/rather or not it was a creditable source tho.
Mar 24, 2006
654 posts
24 upvotes
i did not have this issue. just wonder if you can try to play back within a browser, not using the app? just try to see if there is another way of play back, to rule out any odd
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
I found an android tv version of popcorn time that works great on the mibox. It even shows episodes and movies in the mibox recommendations bar. Pretty cool. Emby also as a awesome android tv app, which also shows up in recommadtions!
Pretty sure I won't be using kodi/SPMC very often anymore.
This box is great!
Sep 26, 2008
74 posts
22 upvotes
Airdrie AB
Tha DraGun wrote: I found an android tv version of popcorn time that works great on the mibox. It even shows episodes and movies in the mibox recommendations bar. Pretty cool. Emby also as a awesome android tv app, which also shows up in recommadtions!
Pretty sure I won't be using kodi/SPMC very often anymore.
This box is great!
What's the name of the app that's like popcorn time?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 19, 2003
5497 posts
2325 upvotes
djayz wrote: What's the name of the app that's like popcorn time?
No it is popcorn time. It's simply called "popcorn time tv" I don't know where you can download the apk. I installed on my MI box from my phone using the android app called CetusPlay.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
23686 posts
5125 upvotes
Niagara Falls
torontocanada1968 wrote: I bought the US version but cant find a way to get on the internet. Help??
Do you have WiFi in your house?
Jul 20, 2016
346 posts
314 upvotes
Yes but there is no browser icons and I tried going into Google play store and couldnt find Chrome or any of them

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)