• Last Updated:
  • Dec 31st, 2017 4:30 pm
[OP]
Jan 30, 2004
274 posts
84 upvotes
Gibsons, BC

Walmart - no free shipping if any food items in cart? SOLVED

Solution: It turns out that some discounted Christmas cookies (Royal Dansk) are bringing up this very large shipping charge ($39 per tin). Likely Walmart keyed it in as something massive or very heavy. Link in later post.

Original post:

I haven't placed any orders with walmart.ca in a couple of months, but food items always were delivered free if the total amount in the cart was over $50. (This would be dry or tinned foods.)

Yesterday I tried ordering some discounted Christmas food items, and my $54 cart showed a $78 delivery charge.

Tried an experimental order today of vitamins and pet items totalling $53 - delivery shown as free. Added a $5 tin of cookies and my cart indicated a $78 shipping charge.

Does anyone know what's going on?
Last edited by Inkslinger on Dec 30th, 2017 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2009
4862 posts
5154 upvotes
Walmart online portal always has some strange behavior. At one time, I could only buy one grocery item in the order. Added one more grocery item would not let my order to checkout even it is over $50. Eventually, I didn't bother to buy anything from them. In your case, try to add grocery items over $50 and see if it works.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2008
4972 posts
1829 upvotes
Was your stuff from one of the marketplace retailers (not sold/shipped by Walmart)?
[OP]
Jan 30, 2004
274 posts
84 upvotes
Gibsons, BC
I wasn't even aware that they had marketplace retailers. Anyway, all sold and shipped by Walmart.

Slightly later: I've been putting together some more experimental carts (clearly I have no life). The problem may be with these discounted Christmas cookies (discounted candy seems okay, free shipping-wise). I'm starting to wonder if their system believes it's an item of furniture.

https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/royal-dans ... 0197104678
[OP]
Jan 30, 2004
274 posts
84 upvotes
Gibsons, BC
Any way that I can remove this thread? I've successfully placed an order, with food including discounted Christmas goodies.

Problem was those specific cookies.
Sep 26, 2008
474 posts
95 upvotes
Ottawa
Inkslinger wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 3:48 pm
I had a similar issue with a specific gift set. It was a small item, but their system was adding a flat rate shipping charge of $75 no matter what else was in the shopping cart. The shipping charge eventually got corrected when the item went on clearance. I guess nobody wanted to buy it with a $75 shipping fee. :)
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1263 posts
304 upvotes
Kanata
Inkslinger wrote:
Dec 30th, 2017 3:48 pm
Any way that I can remove this thread? I've successfully placed an order, with food including discounted Christmas goodies.

Put a note in bold in your original post, others may have the same issue.