Page 1 of 2

Walmart No Receipt Policy?

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 12:18 pm
by xiaobao
Hi

I my mom bought probably 6 weeks ago a bunch of towels while shopping in the U.S and they are crap(lint keeps coming off even after several washes, you basically dry your hear and you got it all in your hair), unfortunately we don't have the receipt anymore, I see that Walmart has a No Receipt Policy. any use it before? Also I think my mom cut off all the tags(the ones with like washing instructions) do you think I still could return them? otherwise I guess have to throw them out, they are unusable.

Re: Walmart No Receipt Policy?

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 12:46 pm
by kmarcie
It baffles me that the general consumer feels so entitled to a refund.

You bought items in a different country, have already used them, have already cut off the tags which would identify the products, have no receipts, and still think you could return them?

The total for these items are probably less than $10 in value.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 3:27 pm
by xiaobao
Wow someone has a stick up their ***** .....They have a "No Return Policy" that is Walmarts choice to have this, so I don't see how this makes me "entitled" to a refund. I am asking if anyone used it before and if my item might be disqualified or not.
No receipt? No problem
We do accept returns without a receipt. You will have the option of a cash refund (if the purchase was under $25), a shopping card for the amount of the purchase (if it was over $25) or an even exchange for the product. Also, as applicable, we follow any manufacturer’s warranties.
Says nothing about if it is used or not or if tags are missing. I only saw something about shoes but not about towels.....If I can return it I would like to as they are crap and $10 bucks might be nothing to you but $10 is something to me.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 4:52 pm
by ippon
are you thinking about trying to return the item at US walmart or Canadian walmart?

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 4:55 pm
by Euroae
The quote you posted is from the American walmart website, the Canadian site has no such policy. The Canadian site says this:
In-Store Purchases

Bring the item you wish to return along with all original accessories, packaging and your receipt to a store.
The problem is if your item can't be scanned or identified, you're unlikely to get anything back. Back when I worked in walmart during highschool, if it couldn't be scanned or identified (even if you had a receipt from an american walmart) there was no refund, no exceptions.

Also, Canadian walmarts don't necessarily accept american walmart returns. The manager we had generally let it slide if the product could scan on our system but not everything sold in the USA walmarts would scan at a canadian walmart (Ill concede this may have changed in the 8 years since I worked there).

In the end if you really want a good answer, call the store you want to return it to, ask for the manager, calmly explain the situation and ask if it is possible to return the item.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 5:00 pm
by Simaahoy
xiaobao wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2013 12:18 pm
Hi

I my mom bought probably 6 weeks ago a bunch of towels while shopping in the U.S and they are crap(lint keeps coming off even after several washes, you basically dry your hear and you got it all in your hair), unfortunately we don't have the receipt anymore, I see that Walmart has a No Receipt Policy. any use it before? Also I think my mom cut off all the tags(the ones with like washing instructions) do you think I still could return them, otherwise I guess have to throw them out, they are unusable.
Throw them out. If they cannot determine if they sell the iteam they won't refund you at all.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 5:26 pm
by Cheap Cat
You buy garbage towels at Walmart and you are surprised when they turn out to be garbage. Hmm. As others have said, no receipt, no labels and you think you can return them. If they are so bad, contact the manufacturer. But let me guess, you don't know who that is because you cut the labels off. Why does your mother cut off the labels?

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 6:32 pm
by sandikosh
xiaobao wrote:
Hi

I my mom bought probably 6 weeks ago a bunch of towels while shopping in the U.S and they are crap(lint keeps coming off even after several washes, you basically dry your hear and you got it all in your hair), unfortunately we don't have the receipt anymore, I see that Walmart has a No Receipt Policy. any use it before? Also I think my mom cut off all the tags(the ones with like washing instructions) do you think I still could return them, otherwise I guess have to throw them out, they are unusable.
This looks fishy. Reminds me of a time when I had to return an item to wal mart. The guy in front of me was returning an a/c unit late in september. He told the csr it stopped working.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 6:59 pm
by xiaobao
First some clarifications

a) I thought posting the American flag, saying they where bought in the US and posting policy from the US walmart would send the message that I would return them to the Walmart in the States to the store, I got them from.
No receipts
No labels
Used "intimate/personal-use" items <<-- BIG hygiene issues here
refund?????
b) They have a policy that states you don't need a receipt but they don't specify requirements for this sort of item they do have for clothing special requirement but I don't consider this clothing, under household items there is nothing(maybe I missed it hence why I am asking if anyone has looked into this....). Even if they had the tag on it, I think they would have a hard time to figuring out if the item was used or not as it is not like clothing where the price tag is dangling around.

This looks fishy. Reminds me of a time when I had to return an item to wal mart. The guy in front of me was returning an a/c unit late in September. He told the csr it stopped working.
Yep you got me, I am running the greatest scam of all time. I was thinking to myself hey how do I make lots of money and I was like "I know I will go the the states, buy towels, drive all the way back home, remove the tag throw away the receipt, go to RFD to see if I can return them and then profit"

I think out of all the posts only 2 where helpful. I will throw them away as it is not the end of the world but I just think it is stupid that if they have a policy that might cover a refund for a ***** product why not see if that policy applies before throwing it away????

I will bullet point everything and expand on some points, as it seems like what I wrote was too much for most people to understand
  • Bought Towels in U.S
  • They suck and and almost in a sense seem defective
  • Don't have the receipt anymore
  • Tags removed
  • Walmart Policy allows to bring back items with no receipt
  • Can't find information on household items that are used/not used(not sure how they could tell with the towel) if eligible (2 actually where only used)
  • Would Return Back to the U.S
  • Wondering if anyone has had to return this kind of merchandise before and can shed some light on this before I throw away...

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 7:33 pm
by Mars2012
If they took them back, they couldn't sell them at full price because the tags are missing. Doesn't seem fair for the company to take the hit for something the customer did to the merchandise.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 8:54 pm
by wilsonlam97
xiaobao wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2013 3:27 pm
Wow someone has a stick up their ***** .....They have a "No Return Policy" that is Walmarts choice to have this, so I don't see how this makes me "entitled" to a refund. I am asking if anyone used it before and if my item might be disqualified or not.

Says nothing about if it is used or not or if tags are missing. I only saw something about shoes but not about towels.....If I can return it I would like to as they are crap ad $10 bucks might be nothing to you but $10 is something to me.
Look you ask for advice but you reply to someone who took their time to reply to you and give them a rude response. I doubt the towels are worth much and if they seriously suck then you got what you paid for. Suck it up and toss it in the garbage because you've already used them. You have some serious moral and ethical issues trying to pass off used towels back to Walmart and then go on the internet to talk about it. You're not here to discuss about Walmart's policy but to get responses from others and free yourself from guilt hoping that others have done the same.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 9:11 pm
by joepoonie
There is no way that they'd accept returns with no receipt and no tags. The only reason why you posted is because you want to return them. For you to respond rudely, I don't know why you bothered to post a question with such an obvious answer.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 10:20 pm
by xiaobao
wilsonlam97 wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2013 8:54 pm
Look you ask for advice but you reply to someone who took their time to reply to you and give them a rude response. I doubt the towels are worth much and if they seriously suck then you got what you paid for. Suck it up and toss it in the garbage because you've already used them. You have some serious moral and ethical issues trying to pass off used towels back to Walmart and then go on the internet to talk about it. You're not here to discuss about Walmart's policy but to get responses from others and free yourself from guilt hoping that others have done the same.
Ya see the that's the key word here "asked for advice". I don't call getting a response about how one guy is basically saying "how I can think I am entitled to a refund and that I am some bad person for asking if maybe their policy would apply here.", one guy basically saying I am trying to scam "walmart" by giving them old towels or something like...is not advice.

I responded exactly how they responded to me....Only 2 people here actually responded and that was "Simaahoy" and "Becks" maybe the rest of the people can study their posts and see what giving meaningful advice is instead of what they wrote....

I don't understand why it is so hard for people to understand what I am asking since it is obvious you don't understand either. Going to try one more time...

Walmart has a policy that allows you to return items without a receipt, there site says there is some exceptions to this policy but don't talk about towels. I was wondering if anyone here has had towels or similar item and if maybe they knew what these exceptions are and could go "oh ya I read they don't take them back period".

I don't see why it is so hard to believe they would not take back an item even if it used. I bought food that I opened and returned, mainly yogurt because when I got home and opened it up it was moldy even though the product was good for another 3 weeks.

I also don't see what the price has to matter, if the item is $100 or $1 it should work more than 1 time. If this was a computer part or something and it did not work after first use no one here would be questioning it and I highly doubt they would put the defective item on the shelf again. Same thing with these towels, I don't call it working as it should if when you dry yourself off and half of it is on you, so why would they put it back on the shelf?????

I honestly think they would take them 100% back if they had the tags on it and hence one reason why I created this post(big mistake I see....as people can't read). The second reason was just to make sure on the off chance maybe they don't have returns at all on towels used or not used. I would think if they have returns on such an item they would not put it out again since how the hell would they know if it was actually used or not? From one or 2 times use you can't tell. I would figure it's like if you return produce(you can return this...I never done this....but I do read receipts) that they probably would not resell it again
There is no way that they'd accept returns with no receipt and no tags. The only reason why you posted is because you want to return them. For you to respond rudely, I don't know why you bothered to post a question with such an obvious answer.
I don't see how it can be obvious...duh I want to return them but I am unsure if I can. Lines like "do you think I still could return them?" probably gave you the hint I wanted to return them but see the question mark. It states I am unsure.

Posted: Aug 22nd, 2013 11:47 pm
by iamnotamerican.com
xiaobao wrote:
Hi

I my mom bought probably 6 weeks ago a bunch of towels while shopping in the U.S and they are crap(lint keeps coming off even after several washes, you basically dry your hear and you got it all in your hair), unfortunately we don't have the receipt anymore, I see that Walmart has a No Receipt Policy. any use it before? Also I think my mom cut off all the tags(the ones with like washing instructions) do you think I still could return them? otherwise I guess have to throw them out, they are unusable.
If you're within 90 days, you may have had a chance. Labels cut off? If they're the brand identifier labels, when you take into consideration you don't have the receipt, not a chance.

Next time spend a bit of extra dollars on the gift for your mum. :-)

Posted: Aug 23rd, 2013 12:53 am
by LostInTruth
Should've went to Costco it seems lol

Honestly OP, why are you cheaping out on towels? I second the call to manufacture.