• Last Updated:
  • Jul 4th, 2019 10:43 am
[OP]
Nov 18, 2017
197 posts
69 upvotes

Walmart Police state

Today I bought two items from Walmart, I went to go use the self checkout aisle. They had a camera and screen which you are shown on but now they also make you accept that you have scanned all items. I’m not sure how long this second policy has been in place for. I regretted stepping into Walmart when I could have gone to other stores. Anyone feel the same?
133 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9077 posts
6397 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Then,
Don’t shop at Walmart.

There are lots of folks who are making this CONSCIOUS decision every day.

They have a horrible record for what they do to small towns (putting others out of business), squeezing their suppliers, not paying their employees fairly (minimum wage & Minimum Hours = NO Benefits), and disregard for the environment, and the third world.

Only people Walmart seems to care about are the Walton Family ... the richest family in the world which own 50.8% of the company, and collectively close to $ 200 BILLION Dollars

Leave Walmart behind
Trust me you’ll not miss them

With strategic shopping you can spend about the same money
And come away knowing you are doing something far more worthwhile for your fellow man
Than lining the pockets of just 7 Walton’s
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walton_family
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2005
2797 posts
1529 upvotes
Canadia
If a business treats you poorly, go elsewhere. There's no need to support a foreign chain that simply sucks money out of the country.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
10891 posts
10142 upvotes
Oakville
DougMckenzie wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 5:11 pm
Today I bought two items from Walmart, I went to go use the self checkout aisle. They had a camera and screen which you are shown on but now they also make you accept that you have scanned all items. I’m not sure how long this second policy has been in place for. I regretted stepping into Walmart when I could have gone to other stores. Anyone feel the same?
Isn't this pretty much the same at all self check outs these days?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5486 posts
2174 upvotes
That's what I say. Every store has you on camera. Walmart's just being transparent about it.
Mar 3, 2018
863 posts
630 upvotes
GTA
I stopped shopping at my Walmart when they replaced most of the cashiers with self checkouts. They were down to two cashiers with long lineups. Try using their self checkout with a full cart of groceries and their error prone technology. I was spending about $6K a year there per my spending app that now goes elsewhere.
Aug 5, 2005
241 posts
146 upvotes
I try finding things that are worth buying at Wal-Mart but I can't seem to find any
Last edited by $n00ker on Jun 15th, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
[OP]
Nov 18, 2017
197 posts
69 upvotes
engineered wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 6:55 pm
Isn't this pretty much the same at all self check outs these days?
Nope. Home Depot, Canadian tire, Costco, save on foods, shoppers, etc. do not
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
8767 posts
2157 upvotes
London
I guess you gotta decide if you want your pennies nickels to end up in the Walton family coffers or the Weston family pockets.
I'll make my domestic billionaires richer, I guess.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2515 posts
1523 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
DougMckenzie wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 7:15 pm
You apparently haven't been to Home Depot lately. I've been to several in the GVRD and they have the camera on self checkout.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
5486 posts
2174 upvotes
DougMckenzie wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 7:15 pm
Shoppers are loaded with cameras, don't kid yourself. Google "shoppers drug mart theft" and switch to Images and you'll see what a nice clear picture they take. (They id a lot of thieves though the news, which is why there are so many samples online.)
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1297 posts
360 upvotes
Kanata
Police state....people keep using that term, I do not think they know what it means.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 7, 2017
9077 posts
6397 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Ottomaddox wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 7:48 pm
I guess you gotta decide if you want your pennies nickels to end up in the Walton family coffers or the Weston family pockets.
I'll make my domestic billionaires richer, I guess.
There are certainly other Cdn choices than WalMart as you say:

Shoppers Drug Mart / Loblaws Group = Brampton ON
Sobeys Group / Empire Co Ltd = Stellarton NS
Metro Inc = Montreal QC
Jean Coutu Group = Varennes, QC
Rexall = Mississauga, ON
Dollarama = Mount Royal, QC

Lol, even Cdn Tire = Toronto, ON
if you watch for Sales and Cash in on their new Triangle Loyalty Program

In fact the Loyalty Programs in Canada
If one knows how to play the game
Can be quite rewarding in terms of Points = Money
And compete head to head, or surpass these HUGE American Corps

Between them all, one can get a lot of shopping done for day to day needs
Groceries, Health & Beauty, Housewares etc
[OP]
Nov 18, 2017
197 posts
69 upvotes
MTommy wrote:
Jun 15th, 2019 8:07 pm
Gerrard Square HD is pretty much 100% self check out now. You'll be lucky to find one cashier. Pretty frustrating in the mornings.
I meant the cameras/ being on the video screen/prompt to agree to scan every item. Out here Home Depot has both and both cashier and self checkout lanes both have lots of traffic.