• Last Updated:
  • Dec 15th, 2017 10:06 pm
Nov 15, 2014
646 posts
393 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
James8 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:31 pm
That's one route you could take, but I've read some Koodo threads before and some of them said that it's YMMV to get seasonal hold in most cases. (new activation)
I haven't decided if I want to get the phone myself and cancel right away.
If they won't allow a seasonal hold, then I am just going to return, it's still new and sim hasn't been used so cant try the whole you used so and so minutes or data so can't return. Was looking at getting a new iPhone SE for 180 after all reductions, but if it has a possibility for costing me over 500 at end of the month after claw back and tab, then not worth it to me. If they already give issue with seasonal hold, that will give me a pretty good forsight of how they will treat me after cancelling.
Apr 22, 2007
128 posts
21 upvotes
London
Just spoke to a Walmart guy on the phone and he insisted that it was a $200 credit, how do I convince him that it is $250 credit? I want to go tonight but I would do it if it was $250 in credit.
Nov 15, 2014
646 posts
393 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
smacd wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:46 pm
For those of you panicking about a clawback, read the last 10 pages or so of this thread: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/koodo-ph ... 6-2146138/

There is no clawback of gift cards.
I just read those 10.pages you spoke of, and actually it does mention that they will claw back gift cards if cancelled before 90 days, in that thread no one mentioned that they won't claw back.. Was page 90 I think that mentions it fully
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
5348 posts
1516 upvotes
Kootenays
junglemage666 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:28 pm
I just read those 10.pages you spoke of, and actually it does mention that they will claw back gift cards if cancelled before 90 days, in that thread no one mentioned that they won't claw back.. Was page 90 I think that mentions it fully
And a couple of posts down, you should see this:
"https://crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/2017/2017-200.htm

The Commission further considers that a change to the Code to require the return of gifts in the event customers cancel their agreement during the trial period would introduce a further barrier to switching. Given the high value of ECFs in the wireless market and the incentive WSPs would have to offer a gift with purchase that might get used right away to invalidate the trial period, the risk associated with providing a gift or promotional incentive during the trial period should be borne by WSPs rather than by consumers. The Commission notes that WSPs have the option of waiting until the trial period has elapsed before issuing a gift."

I bought an iPhone6 over BF weekend. I cancelled and there is no clawback of my $250 RCSS gift certificate. My Koodoo contract spells it out, as should yours.
Dec 16, 2011
91 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
junglemage666 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:28 pm
I just got two from Ottawa Baseline store.
If they claw back gift cards, and seasonal hold does not work, I have to pay $360-$250+$17(SIM card)+$45*3=$262 plus some taxes. Is not it?
May 5, 2011
20 posts
26 upvotes
Can anyone post a receipt or something? Went to my local WM and they said it's only $200 but I didn't go through the steps of actually buying it. I'm in NB.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2002
6360 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
misbactg wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:40 pm
If they claw back gift cards, and seasonal hold does not work, I have to pay $360-$250+$17(SIM card)+$45*3=$262 plus some taxes. Is not it?
Why are you removing $250 from what you have to pay if they will claw back the $250 from you...
May 7, 2012
350 posts
113 upvotes
frogger wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:50 pm
Why are you removing $250 from what you have to pay if they will claw back the $250 from you...
cuz he's holding onto the phone and keeping the GC's in this scenario
May 7, 2012
350 posts
113 upvotes
misbactg wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:40 pm
you could go less by moving to AB # (5% tax), pay off tab, then eligible for lower rate plan ($25-30/mo) = safe?
Dec 16, 2011
91 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
frogger wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:50 pm
I am keeping it for 3 months with cheapest plan under medium tab ($45*3). Assuming my calculations are right.

Both of these phones are for gift, for my sister and niece. Now wondering whether I should get Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 for CAD $234 in total from Geekbuying (I know the long waiting time).
Dec 16, 2011
91 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
gameon12 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:57 pm
you could go less by moving to AB # (5% tax), pay off tab, then eligible for lower rate plan ($25-30/mo) = safe?
How can I do that ? I live in Ottawa, does not it require AB id? Or just through Koodo self-serve account?
Last edited by misbactg on Dec 7th, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2255 posts
271 upvotes
James8 wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:31 pm
That's one route you could take, but I've read some Koodo threads before and some of them said that it's YMMV to get seasonal hold in most cases. (new activation)
I haven't decided if I want to get the phone myself and cancel right away.
Finally got through to someone at Koodo last night. I said my wife still has a pay as you go balance on another carrier (which is true, but not the real reason for wanting seasonal hold), so we want to finish that before using this plan, and so I'd like to put it on seasonal hold. He said that's only for out of country travelling, so would not be possible. So then I said OK I'd like to cancel, pay my tab, and I'll call back in a few months to sign back up when her prepaid balance is zero. He said "let me look into something for you" and after 60 seconds or so he came back and magically seasonal hold was an option for me!

So I stayed and put myself on seasonal hold. Costs $45 plus tax for 3 months, but since I self-referred I'll get $50 back so it pretty much evens out in the end, and I assume this will allow the guy at Wal-Mart to keep his commission.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 5, 2009
2255 posts
271 upvotes
misbactg wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 2:58 pm
I am keeping it for 3 months with cheapest plan under medium tab ($45*3). Assuming my calculations are right.

Both of these phones are for gift, for my sister and niece. Now wondering whether I should get Xiaomi Redmi Note 4 for CAD $234 in total from Geekbuying (I know the long waiting time).
My Redmi Note 4 arrived a couple weeks ago, and I love it. Getting closer to Christmas wait times might be worse, but I think mine was here in 19 days or something like that. That was free shipping, with DHL it's probably less than a week.
Dec 16, 2011
91 posts
29 upvotes
Ottawa
GSRee wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 3:09 pm
My Redmi Note 4 arrived a couple weeks ago, and I love it. Getting closer to Christmas wait times might be worse, but I think mine was here in 19 days or something like that. That was free shipping, with DHL it's probably less than a week.
DHL will add up import duties..