Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
24 upvotes

WALMART pricing policy question

I couldn't find a thread about this.

So here's the scenario: I understand that they give you the first item for free (under $10) if the item rings up higher than advertised in their store. Now what about pricing on websites? Their website shows pricing for each individual store. I was looking for an item, and one particular store showed a price $3 cheaper than other stores. So I called them up, and they said the free-item price policy only applies to in-store advertised prices? But the website shows a cheaper price for that specific store (this can be considered a pricing error).

Just wondering if the Customer Service fed me some BS, or if anyone has ever got their 1st item (under $10) for free because of a website pricing error?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2011
1467 posts
82 upvotes
Toronto
Applies to in-store prices only. Prices can differ from online and physical locations. Some stores will give the lower online price, some won't. It all has to do the way the business is structured.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
Just to be clear, the Scanning Code of Practice (ie getting the first item free up to $10) is not Walmart's policy but is a voluntary policy that comes from the Retail Council of Canada. Walmart follows it but it is not their unique policy.

Regarding your situation, Walmart's pricing policy is on their website as follows:
Online price available only at Walmart.ca. In store price based on the Walmart store you have selected. Prices, selection and availability may vary by store. While the site is updated regularly, this information is subject to change without notice. Visit or call your local Walmart for current information on pricing and availability.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
Did you go to the store or just price shop on the phone? For $3? Hope that locations wasn't further away than another one. Lol

I would go in and see if they will sell it to you at the cheaper price. Tell them how you drove there (farther) to get it since the website is cheaper. Often stores will match their online pricing. Home depot did for me. But it was for more than $3.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
24 upvotes
redgrandam wrote:
Jul 1st, 2012 5:18 pm
Did you go to the store or just price shop on the phone? For $3? Hope that locations wasn't further away than another one. Lol

I would go in and see if they will sell it to you at the cheaper price. Tell them how you drove there (farther) to get it since the website is cheaper. Often stores will match their online pricing. Home depot did for me. But it was for more than $3.
Well the way they present their website is misleading. When you click on an item, it asks for your postal code, and after entering your postal code you get pricing for that item for all the closest stores. And the thing is, i'm not trying to price match anything. It is showing me a lower price for a specific store (that was closest to me anyway) compared to other walmarts. It's basically a case of pricing error, except it's not like the item is on sale.

Anyways, cust service told me over the phone that even if the website shows the wrong price, it doesn't apply. It would have been great to get the 1st item for free, and any item beyond the 1st will be sold at the discounted price. I would have bought a dozen. I have gotten items for free in the past before lol.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
SCOP only makes sure that you pay at the register what the price on the shelf stated. They can have different advertised prices, they just can't charge you more at the register than the tag on the shelf stated.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2007
4599 posts
116 upvotes
jp06 wrote:
Jul 1st, 2012 11:50 pm
Well the way they present their website is misleading. When you click on an item, it asks for your postal code, and after entering your postal code you get pricing for that item for all the closest stores. And the thing is, i'm not trying to price match anything. It is showing me a lower price for a specific store (that was closest to me anyway) compared to other walmarts. It's basically a case of pricing error, except it's not like the item is on sale.

Anyways, cust service told me over the phone that even if the website shows the wrong price, it doesn't apply. It would have been great to get the 1st item for free, and any item beyond the 1st will be sold at the discounted price. I would have bought a dozen. I have gotten items for free in the past before lol.
How is it a pricing error? Did you go to the stores and verify that they were all the same price? Different stores can have different prices.
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2011
1023 posts
165 upvotes
OTTAWA
As some have said different Walmart stores have different price on the same item. Home Depot stores are good to honour the price advertised by another HD stores.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2007
1115 posts
24 upvotes
spf1971 wrote:
Jul 2nd, 2012 8:42 am
How is it a pricing error? Did you go to the stores and verify that they were all the same price? Different stores can have different prices.
no i didn't verify the price yet. I'll probably do that later this week.
Jul 3, 2012
4 posts
STONEY CREEK
Do you guys know if you can ask for extra discounts in WalMart because I know that at HomeDepot they can give up to 50$ discount without asking managers!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
5833 posts
503 upvotes
London
DavidTasar wrote:
Jul 4th, 2012 2:05 pm
Do you guys know if you can ask for extra discounts in WalMart because I know that at HomeDepot they can give up to 50$ discount without asking managers!
Huh? I doubt that's true for either store (except maybe some wiggle room by certain people on high priced stuff). But no the Walmart cashier can't just take $50 off your grocery bill.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10455 posts
1958 upvotes
DavidTasar wrote:
Jul 4th, 2012 2:05 pm
At Walmart, the cashiers aren't even allowed to change their cash register receipt tape. The tapes are locked up someone where else and they have to call a CSM to do it. So do you think a store that won't trust its cashiers to perform a basic cashiering task would allow them to just give a discount?
× < >