Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Prime Rib Roast AAA Angus. $4.77 Per LB.

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 4th, 2018 8:30 pm
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2014
2261 posts
764 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
iforgotmypassword wrote: If it's in the original vacuum package from the packer, then it's not mechanically tenderized. The package will have the meat inspection crown. Also it has to be labeled as mechanically tenderized if it is.
Gotcha. So no label, no mechanical tenderizing.
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
OOS at Grandview East Vancouver and Lougheed Burnaby Angry Face

I will try early tomorrow morning.
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
Fido Tablet plan $15/month Free for a year
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Sep 4, 2013
338 posts
424 upvotes
Edmonton
I can confirm that it is Mechanically tenderized. I just bought 5 at this size for my family of 4. We will use one of these for a big meal for us. Cold smoke for flavour, then 24 hr sous vide for tenderness and safety. Torch at the end for nice crispy edge. I do this all the time and it’s always a hit with the family
Images
  • image.jpg
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2010
1730 posts
5253 upvotes
Montreal
Not much of a meat expert in terms of pricing and differences value of the cuts, but if it's cheap AAA Angus depending on your Walmart some might frequently discount their meat when it has a few days before their best before dates so you can get some decently priced meat without it being advertised.
IMG_20171016_205617.jpg

So a Sirloin roast that goes for 10.52/kg was discounted to 5.91/kg.
You'd notice it's 25% off on the image but it's really 25% off on top of the previous 25% or basically about 44% off.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2011
2095 posts
1082 upvotes
VANCOUVER
Brian79 wrote: OOS at Grandview East Vancouver and Lougheed Burnaby Angry Face

I will try early tomorrow morning.
Walmart Grandview was a gongshow lol. The workers were carting out about 20 at a time. Limit was 1, but people were grabbing 2-3 and then deciding which. Some even left with 2 and they actually let them buy both at checkout. I only saw 1 demographic there hahaha and you better get your elbows up when you wade into the crowd surrounding the cart. Pieces were priced between $11 - $30 that I saw. I managed to snag a $25 one.
Dec 25, 2017
502 posts
1147 upvotes
I live in the ghetto [montreal north], should I assume it's not worth going?
Whats the best time to show up to evade these people?
Jul 11, 2006
126 posts
74 upvotes
Very interesting...I did not know about the tenderizing practice.

I don't understnad why an Angus Prime Rib roast would need tenderizing?

One thing that I have noticed re Angus. When it first came out it was somewhat expensive....quite tasty.. tender and considered to be special. The taste is not the same. This brings to mind Tomatoes On The Vine. They have gone down hill.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10930 posts
3663 upvotes
azn0Richard0 wrote: Not much of a meat expert in terms of pricing and differences value of the cuts, but if it's cheap AAA Angus depending on your Walmart some might frequently discount their meat when it has a few days before their best before dates so you can get some decently priced meat without it being advertised.

IMG_20171016_205617.jpg

So a Sirloin roast that goes for 10.52/kg was discounted to 5.91/kg.
You'd notice it's 25% off on the image but it's really 25% off on top of the previous 25% or basically about 44% off.
the rib roasts that are on sale this week are what ribeye's are cut from. for me, the ribeye is the best steak you can cook. I would pick a ribeye steak over any other steak any day of the week, and I would prefer the bone be attached.
Deal Guru
Dec 17, 2001
11723 posts
4919 upvotes
St-Fabien de Panet, …
Super C Quebec has King Roast on sale this week for $2.69 LB, Perfect for cutting into stewing beef.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
I was over at the Queensborough location and they had lots - brought out about 30 pieces every hour or so with no limits on how many you can purchase.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
thenewalkapone wrote: Very interesting...I did not know about the tenderizing practice.

I don't understnad why an Angus Prime Rib roast would need tenderizing?

One thing that I have noticed re Angus. When it first came out it was somewhat expensive....quite tasty.. tender and considered to be special. The taste is not the same. This brings to mind Tomatoes On The Vine. They have gone down hill.
We don't know the backstory on why Walmart is getting them tenderizing. It may be that Walmart, being Walmart, forced the supplier to provide some 'value-add' for the same price and the only thing that was left was to run the works through a tenderizer.

As for Angus, there's got to be some backstory to that as well... I remember when they first came out as well and it was only available sometimes and then suddenly it disappeared for about a year to 18 months in the market place. When it re-appeared, it was at Walmart and not at any other grocery store.
Nov 11, 2010
214 posts
264 upvotes
GTA/Niagara
Mok122cobra wrote: Who cares if its mechanically tenderized. We'll all be dead under the ground one way or another. Quit your wining and eat your beef like a man
Haha, bunch of meat snobs in here. Myself, I prefer my meat mechanically tenderized with all Canadian made steel.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
2596 posts
1987 upvotes
Boom and Bust Calgar…
Bought one last day from Walmart, none of them in the pile were mechanically tenderized.
Jul 27, 2008
204 posts
19 upvotes
I bought one at Metro and nothing on the label about it being "mechanically tenderized"
Jan 3, 2013
504 posts
282 upvotes
Raincouver
craftsman wrote: I was over at the Queensborough location and they had lots - brought out about 30 pieces every hour or so with no limits on how many you can purchase.
What time where you there?

I am getting sick of going to Walmart and they don't even have a spot for the prime ribb!!
Koodo $35/month 5 gigs
Fido Tablet plan $15/month Free for a year
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
7057 posts
3368 upvotes
AeR0 wrote: I bought one at Metro and nothing on the label about it being "mechanically tenderized"
only Walmart and Costco does this despicable thing to the prime rib.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
21844 posts
15619 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Brian79 wrote: What time where you there?

I am getting sick of going to Walmart and they don't even have a spot for the prime ribb!!

I was there around 11:00 AM today. It's not with the rest of the beef but in one of the bulk chest type freezers near the doors to the stock room.
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2009
1401 posts
665 upvotes
Toronto
Mathewsparentss wrote: Food safety Issues about mechanically tenderized meat?? Please link to CFIA news article about these issues happening. Also please link to article stating Walmart mechanically tenderizes their Prime Rib Roasts??

I hate people who state something but are unable to back it up.

OOPS my bad. I forgot that this is RFD!!!!
Mathewsparentss wrote: Thanks to all of you that replied.

I truly believe that these issues happen but my point revolves around the fact that statements get made here on RFD with no proof and if proof was INITIALLY presented, we are all better informed.

Thanks again
Then Your citation demand was rude, no need for proof in every single post. Believe it or not, you can do your own research and make ur own judgement instead of yelling like a fool.
Aug 12, 2010
882 posts
533 upvotes
Jay-c wrote: Not that I'm advocating for either side of the debate on meat tenderization and/or cooking temperature guidelines.. but since you want to be a smartass, here you are:

Link to Health Canada

And I can personally confirm that i have purchased roasts from Walmart which have clear labels that they are mechanically tenderized.

EDIT: I hadn't found the proof when i wrote this... but since you insist, here's a label of a walmart roast from another post. Is this proof enough for you that Walmart does mechanically tenderize their roast?
So what you are saying is Health Canada is concerned about mechanically tenderized beef causing sickness but allows one of the biggest chains to sell hundreds of thousands of mechanically tenderized beef products?
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22705 posts
3696 upvotes
weaser999 wrote: So what you are saying is Health Canada is concerned about mechanically tenderized beef causing sickness but allows one of the biggest chains to sell hundreds of thousands of mechanically tenderized beef products?
That is correct, which is why there is a label requirement. It comes down to disclosure and lets the customer decide. Personally I don't buy most beef cuts from Costco and Wm for this reason.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)