Shopping Discussion

Is Walmart products good - Huge Price difference between Walmart and Shoppers Drugmar

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2012 12:20 am
Tags:
None
Oct 30, 2012
176 posts
14 upvotes

Is Walmart products good - Huge Price difference between Walmart and Shoppers Drugmar

3 weeks ago I bought a sinus medicine in Shoppers drug mart 50 tablets was $15.99, the next day i went to walmart to buy something else. There i saw the same brand sinus medicine 50 tablets for $5.99.

$10 which is very bad imo.

I am wondering about the quality of product in walmart, and why is this huge price difference. may be a 2 or 3 dollar difference is good on the lower side.
44 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2004
1588 posts
142 upvotes
Toronto
lol walmart dispensing fee for prescription is like $6 + while costco is like 2 something and shoppers is worse than walmart

it pays to be smart =0)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8171 posts
1929 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
eddymurphy wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2012 3:29 pm
I am wondering about the quality of product in walmart, and why is this huge price difference. may be a 2 or 3 dollar difference is good on the lower side.
If it's an over-the-counter medication, same make, same dosage, same packaging, etc. then it's the same thing regardless of price.

If it's prescription medicine then the dispensing fees will differ. If the prescription allows for generic substitution (which is now the default in most provinces) then the make may vary but the active ingredient and dosage will be the same. However, at $5.99 at WalMart I doubt this is prescription medicine. My local WM charges $10.49 dispensing fee. That's still a few bucks less than the rip-off artists at SDM.
veni, vidi, Visa
[OP]
Oct 30, 2012
176 posts
14 upvotes
It is just OTC medicine, advil sinus and congestion. If the quality is same then i am ok. Most of the OTC medicines are lot cheaper in Walmart. Multivitamins are atleast 3 dollar less in walmart same brand same dosage, same package.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9477 posts
682 upvotes
Jimboski wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2012 3:36 pm
Wal-Mart Is definitely better than Shoppers IMO.
I see Shoppers as a place to get an item you need quickly/desperately (*cough*) because of the high prices there I wouldn't shop there regularly.
Not actually true. SDM is all about calculating the actual price instead of the stated price. Mostly due to their SDM points and how you can take advantage of that. I.e. Tide @ WM was $1 cheaper than SDM in September (think it was 5.99 vs 4.97 or something like that) but if you took advantage of the chocolate promo, then its much cheaper to buy the Tide @ SDM than WM given if you were flipping chocolate, you pretty much got 70-90% off whatever price SDM had. Not to mention if it was a household item that you would've bought, it would be better than flipping the points for electronics anyways.

If you're not into SDM's Optimum membership, then yeah your statement is correct but otherwise, SDM is based more on doing math/calculated purchases instead of buying it in a hurry and rather or not you're redeeming points/getting points (from point promo) with the purchase. Of course if you're not into math or in a hurry, WM is almost always better than SDM.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9477 posts
682 upvotes
eddymurphy wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2012 5:12 pm
It is just OTC medicine, advil sinus and congestion. If the quality is same then i am ok. Most of the OTC medicines are lot cheaper in Walmart. Multivitamins are atleast 3 dollar less in walmart same brand same dosage, same package.
The quality is exactly the same. That said, SDM generally have slower turnover so the expiry date @ WM is generally later than the ones @ SDM. But if you're using it right away, should make no difference.
[OP]
Oct 30, 2012
176 posts
14 upvotes
Even if the expiry date is 2 years from the date i purchased in walmart iam ok. I even agree the quality is same.

Huge price difference is what kind of business practice.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 7, 2002
8171 posts
1929 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
GVRtrader wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2012 5:48 pm
SDM generally have slower turnover so the expiry date @ WM is generally later than the ones @ SDM. But if you're using it right away, should make no difference.
Which segues nicely into some class action lawsuits that were just filed in the US. They contend that the relatively short expiry dates used by the pharma industry are bogus. They're intended to encourage consumers to throw out perfectly good "expired" drugs and buy new "unexpired" replacements.

See e.g.
1. Lawsuit Accuses Big Pharma Of Using Bogus Expiration Dates To Trick Customers Into Buying More*Meds
2. Bayer, Pfizer, J&J Named In 3 Class Actions Over Drug Expiration Dates
Three separate class action complaints filed Oct. 22 in Missouri state court allege that Bayer Healthcare LLC, Pfizer Inc. and Johnson & Johnson place misleading expiration dates on three over-the-counter drugs to generate sales of fresh packages of the nonprescription drugs
veni, vidi, Visa
Jan 17, 2010
954 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
eddymurphy wrote:
Do you think WalMart gets stuck with lower class products or something? Reminds me of the people who think Walmart meat isn't "quality" like they don't get their product from the same gigantic slaughterhouses as all the other grocery stores.

Walmart can sell for lower prices because of their buying power.
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1554 posts
86 upvotes
SleepyMcGee wrote:
Nov 3rd, 2012 11:21 pm
Do you think WalMart gets stuck with lower class products or something? Reminds me of the people who think Walmart meat isn't "quality" like they don't get their product from the same gigantic slaughterhouses as all the other grocery stores.

Walmart can sell for lower prices because of their buying power.
they do grade meat, so there is a difference in quality. Fast food hamburger patties usually come from the same handful of places but some are better than others.

In this case op, Shoppers is just more expensive, and it isn't that walmart is cheaper, it is that everybody is cheaper than shoppers on a number of convenience items.
Jan 17, 2010
954 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto
cyder wrote:
Nov 4th, 2012 12:41 am
they do grade meat, so there is a difference in quality.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2011
1722 posts
427 upvotes
eddymurphy wrote:
3 weeks ago I bought a sinus medicine in Shoppers drug mart 50 tablets was $15.99, the next day i went to walmart to buy something else. There i saw the same brand sinus medicine 50 tablets for $5.99.

$10 which is very bad imo.

Walmart has more shoppers than Shoppers Drugmart, which means they can sell more overtime. Hence their prices are low, but they can move stock faster.
× < >