Shopping Discussion

Is Walmart products good - Huge Price difference between Walmart and Shoppers Drugmar

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 8th, 2012 12:20 am
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Feb 20, 2006
1789 posts
334 upvotes
SleepyMcGee wrote: lol butthurt. So you think AAA steak is worse quality at Walmart than AAA steak at Sobey's? That's what I'm talking about so please get your panties untwisted before you cut off the circulation.
I haven't gone to their grocery section much since it is more expensive than other places but as of last year they didn't sell AAA steak, hence they sold lower quality meat
Jan 17, 2010
950 posts
169 upvotes
Toronto
cyder wrote: I haven't gone to their grocery section much since it is more expensive than other places but as of last year they didn't sell AAA steak, hence they sold lower quality meat
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3214 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
same for safeway, save on food, london drugs
I wonder why people still shop there. their regular price is always higher by a big margin than walmart/superstore.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
7132 posts
3735 upvotes
Montreal
ccyk wrote: same for safeway, save on food, london drugs
I wonder why people still shop there. their regular price is always higher by a big margin than walmart/superstore.
Convenience plays a big part. Most people don't have a Walmart within walking distance of their homes, though this is changing with the conversion of many Zellers to Walmarts.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
9467 posts
2643 upvotes
eddymurphy wrote: It is just OTC medicine, advil sinus and congestion. If the quality is same then i am ok. Most of the OTC medicines are lot cheaper in Walmart. Multivitamins are atleast 3 dollar less in walmart same brand same dosage, same package.
Man you got ripped. I would take the $15 one back to Shopper's for a refund.
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
Shopper's is always overprice. Even for their on sale item, it is still overprice and if you are lucky, its sales item may beat the price of Walmart for a few cents.
Shopper's may carry more varieties than Walmart though.
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Growing older is mandatory. Growing up is optional.
Stay hungry, stay foolish.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2006
1805 posts
256 upvotes
Toronto
Hello guys; it seems lot of misinformed and bad shoppers here...

I track the price of products and I know that buying Stouffers packets at $2 with 20X promo is better then anything Walmart can offer in terms of promotion; I got my Advil when Shoppers had it for sale at $5.99 regular price was $14.99, I bought my shoes insole for $19 at Walmart, and that same insole came for sale at shoppers for $11 two months later; so, you see if you track sale and promotion over time then you can benefit a whole lot buying at Shoppers.

At shoppers I buy Christie biscuits too at $1.88 with 20X points promotion I don't think other store can better that deal; Overall, I see that buying blindly and misinformed is a bad idea at shoppers; yet, if you track prices then you can most likely save a whole lot buying stuff at Shoppers.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
indca wrote: it seems lot of misinformed and bad shoppers here.
That's true, even on sites like RFD, but it's not restricted to WM vs SDM. It happens all the time. And it can happen to the best of us too (*)
Overall, I see that buying blindly and misinformed is a bad idea at shoppers; yet, if you track prices then you can most likely save a whole lot buying stuff at Shoppers.
That may be true if you have the time and energy to track prices and walk/drive to the cheapest seller. Not everyone has that luxury. And sometimes when you have a headache you go to the nearest store and pay what they charge in order to get pain relief.

That said if you compare regular, every day pricing between WM and SDM, overall you're going to pay less at the former than the latter.
I got my Advil
(*)Speaking of "misinformed and bad shoppers here" why did you buy Advil when you can get generic ibuprofen (the active ingredient in Advil) for less per tablet at regular price and a lot less per tablet when it's on sale? ;)
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
indca wrote: Hello guys; it seems lot of misinformed and bad shoppers here...

I track the price of products and I know that buying Stouffers packets at $2 with 20X promo is better then anything Walmart can offer in terms of promotion; I got my Advil when Shoppers had it for sale at $5.99 regular price was $14.99, I bought my shoes insole for $19 at Walmart, and that same insole came for sale at shoppers for $11 two months later; so, you see if you track sale and promotion over time then you can benefit a whole lot buying at Shoppers.

At shoppers I buy Christie biscuits too at $1.88 with 20X points promotion I don't think other store can better that deal; Overall, I see that buying blindly and misinformed is a bad idea at shoppers; yet, if you track prices then you can most likely save a whole lot buying stuff at Shoppers.
The problem is you have to track to buy. When you need medicine, you want it now instead of waiting for its promotion period. Then, you need to deal with Shopper's reward program to get the reward back.
Most people wants low price everyday instead of may be low price on certain days.
If you have to track, you may as well tracking Walmart's (or other stores).
Too many people spend money they haven't earned to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like. -- Will Smith
Deal Expert
Jun 14, 2003
23140 posts
202 upvotes
bylo wrote:
(*)Speaking of "misinformed and bad shoppers here" why did you buy Advil when you can get generic ibuprofen (the active ingredient in Advil) for less per tablet at regular price and a lot less per tablet when it's on sale? ;)
+1. You could buy tons for about Shopper sales price from (say) Costco without waiting for sales.
Deal Addict
May 3, 2008
4442 posts
247 upvotes
Drug Mart's overpriced. I wonder why Canadian retailers keep going out of business....

And the difference is huge sometimes, saw a medicine at Drug Mart for $22, decided not to buy it, same one was at the Superstore pharmacy for $12 (and RCSS isn't exactly cheap either). SDM is good for points and cosmetics I guess.
Deal Fanatic
May 25, 2009
9113 posts
2403 upvotes
Nettles wrote: Drug Mart's overpriced. I wonder why Canadian retailers keep going out of business....

And the difference is huge sometimes, saw a medicine at Drug Mart for $22, decided not to buy it, same one was at the Superstore pharmacy for $12 (and RCSS isn't exactly cheap either). SDM is good for points and cosmetics I guess.
It is mostly for convenience I believe, SDM is one of the few pharmacies that are open to the public 24/7 and they do home deliveries which are ideal for the elderly or those who cannot easily get to another pharmacy that is cheaper.
"God's in His heaven. All's right with the world." - Robert Browning (1812-1889)
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
gman wrote: Then, you need to deal with Shopper's reward program to get the reward back.
Which is a huge hassle in itself. It also makes price comparison more difficult because you're comparing today's price at the competitor—what you pay today at the cash register—with the promise of a future, lower post-reward price. My life is complicated enough without having to do those sorts of calculations.

<RANT>
Merchants originally created rewards programs to reward customers for their loyalty. They've now depreciated the value of their rewards program so that the bulk of the reward for your loyalty goes to them, not you. For that reason I won't buy from a rewards sponsor if the reward is the only reason their price is competitive. And if I buy from them because the cash register price is competitive I view any additional rewards if, as and when I actually redeem them, as an extra bonus.

Moreover I refuse to fill my wallet with single-merchant rewards cards so stores like SDM have to offer me good prices to begin with before I enter their store.
</RANT>
veni, vidi, Visa
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2002
29583 posts
28909 upvotes
Waterloo, ON
Winkle wrote: It is mostly for convenience I believe, SDM is one of the few pharmacies that are open to the public 24/7 and they do home deliveries which are ideal for the elderly or those who cannot easily get to another pharmacy that is cheaper.
If I need a prescription after hours I'm more than willing to pay an extra $5 or so as an "after hours dispensing premium" to pay for the convenience. I don't see why everyone else should subsidize the cost of 24/7 for the few who need it.

As for seniors, other pharmacies also offer home delivery, either for free or for a nominal cost.
veni, vidi, Visa
Feb 26, 2009
436 posts
32 upvotes
Sudbury
Winkle wrote: It is mostly for convenience I believe, SDM is one of the few pharmacies that are open to the public 24/7 and they do home deliveries which are ideal for the elderly or those who cannot easily get to another pharmacy that is cheaper.
Not in Sudbury, with all stores regulated to having to close at 10pm, it makes me wonder how the overpriced ripoff artists like Metro and Shoppers can stay in business, while Food Basics and Wally World offer the same products for much less. At least when I was living in London, the more expensive options were open late, or 24/7, so the higher price was a 'tax' on the convenience.

There's a Shoppers near my new place, and I only go there for milk and a few other things that are typically the same price everywhere.
Deal Guru
Nov 19, 2010
14957 posts
2917 upvotes
Toronto
cyder wrote: you are the one saying all meat is the same shithead
Why are so many people on RFD swearing today? NSX is not online yet?
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
31267 posts
17274 upvotes
cyder wrote: you talked about their meat not being inferior, they sell AA meat, everyone else sell AAA
What? Barely anyone sells AAA.
Well outside of the "Premium" line that's ridiculously over priced like Safeway's $50/lb Tenderloin.
I damn near had a coronary.

"Regular" meat is AA in most stores.
Hell... I saw A meat in Superstore once. It was a WTF moment.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2005
3214 posts
387 upvotes
Vancouver
gman wrote: The problem is you have to track to buy. When you need medicine, you want it now instead of waiting for its promotion period. Then, you need to deal with Shopper's reward program to get the reward back.
Most people wants low price everyday instead of may be low price on certain days.
If you have to track, you may as well tracking Walmart's (or other stores).
exactly. no one in their right mind can spend so much time tracking prices on every items. just buy it from walmart/superstore/costco and I know it can't be that far off from the lowest price.
Oct 30, 2012
176 posts
15 upvotes
Frankie3s wrote: Man you got ripped. I would take the $15 one back to Shopper's for a refund.
Yes very much ripped. can't return it, i bought it for emergency and used it immediately.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)