• Last Updated:
  • Mar 12th, 2019 12:51 pm
[OP]
Feb 13, 2019
4 posts
11 upvotes
GVA

[Walmart] Public Mobile Sim Card - Free

Went to Walmart today to buy a SIM card for Public Mobile. Surprisingly the salesman told me that SIM card is free if I activate a new line there. I was going for 1G/$28 minus $10 per 30 days for six months so I went with it. Think it is a decent deal with multiple savings. Got it from Walmart in Langley but it seems like applicable at all retailers.
38 replies
Jan 10, 2019
3 posts
8 upvotes
Sim cards are always free when activating a phone line with almost any provider and if they are not you can easily bug them and they will give it free. If you are trying to share a good public mobile monthly deal then please reflect that in the title OP.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2014
1170 posts
860 upvotes
You saved $10 for the sim, but if you just bought it for $10 and activated at home with ref, you could've got $25 credit + the $10 for 6 months.
Dec 8, 2013
144 posts
110 upvotes
Toronto
If you pay for a Sim you're a sucker. Don't ever pay for a Sim. The last Rep that asked me to pay for one I honestly laughed, and didn't realize they were serious.. (they gave it to me for free like always), but I was a little taken off guard..
Jul 14, 2018
154 posts
204 upvotes
Public Mobile is a prepaid carrier and it's not unusual to pay for a SIM for prepaid.

Postpaid plans sometimes have 'activation fees' which are essentially the same thing.
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
1645 posts
1210 upvotes
GTA
You need to modify your title to say free sim with new line activation.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2253 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver
NinjaSaves wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 9:28 pm
Public Mobile is a prepaid carrier and it's not unusual to pay for a SIM for prepaid.

Postpaid plans sometimes have 'activation fees' which are essentially the same thing.
It's not about getting SIM for free. This is about one getting sucked into saving a bit [$10] instead of saving a lot more... [Several ongoing threads right now on PM promos - probably about $85 lost by OP...]
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
Jul 14, 2018
154 posts
204 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 10:19 pm
It's not about getting SIM for free. This is about one getting sucked into saving a bit [$10] instead of saving a lot more... [Several ongoing threads right now on PM promos - probably about $85 lost by OP...]
My reply was directed to the two posters above mine who expect SIMs to be always free. :)

Anyways, I was looking through the OP's post - he says he was going for the $10/mo off discount for 6 months, which I assume he got.
As for the $25 referral bonus, I know you're able to use referrals when activating in-store because Walmart reps use PM's own website to activate lines. There's a chance you can activate in-store and get the $25 referral credit, but if you don't get $25 then you should still get the $10 normal referral bonus.
So $60 off the plan, $10 off the sim, at least $10 referral bonus. According to my math, the most OP lost for the convenience of activating in store is $5. The person who he used as his referral might have lost $25, but unless he's self-referring, that shouldn't matter.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2003
2253 posts
1018 upvotes
Vancouver
NinjaSaves wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 11:11 pm
My reply was directed to the two posters above mine who expect SIMs to be always free. :)

Anyways, I was looking through the OP's post - he says he was going for the $10/mo off discount for 6 months, which I assume he got.
As for the $25 referral bonus, I know you're able to use referrals when activating in-store because Walmart reps use PM's own website to activate lines. There's a chance you can activate in-store and get the $25 referral credit, but if you don't get $25 then you should still get the $10 normal referral bonus.
So $60 off the plan, $10 off the sim, at least $10 referral bonus. According to my math, the most OP lost for the convenience of activating in store is $5. The person who he used as his referral might have lost $25, but unless he's self-referring, that shouldn't matter.
True that..
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity".
May 13, 2012
16 posts
4 upvotes
Am I missing something? Where can I get the $25 credit instead of the $10 referral credit that I see on the website?
Jun 2, 2017
50 posts
11 upvotes
Markham
jsw0302 wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 3:52 am
Am I missing something? Where can I get the $25 credit instead of the $10 referral credit that I see on the website?
deal link
Deal Expert
Nov 16, 2004
15222 posts
2138 upvotes
Toronto
ZakB71922 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:28 pm
Sim cards are always free when activating a phone line with almost any provider and if they are not you can easily bug them and they will give it free. If you are trying to share a good public mobile monthly deal then please reflect that in the title OP.
Actually, I just activated a new account at Walmart through PM and the SIM was not free, so ...
RedFlagDeals addict
Nov 17, 2017
816 posts
566 upvotes
YMMV on the free SIM card at Walmart. There is no official promotion for free SIM card at Walmart presently. You can always ask the rep though.
Public Mobile
Tangerine
Deal Addict
Dec 5, 2005
1097 posts
449 upvotes
Earth
chhotadon wrote:
Feb 16th, 2019 7:40 pm
You saved $10 for the sim, but if you just bought it for $10 and activated at home with ref, you could've got $25 credit + the $10 for 6 months.
This time around the $10 credit for 6 months applies to both online and in-store activations. This is great, since the previous time this was offered it was for online activations only and it caught some people off guard who activated in store.

Activate any $30+/mo plan and get $10 off for 6 months
Zoomer Wireless: $45 6GB 4G LTE
Public Mobile
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
1924 posts
1932 upvotes
DaVibe wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 9:33 am
Actually, I just activated a new account at Walmart through PM and the SIM was not free, so ...
Rep probably didn't know it was free. It's a coupon that needs to be applied manually
Dunkster wrote:
Feb 17th, 2019 10:43 am
YMMV on the free SIM card at Walmart. There is no official promotion for free SIM card at Walmart presently. You can always ask the rep though.
There is a promo for free sim until the 20th
Koodo, Fido, Telus, Public Mobile, Virgin customer.