Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

Pyrex Glass Storage sets 50% off online

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 19th, 2017 9:36 am
Feb 7, 2012
762 posts
1513 upvotes
Toronto

[Walmart] Pyrex Glass Storage sets 50% off online

Walmart has some Pyrex brand glass storage sets on sale for 50% off.. it seems to be online only

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pyrex-glass ... 0196238438
16-piece storage set Includes:
• (1) 3qt oblong with lid
• (1) 2qt oblong with lid
• (1) 4cup round with lid
• (2) 2cup round with lid
• (3) 1cup round with lid
•Glass Bakeware
•Freezer Safe
•Oven and Microwave Safe
•Dishwasher Safe
•Glass won't absorb stains or odors

http://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/pyrex-20-pi ... 0196251137
Pyrex® 20 Piece Storage Set Includes:
• 4 Round cup (250 mL) with lid
• 3 Round cup (473 mL) with lid
• 2 Round cup (946 mL) with lid
• 1 Round cup (1.6 mL) with lid
27 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2011
1752 posts
2720 upvotes
Pallet Town
Thanks OP, I've been waiting for this to resupply my kitchen
Jun 9, 2007
874 posts
210 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Thanks OP! Just bought some for the house.
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Order Handling fee even for Canada Post pickup? :facepalm:

In store might be nice, the price is excellent
In fact in Rand McNally they wear hats on their feet and hamburgers eat people
Nov 8, 2005
206 posts
78 upvotes
Great find OP!
These are GREAT prices!
If only I could justify purchasing more of these (I have so many of them!!)
Dec 28, 2016
28 posts
59 upvotes
Just as an FYI, Pryex is no longer made from borosilicate glass. They started using tempered soda-lime glass in the late 90s because it's cheaper to produce and more resistant to breakage when dropped. When it does break, the glass is under a lot of tension from the tempering process and tends to kind of pop and can spread small fragments an impressive distance, which is actually a good thing compared to the breaking behaviour of other types of glass, including borosilicate. Soda-lime is considerably less resistant to sudden temperature changes than borosilicate, so don't expose it to cold when it's hot. After replacing my older stuff that I could no longer read, I learned the hard way that it was no longer borosilicate when it shattered in my hands and sent small chunks of (not particularly sharp) glass all over the place.

Manufacturers will tell you that soda-lime is just as good or even better, but that's up to you to decide. Just don't expect that you're getting something special when buying Pyrex anymore, since they've abandoned what once made them special. I don't plan on dropping things I buy and I'm not sure I would want to keep using glass cookware that had survived a drop, so how well it performs when dropped isn't part of my shopping criteria. Imported Pyrex from Europe, as well as several other brands, are still borosilicate.
Feb 7, 2012
762 posts
1513 upvotes
Toronto
If you order $25+ you can get free canada post pickup
Quentin5 wrote: Order Handling fee even for Canada Post pickup? :facepalm:

In store might be nice, the price is excellent
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
Semple wrote: Just as an FYI, Pryex is no longer made from borosilicate glass. They started using tempered soda-lime glass in the late 90s because it's cheaper to produce and more resistant to breakage when dropped. When it does break, the glass is under a lot of tension from the tempering process and tends to kind of pop and can spread small fragments an impressive distance, which is actually a good thing compared to the breaking behaviour of other types of glass, including borosilicate. Soda-lime is considerably less resistant to sudden temperature changes than borosilicate, so don't expose it to cold when it's hot. After replacing my older stuff that I could no longer read, I learned the hard way that it was no longer borosilicate when it shattered in my hands and sent small chunks of (not particularly sharp) glass all over the place.

Manufacturers will tell you that soda-lime is just as good or even better, but that's up to you to decide. Just don't expect that you're getting something special when buying Pyrex anymore, since they've abandoned what once made them special. I don't plan on dropping things I buy and I'm not sure I would want to keep using glass cookware that had survived a drop, so how well it performs when dropped isn't part of my shopping criteria. Imported Pyrex from Europe, as well as several other brands, are still borosilicate.
I've heard about this and still use my old pyrex for the oven. This stuff i would never even try in the oven after reading some horror stories, That said i was given some pyrex and don't know how to find out if its the newer or older stuff, the capital vs small letters is not bulletproof, i have seen some new stuff in caps.
Last edited by Quentin5 on Jan 18th, 2017 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2009
1429 posts
1382 upvotes
Toronto
froesesp wrote: Too bad the lids are junk.
I guess I'm not the only one having problems with breaking lids despite following the instructions (top rack only). Is it worth complaining to Pyrex? Would they send me replacement lids?
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
4768 posts
4984 upvotes
East GTA
If you microwave or heat the lids, they will breakdown faster. I've had a Pyrex container for close to 3 years now and the lid is fine because I don't put the lid anywhere near heat.
Last edited by NoSoup4You on Jan 18th, 2017 5:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NO SOUP FOR YOU!

+1337
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
I only microwave these and corelle dinnerware sets.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2008
1229 posts
658 upvotes
Vancouver
redkulat wrote: If you microwave or heat the lids, they will breakdown faster. I've had a Pyrex container for close to 3 years now and the lid is fine because I don't put the lid anywhere near heat.
Owner of 20+ Pyrex containers, I find the breakdown of the lids inevitable no matter what i do. I have so many without lids now and i don't microwave or heat the lids, never have. I hand wash the lids, never put them in a dishwasher. I put some food item with a pyrex dish in the fridge and the lid cracked, as in splintered from the middle outward. It was very strange. The lids are the worst part of these.

I've partly switched to those glass and lock ones from costco now.
Deal Addict
May 8, 2007
1374 posts
406 upvotes
Westside
And of course the 16pcs went out of stock before I could checkout. Stupid me decided to continue shopping for more items grrrrr
Deal Expert
Feb 8, 2014
32083 posts
15376 upvotes
Socially Distanced
thefeebster wrote: Owner of 20+ Pyrex containers, I find the breakdown of the lids inevitable no matter what i do. I have so many without lids now and i don't microwave or heat the lids, never have. I hand wash the lids, never put them in a dishwasher. I put some food item with a pyrex dish in the fridge and the lid cracked, as in splintered from the middle outward. It was very strange. The lids are the worst part of these.

I've partly switched to those glass and lock ones from costco now.
Darn it, i was hoping if one did not microwave or dishwash the lids they would last, what kind of garbage plastic are these made of?
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
58618 posts
24555 upvotes
Quentin5 wrote: Darn it, i was hoping if one did not microwave or dishwash the lids they would last, what kind of garbage plastic are these made of?
I microwave mine all the time and only recently was there some stench that lingered on. Still using them cause I make sure it doesn't touch food when heating. We've had these for more than 4, maybe even 7 years now.

I put my 1L bowl in a freezer bag and hold it sideways walking from the car to Union Station to ttc to work and it hasn't leaked anything yet though I don't bring soup to the office.

These are the flat blue lids. The white ones that are less flat and protrude down are less leak proof.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)