Expired Hot Deals

[Walmart] Rain-X De-Icer -40C Windshield Washer Fluid: $2.22 ea. (YMMV Edmonton)

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 31st, 2018 7:20 pm
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
9 posts
17 upvotes
EDMONTON

[Walmart] Rain-X De-Icer -40C Windshield Washer Fluid: $2.22 ea. (YMMV Edmonton)

Looks like they’re clearing out inventory at Walmart South Edmonton Common but not marked as clearance. The price is not the same at other locations so YMMV. They have about 2 shelves, an end cap and a 1/4 pallet remaining.

Considering I missed the last sale for this product, I think this is a pretty hot deal. Your personal experience may vary with it but I pretty much only use this for our winters and am relatively satisfied with it. This deal applies to single units for the same retail $ per unit as the Black Friday deal that passed.

Product info is here:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rain-x-de- ... 0187310354

Forgot to take an in-store picture but here’s a receipt for reference. This is my first post so hopefully this is done right. Let me know if any edits are required.

Cheers!
Images
  • C11781E8-4279-4EA6-94A3-3A332D218EB2.jpeg
Last edited by tmx206112 on Jan 20th, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
35 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
1383 posts
318 upvotes
B.C.
Does this leave a film on anyone elses windshield?
Jul 8, 2009
905 posts
310 upvotes
Newmarket
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:21 pm
There is some sort of a coating, however you don't see it. Just don't mix with regular brand washer fluid. If possible, empty out the tank then fill it with Rain X. Otherwise it will leave streaks.
Jul 24, 2014
41 posts
12 upvotes
Westmount, QC
Did RainX ever change the formula of their windshield washer fluid? I recall hearing there was a class action against them as some washer fluid level sensors went bad after using their fluid...
Jan 11, 2016
80 posts
32 upvotes
Peterborough
lennyandcarl wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:21 pm
Yes! Won't be buying this product again. [...]
Last edited by Mars2012 on Jan 22nd, 2018 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: not relevant
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2012
1175 posts
609 upvotes
Beaverton
Bought 4 cases of this crap during the WM BF sale. Never again.
Costco stuff is much better & worth the extra few pennies for winter driving.

Edit: Thumbs up for your first post. Good Job! Keep it up.
Dec 10, 2006
314 posts
72 upvotes
dk87 wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:27 pm
There is some sort of a coating, however you don't see it. Just don't mix with regular brand washer fluid. If possible, empty out the tank then fill it with Rain X. Otherwise it will leave streaks.
Lots of streaks and a coating on my windshield which made visibility terrible at times. Would not recommend this stuff.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6967 posts
5181 upvotes
Oakville
jeffyjaixx wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:13 pm
Going to check local Walmart and see if I can find any. How long do these last for? Expiry date-wise?
Probably longer than your car will last.
seeparks wrote:
Jan 21st, 2018 11:29 pm
Did RainX ever change the formula of their windshield washer fluid? I recall hearing there was a class action against them as some washer fluid level sensors went bad after using their fluid...
I've been using RainX for over 10 years on the same car with no issues (also on other cars) with my BMW's washer sensor. Can't see why it would, it's probably just a float. I bet people are letting gunk into their fluid tanks.

Definitely worth the premium price for me.
If you have streaks you probably need to clean your windshield before using it. Be sure to clean your wipers as well.
[OP]
Nov 30, 2012
9 posts
17 upvotes
EDMONTON
Personally my experience has been fine as I only use this for my (older) car and generally don’t mix washer fluids. In an older thread, there’s a list of cars that aren’t suitable (re: class action).

From [jwslam]:
It only effects you if you drive one of these:
Volkswagen
Audi
Mini Cooper
BMW
Mercedes Benz
Chrysler

See here
https://www.classaction.org/rain-x-lawsuit
Couldn’t edit my post after submitting to add this in. Didn’t realize it would take over a day for the post to be approved.

Buy at your own discretion. It’s a great price for those that haven’t had issues with it before!
Jan 11, 2016
80 posts
32 upvotes
Peterborough
engineered wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 9:07 am
Probably longer than your car will last.

I've been using RainX for over 10 years on the same car with no issues (also on other cars) with my BMW's washer sensor. Can't see why it would, it's probably just a float. I bet people are letting gunk into their fluid tanks.

Definitely worth the premium price for me.
If you have streaks you probably need to clean your windshield before using it. Be sure to clean your wipers as well.
Maybe it is a certain batch that a bunch of us bought. I'm almost certain there isn't any gunk in my windshield reservoir because it's a brand new vehicle. I put the fluid in after a car wash as well. Still leaves streaks.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
6967 posts
5181 upvotes
Oakville
tmx206112 wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 9:12 am
Personally my experience has been fine as I only use this for my (older) car and generally don’t mix washer fluids. In an older thread, there’s a list of cars that aren’t suitable (re: class action).

From [jwslam]:

Couldn’t edit my post after submitting to add this in. Didn’t realize it would take over a day for the post to be approved.

Buy at your own discretion. It’s a great price for those that haven’t had issues with it before!
Interesting. It hasn't been proven to be at fault, but if true I guess out MINI and BMW are just super lucky to not have failed. The chemical makeup of rainx is probably 98% the same as other de-icers (methanol/alcohol), with the hydrophobic additive added.
I wouldn't be surprised if some car makers are blaming rainx when it was their own sensor going bad. Either way the dealers should be covering the costs if under warranty as there's no limitation on what washer fluid should be used.
I guess we'll see what comes of the class action.
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2006
1867 posts
82 upvotes
OTTAWA, Canada
engineered wrote:
Jan 22nd, 2018 9:47 am
Interesting. It hasn't been proven to be at fault, but if true I guess out MINI and BMW are just super lucky to not have failed. The chemical makeup of rainx is probably 98% the same as other de-icers (methanol/alcohol), with the hydrophobic additive added.
I wouldn't be surprised if some car makers are blaming rainx when it was their own sensor going bad. Either way the dealers should be covering the costs if under warranty as there's no limitation on what washer fluid should be used.
I guess we'll see what comes of the class action.
I'm pretty sure its the rainx.. my sensor wouldn't reset for a week. I found a trick online to use diluted peroxide and empty the reservoir to clean out the sensor... worked like a charm. Never putting the junk in my audi again :)
Jan 26, 2012
243 posts
23 upvotes
Surrey
so having said this, what do most people use as winter windshield washer?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)