Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

RCA 40" LED HDTV - $148

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2018 9:43 am
Jun 24, 2012
253 posts
164 upvotes
Hamilton

[Walmart] RCA 40" LED HDTV - $148

Saw this on the front page of the Walmart flyer.
https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/rca-40-led ... 0196957274

Seems like a great price for a 40" TV. I question the quality though.
55 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5529 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
Good price.. I might upgrade my 32" RCA kitchen tv. PQ for my 32" is pretty good for my use (kitchen) and as for longevity the 32" is 4 years old and no issues.
Oct 9, 2018
308 posts
1777 upvotes
Quality of the panel probably isn't the greatest but for $148, you can't complain too much. Better then that 720p curved tv they were trying to peddle.
Jun 24, 2012
253 posts
164 upvotes
Hamilton
$148 is almost throw away money for a TV. I'm sure it will be better than the 10+ year-old fading 32" LG I'm rocking in the bedroom now.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2007
4798 posts
1796 upvotes
Are these "RCA" branded tv actually made by the actual RCA company. or some rebrand and just using their name. Like Hisense licenced the Sharp name.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7576 posts
575 upvotes
York
EEE2 wrote: Are these "RCA" branded tv actually made by the actual RCA company. or some rebrand and just using their name. Like Hisense licenced the Sharp name.
I believe Haier just slaps the RCA logo on it

Would the TV be on demo to see the quality in store?
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2905 posts
2130 upvotes
Parksville, BC
EEE2 wrote: Are these "RCA" branded tv actually made by the actual RCA company. or some rebrand and just using their name. Like Hisense licenced the Sharp name.
RCA hasn't been a company since the 80's. Its a Curtis, I think.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2004
1042 posts
890 upvotes
Kanata
I bought one of these, for around $180 all-in including eco-fee, using it to replace my kids' 32 inch CRT they use. I have no need for the best picture, etc. so it seemed fine when I tested it out last night. Similar to the 43 inch RCA I usually use. I told the CSR it was a Xmas gift so she gave me until the Xmas return period for returns so I'm going to stress it out for the next couple of months.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2008
7463 posts
4047 upvotes
Montreal
Richhy wrote: $148 is almost throw away money for a TV. I'm sure it will be better than the 10+ year-old fading 32" LG I'm rocking in the bedroom now.
Thinking about getting it for the bedroom as well... wonder if BF will have a better price.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
4329 posts
1344 upvotes
Moncton
Madevilz wrote: Thinking about getting it for the bedroom as well... wonder if BF will have a better price.
It’s a $148 for a 40 inch HD TV. Lol. The fact that this is an in-store only purchase indicates Walmart’s limited profit margin. They will all be gone by tomorrow.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2009
2858 posts
3893 upvotes
Stoney Creek, ON
dankup wrote: I believe Haier just slaps the RCA logo on it.

Would the TV be on demo to see the quality in store?
I believe RCA are re-badged ProScan / Curtis / Sylvannia.

For a guest room, I think its an OK priced TV. I wonder if the box has the same specs/description or should say "lack of" description as the Element 39" smart TV from last year's Walmart BF. The now discontinued Element mentioned 4K on the Walmart site, but when it cam in there was no mention of 4k, 1080p, or even 720 anywhere on the box, all it said was Element Smart HDTV, either way it's still chugging along and was a cheap ($168) replacement for my mom's 10yr old 32" LCD TV.

Courtesy of Wikipedia...

"In 1986, RCA was reacquired by General Electric, which over the next few years liquidated most of the corporation's assets. The RCA trademarks are currently owned by Sony Music Entertainment and Technicolor, which in turn license the brand name to other companies including Voxx International, Curtis International, AVC Multimedia, and TCL Corporation for their various products."

I doubt the quality is anywhere close to the popular "best bang for your buck" TCL TVs now available in Canada.
Last edited by remik on Nov 16th, 2018 10:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2009
1412 posts
629 upvotes
Had one in my hand...just couldn't really find a justification for it so put it back (too small to replace either of my main TV's)
Deal Guru
Mar 4, 2004
10202 posts
3116 upvotes
Montreal
RCA is rebanded ProScan / Curtis / Sylvannia. RCA went bust and someone bought the rights for Canada. U.S. RCA is NOT THE SAME, another company bought out the rights for the U.S.

RCA in Canada is a pretty POOR brand for quality, support and after service. The reviews on Walmart indicate it NEVER lasted beyond 2 years.

My two cents. Buy the new TCL brand TV's that just launched in Canada two weeks ago, good quality and well reviewed. 4K 43" Smart TV with built in Roku TV for $369 is pretty sweet (on sale now).

https://www.amazon.ca/TCL-43S425-CA-Ult ... rds=tcl+tv
Last edited by yuprules on Nov 16th, 2018 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2005
2126 posts
1556 upvotes
yuprules wrote: RCA is rebanded ProScan / Curtis / Sylvannia. RCA went bust and someone bought the rights for Canada. U.S. RCA is NOT THE SAME, another company bought out the rights for the U.S.

RCA in Canada is a pretty POOR brand for quality, support and after service. The reviews on Walmart indicate it NEVER lasted beyond 2 years, my two cents. Buy the new TCL brand TV's that just launched in Canada two weeks ago, good quality and well reviewed.
I don't support Curtis, but I have a Viewsonic now for 6 years. No issues so far.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 18, 2004
5529 posts
2000 upvotes
Wat
yuprules wrote: RCA is rebanded ProScan / Curtis / Sylvannia. RCA went bust and someone bought the rights for Canada. U.S. RCA is NOT THE SAME, another company bought out the rights for the U.S.

RCA in Canada is a pretty POOR brand for quality, support and after service. The reviews on Walmart indicate it NEVER lasted beyond 2 years, my two cents. Buy the new TCL brand TV's that just launched in Canada two weeks ago, good quality and well reviewed.
It's weird, I never had any issues with the cheaper brand stuff which I abuse (RCA, Technicolor, Daytek) but the expensive stuff that I baby break within 5 years (Samsung, LG).
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2010
4397 posts
10584 upvotes
MonctonMan wrote: It’s a $148 for a 40 inch HD TV. Lol. The fact that this is an in-store only purchase indicates Walmart’s limited profit margin. They will all be gone by tomorrow.
Profit margin shows -66.5% loool
Public Mobile customer

$17.95 + 6.95 SAF
100 postal code wide minutes
unlimited texts
0GB data
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2011
2905 posts
2130 upvotes
Parksville, BC
djpr wrote: I don't support Curtis, but I have a Viewsonic now for 6 years. No issues so far.
Viewsonic has always been quality.
Jun 24, 2012
253 posts
164 upvotes
Hamilton
I did a quick search for TCL in Canada, and the prices are... comparable to the bigger brands at best. More than 2x the price of this RCA.
Oct 6, 2008
182 posts
141 upvotes
Winnipeg
Just to confirm, this is not a smart tv correct? No Netflix?
Also, the description says 1080p but the specs say 720p on walmart website. Which is it?
Sep 4, 2015
525 posts
476 upvotes
I've had this for just over a year. The headphone jack (needed for external speakers) is failing. Luckily I can plug the speakers directly into my laptop instead. However when I use it for Xbox or Chromecast the internal tv speakers are used which are awful.

TLDR buy the extended warranty or go for something a little better.
Making my money go further with RFD since 2017

$25/25GB PhoneBox
$25/20GB Fido Plan
$30/10GB PhoneBox plan