Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Walmart

RCA 65" 4K LED TV - $498

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 23rd, 2018 11:17 am
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27110 posts
37052 upvotes

[Walmart] RCA 65" 4K LED TV - $498

Hi Folks,

I'm normally very skeptical of low-end panels, and this is as low as you get, short of the dumpster fire that is Haier.

I'm posting this because I know some folks out there are looking for a basement TV for their tweens and teenagers... and size is valued over panel quality.

This panel should do you just fine for console gaming and random media, it won't meet our demanding standards, but the sprogs will probably enjoy it.

Warranty
redflagdealsguy wrote: It appears extended 2 year warranty is available on this TV:
https://www.walmart.ca/en/financial-ser ... lan-prices

God bless.
Last edited by redflagdealsguy on Nov 16th, 2018 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Thread Summary
RCA 65" 4K LED TV - $498

Good for:
- Basement
- Your shop
- Guest bedroom
- Gift for Mother-in-law
- Gift to ShadowMordor
45 replies
Jul 2, 2016
888 posts
2358 upvotes
Thanks op. Bought one. Seems like great value for the price.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1928 posts
2774 upvotes
Halifax
At least with Haier you get consistency, even if consistently bad. ie. same panel, same build quality. You really are guessing wih RCA products. Who knows who made the TV, what panel it is, what is the build quality. You can easily have 2 totally different results in 2 models under RCA. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 different panels/manufacturers for the same model.

RCA is rebranded Curtis who literally shops out their name. Curtis, IMHO ranks somewhere between craptacular and s***tastic.

If you do buy this TV, get the extended warranty.
Apr 5, 2018
473 posts
472 upvotes
Tempting until I picture the frustration when it randomly conks out due to a bad solder somewhere inside and I think of the landfill it's going to and the poor creatures that are going to gnaw on it's insides and then die from poisoning and creatures that eat them and then die of poisoning. Nope, I'm sticking with my 42" for a long time.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27110 posts
37052 upvotes
The frugal man's buy is this TV plus warranty. Keep it simple.
I aim to be inclusive and considerate of others in my posts. If I fall short of that mark, feel free to let me know in good faith, and where appropriate, I'll edit my posts. Thank you.
Nov 23, 2015
905 posts
587 upvotes
redflagdealsguy wrote: The frugal man's buy is this TV plus warranty. Keep it simple.
Yeah, honestly. Unless paying more for a TV means that I get to see my teams win every game, I think something like this would be fine.

It was just 10 years ago that I was watching a 21" CRT TV, for pete's sake.
Nov 6, 2018
69 posts
17 upvotes
$499 is great price. To bad no extended warranty
Deal Addict
Mar 13, 2008
3866 posts
5373 upvotes
Oakville
tdracer wrote: At least with Haier you get consistency, even if consistently bad. ie. same panel, same build quality. You really are guessing wih RCA products. Who knows who made the TV, what panel it is, what is the build quality. You can easily have 2 totally different results in 2 models under RCA. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2 different panels/manufacturers for the same model.

RCA is rebranded Curtis who literally shops out their name. Curtis, IMHO ranks somewhere between craptacular and s***tastic.

If you do buy this TV, get the extended warranty.
I have a Hauer 65" for $599 4k HDR LED, from last Walmart tv thread and 7 months strong so far and amazing. We have a Samsung panel in main living room and honestly unless they are placed side by side, the viewing experience is within 20% (subjective, but as per different people visiting our house).
-ZdpZ... ;)
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2010
1017 posts
786 upvotes
Canada
signops wrote: Tempting until I picture the frustration when it randomly conks out due to a bad solder somewhere inside and I think of the landfill it's going to and the poor creatures that are going to gnaw on it's insides and then die from poisoning and creatures that eat them and then die of poisoning. Nope, I'm sticking with my 42" for a long time.
Is that based on your own experience or just because the TV is inexpensive and it must be of poor quality?
Apr 5, 2018
473 posts
472 upvotes
The latter. And correlation (price-quality) is not causation. But with RCA, the likelihood is pretty high.
Deal Addict
Nov 19, 2017
2026 posts
3623 upvotes
Toronto
Can you get Walmarts extended warranty on this if you buy in store? Would it stack with the warranty that your Credit Card company offers?
Deal Addict
May 1, 2011
1928 posts
2774 upvotes
Halifax
Amowagou wrote: Is that based on your own experience or just because the TV is inexpensive and it must be of poor quality?
I am all for value and believe that you don't always get what you pay for and that higher brands often charge a premium to account for brand name. That being said, Haier is/was the cheapest 65" for a long time with HIsense / Sharp being a close second. Both are higher in sell price than the RCA.

Further, Proscan, Sylvania, and RCA are all just rebrands of Curtis.

On Walmart website the 65" Proscan is 598. Same company, different brand name. Either Curtis is charging an extra $100 for the Proscan name, or there are significant cost differences between the two.

Curtis has historically put out a wide variety of poorly made products. I think there are many indicators that this TV falls into that category.
Apr 15, 2018
109 posts
350 upvotes
Calgary, AB
I am looking for a new TV, but seems like a mistake to buy a TV so close to Black Friday??
Jul 24, 2014
29 posts
13 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Definitely DON'T buy that tv. Just look at the reviews on Walmart. 2/3rds of them die within a day.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27110 posts
37052 upvotes
signops wrote: The latter. And correlation (price-quality) is not causation. But with RCA, the likelihood is pretty high.
Pretty high is an exaggeration, these are single digit failure rates over 2 to 3 years. That's why you buy the warranty.

This is a great price for a get-the-job-done panel at 65". Such a massive discount on an already discounted panel.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2004
2240 posts
669 upvotes
Mississauga
guys over in the LG OLED discussion are paying $2,500+ for a 65". I don't know about you but $2K is a lot to pay for some HDR and Dolby Vision crap that we can't even utilize on our Rogers PVR boxes yets.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2014
2643 posts
733 upvotes
Ottawa
RCA is TRASH. You are better off wiping your bum with that money. At least you’ll get the satisfaction.
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2018
27110 posts
37052 upvotes
I'll be honest, I would never put this guy in my family room.

I would use this as a kids, tweens, teenage TV in a heartbeat though. Definite third and fourth bedroom TV. Definite shop TV, where the environment isn't the cleanest. Also a good gift for elderly parents potentially.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)