None
[OP]
Banned
Aug 28, 2005
4338 posts
34 upvotes
Hamilton

Walmart return policy for bikes.

I bought a bike just yesturday. I'm wanting to return it because of the poor quality. The issues I'm having with the bike probably can't even be fixed. It's just in general, a poorly equipped, poorly manufactured bike.

If you care to know which bike it is. It's the Dyno Dart 26" in the flyer for $99.99. I got it for $102 after taxes with my discount. It has dual shocks yatta yatta. But, it wasn't made from Dyno Canada ( they make sick bikes). It was made in Dyno Indonesia. The fact is, I figured, well it's a Dyno, it's gotta be sweet. The only other Dyno they had with dual shocks was the Dyno Fierce for $399. But, I'd rather buy the GMC Topkick for $299. Basically the same bike. Anywho, the Dyno Dart in general is just crap, the $99 price tag really does signify the fact that you only get $99 worth of materials lol.

Issues I'm having, the gears don't like to switch, so some times they skip. Or the chain falls off. The breaks are good, the shock under the seat is really squeaky. Everytime I ride it, even if it's on a flat surface, it adjusts at will. Everytime it does this, it squeaks. Really annoying, and the fact that sometimes it won't adjust when going over a bump, but it does when your on a flat surface, indicates that it's a crappy shock.

So just wondering, I've returned many things before far later than just a day. But just want to make sure that they will return this POS bike.
11 replies
Jul 3, 2005
449 posts
Barrie
They will return it for sure if you outline the issues. I would HIGHLY suggest checking out a bike store before you buy a bike from ANY big box shop (Walmart, Canadian Tire, Zellers, Sport Mart, etc etc etc). For just a little more you get a LOT more in terms of quality and performance. Many bike shops have a service chart with different (higher) rates for bikes from big box stores. You can even go by brand anymore because some brands that used to mean quality are crap now (Diamondback is a great example). Just goto a local bike store and try out a few, you'll be glad you did..
|\|egZero |/\|as |-|ere
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
184 upvotes
Surrey
FlintBlade wrote:
Mar 27th, 2007 9:31 am
So just wondering, I've returned many things before far later than just a day. But just want to make sure that they will return this POS bike.
With respect, I have to say...why is it that rather than making a quick phone call to the people who can give a definitive answer (in this case, the local Wal*Mart), people post questions like this to internet forums or newsgroups to get nothing more than opinions (and often uneducated opinions, at that)?

This is the sort of question that shouldn't need to be posted here, because an answer is so easy to find - in less time than it would have taken to post the question to the forum in the first place.

On a side note...what the heck do you expect when you pay $99 for a dual-shock mountain bike?!?!?! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2003
5722 posts
172 upvotes
Toronto
"it won't adjust when going over a bump, but it does when your on a flat surface, indicates that it's a crappy shock."

Most shocks for mountain bikes START at $200, SO YOU SHOULD HAVE KNOWN WHAT TO EXPECT .... whoops sorry.

Brent
--------------------------------------------------------------

"Any more irrelevant comments to pull out of your ***** ?"
"Your comments seem to be r ectal plucks." Pete_Coach

HEATWARE.... if you bought from me ... thanks
Dec 5, 2006
75 posts
2 upvotes
I don't know Walmart's return policy on bikes, but if it's like the rest of their stuff, should be no problem taking it back.

That said, it sounds like most of the problems are due to it being put together poorly. Gears not liking to shift or skipping and the chain falling off can probably be entirely fixed by adjusting the derailleurs. The rear shock may not be lubricated properly and it probably hasn't been set for your weight (if the shock can be adjusted, that is).

You're never going to get a decent full suspension bike for $99, but it should be possible to make it work in an acceptable manner. I put thousands of km on cheap Sears/HBC bikes when I was a kid and they worked fine. But you need someone who knows what they're doing to adjust the suspension and derailleurs.
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2843 posts
9 upvotes
iamnotamerican.com wrote:
Mar 27th, 2007 11:52 am
With respect, I have to say...why is it that rather than making a quick phone call to the people who can give a definitive answer (in this case, the local Wal*Mart), people post questions like this to internet forums or newsgroups to get nothing more than opinions (and often uneducated opinions, at that)?

This is the sort of question that shouldn't need to be posted here, because an answer is so easy to find - in less time than it would have taken to post the question to the forum in the first place.

On a side note...what the heck do you expect when you pay $99 for a dual-shock mountain bike?!?!?! :cheesygri
I would reply to this statement with something like . . . some people enjoy feedback and advice from strangers on forums that are well-rounded and respectable.

I for one would never hesitate to just post it up and see others response as this is what "Forums" are for. PLUS shopping discussion is not a very big part of the RFD network and thus this thread isn't really intruding upon other deemed "more important" threads.

I personally find no problem with such actions and requires no necessity to question the basis for the post, and your question is rhetorical so why bother typing it out since you know the answer.

In any case, Flintblade the problems of your "chain popping off", gears not properly shifting, shock being poorly built can be answered.

The chain and poor shifting can be fixed to a certain degree depending on the part at hand and whether it offers any "room for adjustment". The shock in this case is just poorly built to begin with and probably just uses a standard coil-over with little if not none "oil" inside. Not much you can do except swap it out with another shock if you intend to "Fix it" but in your case you're not.

Chain slack may be a reason why it keeps mis-shifting and popping off can be due to poor deraileur tension adjustment.

Newho, you shouldn't have a problem returning it only because it is in such a short period of time. Walmart does have a fairly decent return-policy as long as you're sincere and kind about it. Just make sure its in "immaculate" condition before you return it :cheesygri and not downtrodden with dirt or anything

hope this helps
[OP]
Banned
Aug 28, 2005
4338 posts
34 upvotes
Hamilton
Well, I thought I would just get an answer from a Forum based community. It is likely, believe it or not, that the people on this forum will know more than those that work at walmart. I mean, people here may have tried it and it worked. If you call, they may say no. Just because, by you returning it, I guess that can lower their anual Profit Share check. That and newcomers, might not know the policy.

Ya, I knew for $99 it wouldn't be amazing, but I thought it would be decent. Especially since it was made by Dyno. I went there today to test ride the GMC Topkick for $299, the difference is phenominal and it probably isn't that great of a bike either. But the Topkick surely is a lot better. They also had a $449 single shock bike. I wonder how that would compare with the $299 GMC topkick dual suspension, and the $399 Dyno Fierce dual suspension.

On wednesday, I'm going to exchange this bike for a better one. Wondering what I should choose.
[OP]
Banned
Aug 28, 2005
4338 posts
34 upvotes
Hamilton
Rx-87 wrote:
Mar 28th, 2007 12:02 am
I would reply to this statement with something like . . . some people enjoy feedback and advice from strangers on forums that are well-rounded and respectable.

I for one would never hesitate to just post it up and see others response as this is what "Forums" are for. PLUS shopping discussion is not a very big part of the RFD network and thus this thread isn't really intruding upon other deemed "more important" threads.

I personally find no problem with such actions and requires no necessity to question the basis for the post, and your question is rhetorical so why bother typing it out since you know the answer.

In any case, Flintblade the problems of your "chain popping off", gears not properly shifting, shock being poorly built can be answered.

The chain and poor shifting can be fixed to a certain degree depending on the part at hand and whether it offers any "room for adjustment". The shock in this case is just poorly built to begin with and probably just uses a standard coil-over with little if not none "oil" inside. Not much you can do except swap it out with another shock if you intend to "Fix it" but in your case you're not.

Chain slack may be a reason why it keeps mis-shifting and popping off can be due to poor deraileur tension adjustment.

Newho, you shouldn't have a problem returning it only because it is in such a short period of time. Walmart does have a fairly decent return-policy as long as you're sincere and kind about it. Just make sure its in "immaculate" condition before you return it :cheesygri and not downtrodden with dirt or anything

hope this helps
Yes, it helped a lot. Very informative, I don't know a lot about bikes. But I must say, it does appear to just be your standard low quality coil shock. The chain might be fixable. I'm not sure if I want to put any time into it though. Might be easier to just buy a better bike. Although I must say, this could be a good investment when I have to ride to the sketchy parts of town. I do ride around many areas that I can trust I won't get the bike stolen when riding it, or when its locked up. Which is where the Topkick for example can come into play. But, sometimes I ride down to Nightschool which is in a very sketchy area. Not likely some one would steal this POS, but it's not much of a loss if they do :P
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2843 posts
9 upvotes
Flintblade.. if your budget allows for you to spend over $200 cdn.. please PLEASE for the sake of your enjoyment and whatever __________ (your input) :lol:

GO and talk to a local bike shop.... and consult what bikes they have to offer for your price range... ANYTHING from a bike shop is most definitely better than one from a big name chain.. yes this includes sportchek :lol:

I'll give you something here to work with..

Decent shifting levels generally encompass these names on the "front and rear derailleurs" as well as shifters.. shifters being those pods you use your thumb or index to gear through your drivetrain..

The reason i'm telling you to look into this is that in your case, practicality wise other than the aesthetics of the bike. . what you really want is good shifting / gears . . half the items below won't necessary be found on department store bikes... even if sportchek has this stuff.. do not buy those bikes as the frames are ... well just shoddy welds in comparison to what you could buy for a similar price at a BIKE STORE.

Newho if you check out a bike store this is what you'll see.. and i'm going to list what they do and the price range to give you an example of "how to haggle with them".. haha note that these are very VERY approx. prices.. like probably off by $50 bux or so. . dont' take my word for it though.. as prices really vary between different bike shops.. ALSO.. if you buy smaller items bEFORE you buy a bike and make friends with some of the managers there ;) you can always ask for a deal ^_^, thats how friendly most bike shops are.. make sure its a big one.. smaller one, this procedure might be harder. LOL..

Oh, and most low-end forks are really much the same honest. . if you are going to cherish your bike.. trust me go and buy one at a bike shop.
Most important part of a bike other than the gears is really the frame, and most brand name companies makes good frames so the focus really now is your gears as they really can make or break a price point of a bike.. aside from the suspension and the drivetrain, but we're not talking about those now yet are we so.. here I go in trying to explain.. lol

DERAILLEURS "they really are an essential part of the bike.. basically your gear system"
I'm only going to talk about Shimano as well thats the stuff I'm using, theres something called "Sram" too.. but there are stories of them not being as reliable as Shimano, price wise too.

Another thing before reading this is that bikes may come with parts with these different series. What i mean is that a bike may not come with all shimano Acera... or Shimano Alivio.. it might be mixed inbetween.. get the idea yet?

But most importantly is this... as long as you get a nice decent bike you like for cheap... one can definitely upgrade these parts on the bike by simple removal and installation. It'll take some time for sure, but one could always enjoy the better shifting right? Separately, these parts are actually pretty expensive compared to the overall cost of buying a bike whole... but hey.. if one doesn't have the budget to build what they want outright.. might have to finance it through little upgrades at a time.

Shimano Acera -> is the most basic, common stuff (i.e. it'll be good for minimal biking on and off-road.. and if you push it hard.. as in power through the gears etc.. you will most definitely have to make derailleur adjustments every so often, which is easily done through adjusting two screws on your derailleur as well as the barrel adjuster) Check Parktools.com and go to "how to fix bikes" or something in that similar range of name to see what i'm talking about :-0

Price of bike with such gears.. approx.
$200 + cdn

Shimano Alivio is a little better, when i first started MTB, i had these and actually made it through hardcore trails... as in able to grind the gears to shift.. but like Acera will require constant derailleur adjustments after some hard pedalling but varies from time to time"

$300 + .. maybe more depending on the other parts of the bike cdn

Shimano Deore now we're talking, this series is the intro-MTB equipment. Definitely good stuff for shifting and lasts much longer than alivio and acera. Also requires less adjustments within a longer timespan. However, like the other two before this series the adjustments aren't THE GREATEST, but definitely will last you a LONGGG time without having to do any adjustments, plus looks a lot better in design too.

$500 - 1000 cdn

Shimano Deore LX Basically the upgraded version than the DEORE, more durable, easier to maintain and derailleur adjustments are easy and precise.

$900 - 1400 cdn

Shimano Deore XT Oh baby.. this is just before the top of the line derailleur.. lightweight, durable, easy to maintain, very easy to adjustment. . i.e. does not require a lot of tweaking to get gears nice and smoooooth.

$1400 - 2000 again, depending on how good of a deal you can break with the managers, AND if you buy these at any bike show sales... guaranteed tons of bikes with parts like these for under 1500 tax incl. cdn

Shimano XTR professional grade race version. . basically teh stuff that olympians or hardcore bikers or anyone that just loves bike would endear to have on their rides . . (rides as in mountain bikes -_-", not motorcycles)"

$3000 + only because.. bikes like these tends to be VERY VERY specialized within each single component to ensure the finest detail and engineering to produce the best performance.. cdn

Again, I have to say that the prices of bikes with Acera and Alivio may or may not be around those marked prices.. only because i have seen bikes marked to around $400 bucks with those parts.. But the value of those parts on a bike including frame, etc etc.. should be around $200 + .. but again.. depending on other parts.. such as what brakes they come with "these are also just as important" :cheesygri , then prices can vary... OHH try and get disc-brakes... but that might cost you a bit more.. unless you install them yourself... and if you plan on installing disc-brakes yourself. . make sure that teh bike you buy if equipped with v-brakes have rims that are "disc-compatible" meaning.. they're ready to install disc brakes without having to buy a new set of rims that can hold disc brakes. Also make sure to ask whether the bike frame itself can support disc brakes...

Mmm some parts you might find on low end bikes mtb at stores.. as i'm assuming thats what you're going for? should ahve truvativ cranks, cane creek headsets... and some marzocchi fork.. or something, forgot really. . just make sure the gears are good and the brakes are either capable of upgrading to disc brakes, or are already installed with them.

Hope this helps, though I am missing out on a lot of tiny information. . but if you just ask them they'll answer you. . these are just approximations of what to look for within a bike shop. . oh one more thing...

bikes that are one year OLDER than our present date are going to be at least cheaper by like 25% . . or more even so if you're not too concerned about the year.. ask if they still have some 2005 bikes.. or even 2004.. n if they do.. ask for further price reductions or something LOL. .
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2843 posts
9 upvotes
ohh i missed the part about using it in "sketchy parts" of town or parking outside..

hahaha if your'e intending to use it as a city commuter . . . . if your'e intending to buy your bike at a local bike shop now.. "which i hope you are" :) because you won't regret your purchase as much later on. . though you might if it happens to break on you for some unknown reason. . which could happen, who knows..

But if you are intending to buy from a bike shop.. ask if they can give you a discount on accessories or even GIVE you a free GOOD lock... now the one i'm suggesting is heavy duty top of the line stuff . . its expensive.. but its beefy and normal lock cutters can't destroy this.. unless some !#% has a torch blower or the jaws of life :cheesygri . . well 'm overexaggerating..

its a U-lock called the Kryptonite NEW YORKER.. or New York... costs approx $100 cdn.. when not on sale . . if you can . . ask them to give you a discount on that one.. or even give it to you for free lol..

Also when locking the bike... make sure you look it through the front wheel and frame, with this and it should help deter a bit of thieves.. though nothing ever does =(

My best suggestion is to simply park it indoors and lock it indoors =D... thats your safest bet. . seriously.. i'm sure at nightschool they'll allow you to put it inside.. as long as you have a good reason.. like come on ! ! its a SCHOOOL .. they have tons of room :lol:

regardless though, locks are really just a minor preventive measure so don't rely on them too much.. i've known too many people at school just getting their daily commuters stolen.. even if it was shoddy or not... thieves do not care.. as long as they can get it. . but again this also depends on the social construct of the city as well.

NEVER LET YOUR GUARD DOWN... you will regret it if you do > :(

newho, best of luck on your purchase.. n post here as to what it is when you do finally get it
Deal Addict
Jul 17, 2005
2843 posts
9 upvotes
oh one more thing.. the prices on bikes that I've been quoting is really for hardtails... sorry if I mislead you to think that these were prices for a full suspension

Like another person said on this thread.. full suspensions.. will BASIC deore.. will cost you over 1500.. only because the extra linkages and the shock.. if its a good shock... makes up for that hefty increase in price.. .. yeaa blame the manufacturers LOL..

Trust me.. a hardtail is fine as it is.. but full suspension is just more fun as you can go down curbs without fearing for your rims being bent :cheesygri

Also, within bike shops.. different categories of bikes.. dirt jump, etc etc... in your scenario.. if you can fork out the right amonunt of money... i'll say go dirt jump bike... cuz they're cool, beefy, nice and heavy duty meant for impact.. and is practically cheaper than Cross-Country Mountain Bikes...

A lineup below dirt jumpers would be... your everyday commuter bike.. which they'll tell you at the bike shop.. if this bike is meant for easy riding or not.

Oh and here are some brands to choose from... i'll list from best to least.
though there is a slight bias towards this list by me when typing it :lol:

1) Rocky Mountain
2) Kona
3) Norco
4) Giant
5) Fuji
6) GT
7) Haro

Of course there are other brands but those aren't in your price range.

okay, i think i'm done for a bit. . hope this REALLY helps.. and i cannot emphasize as to how important it is to just buy it from a bike shop... you'll feel better afterwards too

:lol:

speaking of which... i have to go find myself a roadbike soon LOL.... mmm

Oh and 'm just lazy to edit the posts again.. as I'm sure you're done reading so much info within a single message, so I thought i'll space it out for you.
Jan 19, 2007
728 posts
6 upvotes
Ontario
I've seen people returning bikes at Walmart. From what your saying its sounds defective. As long as you got the reciept (90 days or less since you purchased it) you should have no problems returning/exchanging it.
× < >